PDA

View Full Version : Discovery/Paradise?

baustin
05-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Trying to get the girlfriend on her first Shad this season, my buddy floated from sailor bar to arden today and didn't see a thing. I was catching them this time, or maybe a week or two later, last year at discovery/paradise. Anyone know if they're entering the American yet, and if so how people have been doing at those spots thus far?

Sac/Striper/Slayer
05-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Getting any info this year is gonna be tough. Gotta get out there and do some leg work. It took me 3 solid seasons of not one fish then a season of maybe 20 fish total then the next season it was 20+ days and it's been the same even since. Last season and this one are extra tough due to low flows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sac/Striper/Slayer
05-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Perfect example. I put in my time but then I'll take a buddy who has never even fished the american river but has trout fishing skills and take him to a spot and he is catching shad

D Fish
05-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Trying to get the girlfriend on her first Shad this season, my buddy floated from sailor bar to arden today and didn't see a thing. I was catching them this time, or maybe a week or two later, last year at discovery/paradise. Anyone know if they're entering the American yet, and if so how people have been doing at those spots thus far?

I am sure some are.. I know there have been quite a few folks fishing the mouth at discovery, i must have seen 30 boats last sunday fishing shad, not to mention all of the people on the banks also.. I would give the mouth of the ar/sac a shot, I would try and go during the week if possible.. Waaayyyyyyy to many people on the weekends during this time of year, if so get out early.. Good luck!

baustin
05-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Appreciate the input, went there about 2 hours ago and it was empty, rigging up and heading out for the evening bite, will post if any luck.

baustin
05-06-2014, 01:43 PM
So no luck at Paradise on Saturday, saw a handful of other guys out there and one of them mentioned he'd caught 1 the previous day, but I didn't see any caught from 5-8 while I was out there.

Went to rossmoor bar yesterday with a friend in the late afternoon for about 4 hours, nothing happening, saw a couple other guys there as well but nothing caught. I was catching them at Paradise around this time last year.

Just going to keep at it until I find em, really want to get the girl on something that puts up a fight. She's hooked after catching her first trout (6 inches or so) at union valley and some blue gill/small bass at arden ponds last year.

If I get any useful info I'll spread it, I imagine most on here are already well aware of anything I could provide though.

Sac/Striper/Slayer
05-07-2014, 06:12 AM
So no luck at Paradise on Saturday, saw a handful of other guys out there and one of them mentioned he'd caught 1 the previous day, but I didn't see any caught from 5-8 while I was out there.

Went to rossmoor bar yesterday with a friend in the late afternoon for about 4 hours, nothing happening, saw a couple other guys there as well but nothing caught. I was catching them at Paradise around this time last year.

Just going to keep at it until I find em, really want to get the girl on something that puts up a fight. She's hooked after catching her first trout (6 inches or so) at union valley and some blue gill/small bass at arden ponds last year.

If I get any useful info I'll spread it, I imagine most on here are already well aware of anything I could provide though.

That last paragraph may keep u from getting any useful info!

baustin
05-07-2014, 08:31 AM
That last paragraph may keep u from getting any useful info!

Should've been more clear, I'd only share information I gathered myself by going out. I got some help from some guys last year that put me on my first shad ever, so I try to pay it forward as much as I can without giving anyone's secrets away. I don't share tips I've received from others as I know they share it assuming it will be kept confidential.

fishingfrieda
05-07-2014, 08:40 AM
It's shad. Share everything you can except someone else's spot or what someone pm's you.
I think big ant has put everything someone needs to know about shad set ups on here. You can look at last seasons shad threads and find anything you need to know about set ups with pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

LURKER916
05-07-2014, 08:40 AM
No the super secret hot sauce recipe!

LURKER916
05-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Frieda, i disagree ma'am.
There are those of us who started fishing for them two months ago, and will continue thru salmon season. Spend HOURS trying different methods, reading waters, learning... Reading books, and the entire time cleaning up the spots we fish because of all the trash left by others.

And then there are those that ask the same questions over and over again.
" hey I've never shad fished and want to learn, what do I do and where are they? Thanks!"
With no contributions to these boards. So we hesitate in giving out info.

And you see why there might be some folks a little put off. And to say "they are shad, share everything"
I take that probably the way a hardcore steelhead fisherman would take it if you were to substitute steelhead for the word shad.

