PDA

View Full Version : Collins Friday in the Rain!

ropfer
04-28-2014, 08:01 AM
My buddy and I were planning on trolling Oroville this last Friday in search of some hold-over Coho, but when we saw the possible thunderstorms in the forecast, we decided not to become lightning rod material and headed to Collins.

Arrived at dawn and headed out to a spot I like over by the dam, but we found it taken by campers. Nice guys, but I'm not sure how you fit four full grown dudes in a 5th wheel that looked to be sized for two... kinda looked like a clown car when they woke up and kept coming out :)

Anyway, it was fortuitous since we had to move down to a spot I wasn't used to which turned out to be awesome! We had a fairly steady bite and never went more than 15-30 minutes between fish. Wound up catching 10 fish, 9 trout & 1 bass with the largest fish to 3.5 pounds. We did lose one when it was able to pull one of our stringers out of the ground and from under a rock... Kudos to my buddy for getting his feet wet and grabbing the stringer saving all but one from getting away!

I brought all the trout home, butterflied them and vacuum packed the ones we didn't eat for dinner that night. Nothing like butterflied trout breaded and pan fried in olive oil! :heart1:

End of story is even with a steady rain, occasional wind, chilly temps and a fair number of lost gear from shore snags, it was a good day!

BTW, every time I've gone to Collins this year and fished from the shore, including the Fish Sniffer tournament, snags and lost gear have been the rule... Anyone know why or have a suggestion on a better way to fish there without the snags? I bought some "Walking Weights" on eBay that are supposed to be snag-less and they helped, but we still lost about 1/3 of our rigs. :nerves:

fool4fish
04-28-2014, 08:37 AM
most reports from collins are from boaters, and i thought yours was also. nice to see that
bankers can also do well there. Do not see the Bass in your pictures, guess you let her go?
those fried fillets look so gooooood! Going to have to try Collins soon.

JoeReal
04-28-2014, 09:13 AM
most reports from collins are from boaters, and i thought yours was also. nice to see that
bankers can also do well there. Do not see the Bass in your pictures, guess you let her go?

I usually do very well by the boat docks, fishing at night with underwater lights catching planted trout and occasional browns. Sometimes by day is also good fishing. There are nice tiny bluegills by the dock, then I get them and butterfly those bluegills and use as bait to get at least anywhere from 2-lber to 10-lber catfish.

salmonid
04-28-2014, 09:44 AM
That's a great first post! Welcome to the sniffer.

Were you soaking bait? Anyway it seems like lots of good trips coming from Collins.

Best,

ps. I liked the part about the clown car. LOL.

ropfer
04-28-2014, 09:56 AM

The bass was just a little guy, 1/4 pound maybe. In fact, I didn't even know he was on until I reeled in... I was floating a worm under a clear water bobber and I was just checking bait when he started to move.

ropfer
04-28-2014, 10:00 AM
That's a great first post! Welcome to the sniffer.

Were you soaking bait? Anyway it seems like lots of good trips coming from Collins.

Best,

ps. I liked the part about the clown car. LOL.

We were using Powerbait & Gulp... Garlic flavor, especially Chunky Cheese Garlic seemed to work the best although we did get hits on corn flavored Zeke's and night crawlers

broncofanatic36
05-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Collins has a lot of rocks out by the dam area. similar to what the dam is made of, so you will get a lot of snags when fishing around that type of structure. Over by the beach (swimming area) it is more like gravel and you usually get less snags. Unfortunately, trout like to be around rocks more than trees (unless there is current) or mud.

YUBADUBA
05-02-2014, 06:34 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=w6tjU8PHJcT_oQTKtYHQAQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Da3QAHZicSjQ&cd=1&ved=0CDMQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEDA6kxGjSMZNohSnD2VBMngdoK1A

This is what I thought of when you talked about the campers.

Starts at 1:34

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

salmonid
05-02-2014, 08:11 AM
haha Coolio!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=w6tjU8PHJcT_oQTKtYHQAQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Da3QAHZicSjQ&cd=1&ved=0CDMQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEDA6kxGjSMZNohSnD2VBMngdoK1A

This is what I thought of when you talked about the campers.

Starts at 1:34