PDA

View Full Version : Reno River

Prettyman01
04-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Fished the Truckee again midday from noon-3 and managed 6 fish to 18" with all but one other being 8-12". Bigger fish put up great fights and all came on bait. This river kicks @$$! Anyone know if its legal to use small rainbows as bait for browns in Nevada?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Jetspray
05-01-2014, 04:14 AM
This river kicks @$$! Anyone know if its legal to use small rainbows as bait for browns in Nevada?

I dunno Mike maybe give it a look.........Jetspray
http://www.ndow.org/

salmonid
05-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Anyone know if its legal to use small rainbows as bait for browns in Nevada?

That is illegal.

Lifted
05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Fished the Truckee again midday from noon-3 and managed 6 fish to 18" with all but one other being 8-12". Bigger fish put up great fights and all came on bait. This river kicks @$$! Anyone know if its legal to use small rainbows as bait for browns in Nevada?

Good job. The Truckee can be hard to figure out unless you fish by the parks where they plant the hell out of them. What section were you fishing?

Troutbead
05-01-2014, 10:41 AM

just throw a rainbow trout colored rapala

hainesfisherman
05-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Anyone know if its legal to use small rainbows as bait for browns in Nevada?

I just use a mini rapala and maybe some weight so it will hold in the current, kinda like trolling, and it works great

Prettyman01
05-01-2014, 04:13 PM
For sure on the lures but was hoping to sit back and soak some live bait in a few deep runs. Thanks guys.

Lifted
05-01-2014, 04:59 PM
As far I know the only place nearby that you can use live bait is Tahoe. However I'm 99% sure that you still can't use store bought minnows and have to catch them yourself with a minnow trap. The states I've most fished recently, CA & MN, both have the law that basically says you can't use a species of gamefish as bait for a larger gamefish, which I think NV has too.

Jfitalia
05-01-2014, 05:02 PM
For sure on the lures but was hoping to sit back and soak some live bait in a few deep runs. Thanks guys.

You can soak bait just not a rainbow trout.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Lifted
05-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I just use a mini rapala and maybe some weight so it will hold in the current, kinda like trolling, and it works great

That makes me wonder.... are you talking like a sliding sinker rig in a deep slow run with a floating Rapala or swimbait? If there's enough current to make it swim yet stay in place that seems like it could work well. Then again, unless it's a big wide river the fish may not be moving around enough to see it, unless they were already in the pool/run. I usually fly fish in rivers so I've never experimented with that kind of thing.

Prettyman01
05-01-2014, 08:20 PM
As far I know the only place nearby that you can use live bait is Tahoe. However I'm 99% sure that you still can't use store bought minnows and have to catch them yourself with a minnow trap. The states I've most fished recently, CA & MN, both have the law that basically says you can't use a species of gamefish as bait for a larger gamefish, which I think NV has too.

I figured as much but it was worth an inquiry. I think you can do the minnow trap thing in Donner too.

hainesfisherman
05-01-2014, 11:33 PM
I'll use a sliding sinker if the current is the right speed for the action to be good and if you don't mind lifting your rod tip and casting a bit you can also backbounce them. Also if you have quicker current a swim bait with a floating jig head and a sliding sinker works well.

Jetspray
05-02-2014, 05:03 AM
Most of the time I use Berkley Atomics in Grasshopper or Cricket. Sometimes I use a gulp egg in red or orange, and rarely green. You can get them from WalMart cheaper than the website but here it is..........Jetspray PowerBait® Pre-Rigged Atomic Tubes | Berkley® (http://www.berkley-fishing.com/PowerBait%C2%AE-Pre-Rigged-Atomic-Tubes/1285468,default,pd.html#start=29&sz=16)

Sac/Striper/Slayer
05-02-2014, 06:35 AM

In ca in certain regions you can use live bait. You are not allowed to use any trout species as bait however. You could use game fish though. I am not sure if bluegill are considered game fish. Also a person could throw a 18" Striper on as bait as it's legal to keep but what's gonna eat that here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk