PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sickness?

Tony_P
04-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Any recommendations on motion sickness medication besides Dramamine since that makes me sleepy?

AnglingWes
04-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Any motion sickness medication OTC is going to cause drowsiness for some people. The patch isn't as bad as the pills, but honestly, you should consult a physician for the best option.

There are also many home remedies that some swear by. A good buddy of mine in Seattle is on the water 4-7 days a week. He still gets sick frequently. His solution is to eat scrambled eggs all day on the boat and avoid all liquids other than water.

sportygirl
04-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Haaa I swear the corona liquid helps me!!! Lol. They used to sell wrist bands that had a plastic piece that pushed on a certain pressure point that helped with nausea... Almost like a sweat ban... I used on an outing on the ocean long time ago helped!!! But haven't seem them lately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr
04-29-2014, 01:38 AM
Get the Bonine. Raspberry chewableswe used to sell the Sea bands here at Target but not anymore.

Seon
04-29-2014, 05:23 AM
The wrist band works for me. Can be bought at Walmart, CVS, Walgreen, etc.

http://saveritemedical.s3.amazonaws.com/product_images/indemed/400198_MOTIONSICKNESS.GIF

fishingmark
04-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Go to a health food store and get ginger pills and or drink ginger ale take with food at least a couple of hours prior to going out on the water.

Cali Duck
04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Go to a health food store and get ginger pills and or drink ginger ale take with food at least a couple of hours prior to going out on the water.

My wife uses ginger Tummydrops. They help, though not a cure all.

http://amzn.to/1ke61Ac

Cali Duck
04-29-2014, 04:58 PM

My wife uses ginger Tummydrops. They help, though not a cure all.

Amazon.com: Tummydrops Ginger (bag of 30 individually wrapped drops): Health & Personal Care (http://amzn.to/1ke61Ac)

Elsancho
04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Candied ginger is what I use. Works great without the drowsiness of the motion sickness pills. I also sip on ginger ale while on the boat.

gon_troln
04-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Dramamine has come out with a non drowsy pill. I've tried them and they do not make you sleepy at all.
gt

fishnmike
04-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Dramamine has come out with a non drowsy pill. I've tried them and they do not make you sleepy at all.
gt

Yup, called meclazine. Can get it in generic and wayyyy less expensive.

I have begun using the Scopace patches and really like those.

Skipjacker707
04-30-2014, 09:33 PM
I don't get seasick but my buddies use the non drowsy Dramamine and they seem fine.

slick88
04-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Yup, called meclazine. Can get it in generic and wayyyy less expensive.

Yeah, I use this which is also the main ingredient in Dramanine II and Bonine. But the generic brand Meclizine is only $5 for 100 pills at the Costco pharmacy.

Ducks247
04-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Dramamine and a twelve pack of beer!! You won't be tired if your catching fish lol. A good nap before the drive home and a red bull do the trick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foulh00ked
05-05-2014, 09:04 PM
One experience I had on the ocean and took motion sickness pills as well. Threw up for a little over 6 hours. Next outing I got used to it. I think some people just gotta endure it sometimes.

Hamachi_Kama
05-06-2014, 10:34 AM
If you can find it - Zentrip.

It's the same active ingredient as bonnine. The difference is in the application - its a melting blotter for fast absorption, and is the only oral medication I've seen work after the fact. I did a Farralons trip a few years ago and there was some sick pups on board. Gave them a dose each, and within 15 minutes - ready to fish. Excellent stuff!

DRF
05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
If it wasn't mentioned before , one could go to the Dr and ask for Scopace... from what I've seen it will cure motion sickness even after you get it.

Good luck.

kromebrite
05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Zentrip; sounds like something that would have mescaline, not mezcaline in it LOL.
Enough with the joking as puking your guts up until there is nothing but yellow stomach bile is certainly no laughing matter. Having been there and ruined some great trips, what I have learned works for me is Bonine(or the generic). I take a pill before bed and then another dose in the morning. I have found that taking a dose before bed is crucial to the meds working in my case. I have tried the patch with minimal benefit. Ginger tea only produced good flavored chunky gushers. I have tried electronic wristbands that shoot small electrical pulses on the wrist. This was just a tingling annoyance as I grabbed the rail and heaved.
So, just my opinion of what I found works and is not meant as medical advice. Talk with the doc about options. This is what has worked for me after much experimentation. I am so confident now that I may even be bold enough to try another Bodega bay rockfish trip. Anyone remember going to Cordell banks? That was a favorite place of mine to exercise a technicolor yawn. What angered me was getting back on the dock and suddenly feeling better until I was handed my sack of charity fish. That will teach a guy humility, LOL.

elkhornsun
05-18-2014, 01:31 PM
My wife had great results with scopolamine when it could be bought in the USA in tablet form. The one company making them decided to stop selling them so now they avoids going out on the ocean. The transderm patches are formulated to work on anyone so a 300 lb. person and a 80 lb. kid are getting the exact same dose. If someone is moderately prone to motion sickness and on board I let them take the helm and keep their mind busy. A boat with a no smoking policy helps as their is nothing worse even if you don't get motion sickness than being downwind of a cheap cigar along with diesel exhaust fumes. Some people are helped by the wrist bands that send a small charge and they are not expensive and might help. A friend would spend the night before we went out sleeping on my boat and it made a big difference in how he felt when out on the water the following day.

RockcodN8
05-24-2014, 06:29 PM
My wife had great results with scopolamine when it could be bought in the USA in tablet form. The one company making them decided to stop selling them so now they avoids going out on the ocean. The transderm patches are formulated to work on anyone so a 300 lb. person and a 80 lb. kid are getting the exact same dose. If someone is moderately prone to motion sickness and on board I let them take the helm and keep their mind busy. A boat with a no smoking policy helps as their is nothing worse even if you don't get motion sickness than being downwind of a cheap cigar along with diesel exhaust fumes. Some people are helped by the wrist bands that send a small charge and they are not expensive and might help. A friend would spend the night before we went out sleeping on my boat and it made a big difference in how he felt when out on the water the following day.

you buy the equivalent to scopace online from Australia, its called kwells. pill form of scopace is great.

whitecap
05-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Go to Costco and get the mescaline. never ever had anyone get sick on it. no drowsiness. Beer always helps too.

heatsource
05-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Go to Costco and get the mescaline.

that'd be wild if they sold that at costco

Mescaline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mescaline)

kris k
05-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Mescaline helps because you'll be too busy thinking your melting into the ocean and having a conversation with the porpoise elders to worry about getting sick.

kris k
05-25-2014, 07:39 AM
While your at it, combining methamphetamine with a large dose of Dramamine will help counteract the drowsiness...