PDA

View Full Version : Sailor bar Lunchtime report

Livin4Fishin
05-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Talked to the ranger at the Sailor Bar entrence and he said he spoke with a handfull of guys today and every one of them reported not even a bite... still early with low flows... Oh well it may not be a slamming year like the ones I have read about on here, but they will get here and i will have my first shad this year, I keep hoping Ill run into a fellow sniffer on my river adventures scouting and marking good looking spots on my gps... is there like a secret handshake or bird call or something I am too new to know about? Im waiting for my low income season pass (i work at a level 12 high school) then i will be hitting sacramento bar, sailor bar, or el manto on my lunch breaks and before or after work and will report as much as I can. Good luck and I hope to see a fellow sniffer out there sooner than later!

SteelHunter
05-02-2014, 12:39 PM
thanks for the report!

the secret handshake is very involved. by the time the ritual is done the school has already ran through.

better to just wet a line

LURKER916
05-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Gotta learn the secret shad shake... Thanks for the report.

Matt

49erbassman
05-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Just ask if they are a fish sniffer.......you get some weird looks though sometimes hahahaha

Jimmy_M
05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
You have to make the "so so" gesture with your hand (imitating a fish) just under your nose like you're taking in a whiff :grin:

LURKER916
05-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Just pm someone who posts a picture of a shad. Unless you are a troll or a jerkoff 9 times outa ten someone will take a second to help u out.

It's just that no one wants to post a location on here so when we go back out there is no room to cast.

I remember my first year posting spots. Whoops on me. Wondered where all the folks came from. It just happens. And they are shad. One day they aren't there. Next they are. They come to get laid then go back out in the salt. They are like the US NAVY on fleet week!

Matt

oWeakSoS
05-02-2014, 02:41 PM
I was there this morning! Not trying to steal your thread, but shine in a little. This is my first year Shad fishing (for sport only since Stripers has been very frustrating this Spring run). I started off at Ancil Hoffman (apparently it was closed till September) or maybe I was in the wrong area? Then I headed down to River Bend Park to look for a nice spot, but couldn't find a good area. Parked at Sailor Bar at 9:30 AM and fished the island till 11:30 AM. Saw a couple of fly fishermans and a boat which caught something (thinking it might of been a steelhead). Only caught a diaper striper within the first 10 minutes I was there. Seen maybe a dozen or more steelhead cruising by, two big HOG striper (at least 30+), but no shad to be seen. Water looked the same when I was fishing salmon last year which was low.

Livin4Fishin
05-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys for the info and persistence will pay off or ill be sending out a pm or 2 hahaha and reporting 2 hog stripers is always ok with me