PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Favorite Way to Smoke Fresh Trout ???????

Gene St. Denis
04-29-2014, 06:54 AM
Whats your Favorite Way to Smoke Trout ??????? :1sheep03h7ot: Let us Know your Favorite Wood and Techniques for the Ultimate Smoking and Grilling System !!!! :bbq1: gst

Gene St. Denis
04-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Hickory Chips are my Favorite !!! :bananasplits: gst

sollimes
04-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Apple wood chips for me!

outdoordude
04-29-2014, 07:57 AM
I agree with apple wood. When I go to chico the see the folks dad always gives the trimmings off his cherry trees also. Cherry or apple. A friend of mine told me he uses a dry rub now adays instead of a brine for trout and kokes, and I tried it and tasted great. Basic spices for the rub as you would in a brine, can't remember them right now and the only liquid was a few splashes of werchestershire.

JoeReal
04-29-2014, 07:58 AM
One of the best are citrus stems. When someone in your neighborhood trims down their citruses, trim off the leaves and then cut the stems into 1 1/2" sections and put inside ziploc bags and freeze until you want to use them as smoke chips. This way, you won't need to rehydrate them. It produces much better aroma than the other chips out there!

I am a citrus afficionado and it is one of the secrets.

JoeReal
04-29-2014, 08:11 AM
I use the regular Weber charcoal BBQ grill as my smoker, it is quite very easy to setup for the number of fish that will fit on the grill.

Assuming you have marinated your trout in your secret smoke marinate mix, do the following steps.

Prepare the BBQ grill for a smoke setup.

Cut to shape, heavy duty aluminum foil, slightly larger in diameter that will cover entirely the hot coals.

From the extra pieces of aluminum foil that you cut, roll the chips, such as the citrus stems, in the aluminum foil, with open ends.

Prepare the hot coals, start the fire and make them hot.

Meanwhile, clean the grill and rub olive oil on it or other non-stick oil.
Arrange the fish in the grill so that they all fit nicely, giving some in-between space for smoke to go thru. Do not put over the hot coals yet.

When the coals are ready, spread them out, immediately place the aluminum-wrapped citrus chips. Use about 4 rolls that are 2" thick and space evenly over the hot coals. Immediately cover the entire hot coal pit with aluminum foil so that no direct heat from the coal is showing.

Then place the metal grill that has been preloaded with fish, and then put the BBQ cover. Adjust the vent opening on the grill to control the smoke. I initially close the vent and then after ten minutes open it to about 1/4 to 1/2.

Leave the smoke to proceed for a couple of hours and check.

It produces fantastic smoked fish, without using a professional smoker.

The smoked fish would taste better when you serve it cold.

Enjoy.

First off, prepare your smoking chips. I

Brickinthewall98
04-29-2014, 01:45 PM
I love apple wood for my trout

Bassassin83
04-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Whats your Favorite Way to Smoke Trout ??????? :1sheep03h7ot: Let us Know your Favorite Wood and Techniques for the Ultimate Smoking and Grilling System !!!! :bbq1: gst

Cigar papers and a lighter

Gene St. Denis
04-29-2014, 03:07 PM
We prefer ether HickeryChips , Apple chips, and of Coarse... Cherry wood Chips soaked in water a bit before putting on the charcoals . :bananachaga: A little Marinade first for the Fillets , such as Teriyaki , Lemon pepper and olive oil, etc. Pam on the Grill and then Walla !!!!! :bbq1: gst

ThatOneGuy?
04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Oh boy... I can go on forever about smoked trout but there is only one that I hold dearly and it was given to me by a good Japanese friend of mine whom studied here in Cali for a year... I swear to god it was the best smoked trout I've ever tasted and damn the brine was expensive but worth it!

Step 1. ORANGE or PINK meat trout is best suited for this application.
Step 2. Make the brine. Half pound of brown sugar. quarter cup of kosher salt. 3 teaspoon Sake. 1 teaspoon of mirin. Half cup of soy sauce. Mix with "fresh" bottled water of your choice.
Step 3. Stir brine until completely dissolved.
Step 4. Add fish fillets.
Step 5. Give it approximately 12 hours in the brine.
Step 6. Remove from brine and dry off fillets.
Step 7. CHERRY WOOD! mix slightly with Alder for max sweetness in smoker.
Step 8. Rack up fish and smoke depending on size of fillets, 4-8 hours.
Step 9. The most important step! Crack open a beer and call some friends over!:redface:

Hope this helps.

hainesfisherman
04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
I like an apple wood alder mix, alder can be hard to find for me sometimes but is worth the effort. Gotta love some jalapenos in the brine too.:thumbsup:

Jetspray
04-29-2014, 06:53 PM
I am not too picky on the brine, but I do use a vacuum sealer to drive in the flavor. As far as the wood, I use very little and have 4 wood boxes to switch out. When one goes low on smoke, I simply switch it out, make sure you use very little of the wood at a time and make sure it is soaked. Thing about smoke is it can overwhelm whatever you are smoking. Temperature is more important, I have portable thermometers for this purpose, one in the meat and one for the smoker temp. Best way to go for me........Jetspray

Troutbead
04-30-2014, 05:36 AM
I like my trouts rolled in apple flavored zig zags. Keeping them lighted is my only problem

Gene St. Denis
04-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Sounds good guys !!!! A friend blends all 4 ... alder, cherry, hickory, and apple Chips lightly soaked or dipped in water first before application to charcoals. :bbq1: Fresh Grilled Trout on the Fire Place Giddle at Bowmman Campground is a Hard Memory to Top !!!! Nor the Massive Splashs at Night , all Night Long !!!!! :fish_jumps: gst

outdoordude
05-30-2014, 07:54 AM
I've used this one twice recently with great results:
In a glass 9x14, or depending on how much fish you have, a light sprinkle of kosher or sea salt, place filets skin side down, another light sprinkle of salt, medium sprinkle of Old Bay, medium to more sprinkle of McCormick Salad Supreme, if you can find it, lightly cover with brown sugar, just enough teriyaki to keep moist, a couple of splashes of Worchestershire sauce and a couple splashes of OJ. Cover for 2-4hrs. I use a brinkmann gas and throw the chips in at start and a couple times untill done. Damb, gonna have to pull some out for breakfast. Yummm.

Cali Duck
05-30-2014, 10:40 AM
I had pretty decent success just going with a basic wet brine:

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup canning salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
8 cups water

Brine over night, pat dry, leave out for pelicle to form. Smoke 1-2 hours. Worked well for me on some Kokanee, though the rib meat was a tad bit salty:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/31/uza2avet.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/31/bame6a3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy_M
05-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Here is a recipe from a recent batch of smoked Salmon I've done, it might work well for trout too but I haven't tried it.

Indian Candy

1. Mix 3 cups dark brown sugar and 1 cup kosher salt in a large bowl.
2. Apply a generous layer of the dry brine into an empty tupperware container.
3. Lay your fish skin side down on the dry brine.
4. Pack more of the dry brine on top and all around the fish (it's like buried treasure :biggrin:).
5. Refrigerate overnight for at least 12 hours.
6. The dry brine will pull the moisture out of the fish and turn the dry brine into a wet brine.
7. Add honey and molasses to the wet brine, close lid, and shake for a few minutes.
8. Allow it to marinate in the refrigerator for 4 more hours.
9. Rinse off the brine.
10. Air dry
11. Smoke

I smoked my Salmon with alder wood chips @ 165-170 degrees for 4 hours.

~Your patience will be rewarded~ Alton Brown

Taribor
06-01-2014, 03:46 PM
I mix 1c salt, 1c brown sugar, garlic, onions, and to be honest, whatever spices at the time that sound good and mix with 1qt water...brine for two hours.

Pat dry the put a fan on it for another hour until it has a tacky feel.

Then smoke on apple chips for 2 hours at 175-200.

I am new to this but one lesson learned already is the difference between pink meat and white meat trout. The pink smoked much better for me, though the white meat tasted good after sitting in the fridge day or two (much stronger smoke flavor came through). I read the pink meat is from fish that eat a lot of crawfish and white meat is from eating minnows/other fish....never heard that before but makes sense I guess but who knows.