To me they are not just shad.

fishingfrieda
05-07-2014, 09:14 AM
I hear you. Like I said, I would never recommend giving a spot someone was generous enough to give you , ever. Spots are sacred to me and a lot if people especially when they have taken the time to scout out spots away from the crowd. As far as set up goes, many people have been generous on this board to give step by step instruction with pics. When you put them to use, it's still a learning curve.
A say it's just shad because they are plentiful and a good fish to learn on and get kids to love fishing. So to me, if people are generous enough to come and post what they know and you learn from it, you should share what you learn to others.

LURKER916
05-07-2014, 09:18 AM
It's just shad.....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/ede7yde7.jpg

Blasphemy!

Matt

fishingfrieda
05-07-2014, 09:21 AM
It's just shad.....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/ede7yde7.jpg

Blasphemy!

Matt

Lol my bad.... go go godzilla

LURKER916
05-07-2014, 09:26 AM
You know my rant was not directed your way. Just wanted an excuse to tell folks to really go spend some time on the water and figure some of this out yourself.
It is called fishing by the way!

Would love for this board to be a go and tell us your stories place, not more of a how do I when do I place. It seems WAY more of the how do I place lately.
And with the flows like last year this run isn't going to be easy. It's going to take some work.
You gotta put in the time.

Matt

49erbassman
05-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Warning....you can spend countless hours on the water and still not find fish. Like Matt said the low flows are making it tough.

I am one of those it's only shad guys though lol. But I'm also out there as much as I can. I fished four different spots Saturday from Below sunrise to just above Watt for not one bite. It really sucked but I'm a sucker so I'll be back.

So many fish.....such little time

LURKER916
05-07-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm heading out to waste my time searching for them in the morning.
I am going upstream. Haven't been up there for a few months and wanna see what the area looks like.
Gonna watch the sunrise around Sunrise.

Matt

fishingfrieda
05-08-2014, 08:35 AM
I am going upstream. Haven't been up there for a few months and wanna see what the area looks like.

Matt

good luck!

49erbassman
05-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Matt

Good luck brother. I'll be waiting for the text or FB post lol

Dlee
05-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Saw a guy post an ice chest of shad and said he caught them @ Freeport by the green bridge. Unfortunately he used a picture off of the internet only. That leads me to believe that right now there's not that many hot spots around. Last week a couple of people I know told me that they hit a school on a boat @ Miller Park. Hopefully that helps.

49erbassman
05-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Hot spot changes by the hour....they are blasting through fast!

PinkSalmon
05-08-2014, 01:03 PM
i've been out twice on the lower american for none. i did see a few catching them. they're there just not in great number yet.

baustin
05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Going back out to Lower AR around 5:00 today, see how it goes, didn't get to go out yesterday.

dsa2780
05-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Saw a guy post an ice chest of shad and said he caught them @ Freeport by the green bridge. Unfortunately he used a picture off of the internet only. That leads me to believe that right now there's not that many hot spots around. Last week a couple of people I know told me that they hit a school on a boat @ Miller Park. Hopefully that helps.

I drive by Freeport every day and a few days ago, the boaters were slaying them in the AM. All little males. I've seen one banker with a bag filled with a few little males. Freeport just doesn't seem to fish as well from the bank as it used to and from what I've read. Last season was pretty miserable from the banks around there. For like 15 days of fishing 5 hours each, I saw one shad landed next to me.

baustin
05-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Nothing at the lower today, was blown out from wind when I got here about 5 but died down around 6:30.

fishingfrieda
05-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Nothing at the lower today, was blown out from wind when I got here about 5 but died down around 6:30.

You are and banker are dedicated shad addicts lol

LURKER916
05-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Zero for me today. Ugh.

Matt

Kaban12
05-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Zero for me today. Ugh.

Matt

Your a die hard shad fisherman!
Those little elusive *******s will get what's coming to them from u soon. Keep fishing bro.

LURKER916
05-08-2014, 08:00 PM
You know I will!

Matt

Kaban12
05-08-2014, 08:58 PM
U probably need these bobbers. My old man made these. Still good after 3 years. Glad the old man loves fishing like me.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/09/bu2a9e8e.jpg

LURKER916
05-08-2014, 09:00 PM
BigAnt got me started on bobber fishing. I can barely fish for anything anymore without trying bobber fishing. It's getting pathetic really. I need to leave the bobbers at home sometime.

Matt

Kaban12
05-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Yeah. Lots of fun watching those go down for both shad and steelies.

Justin Martell
05-12-2014, 11:42 AM
I got 4 yesterday evening. It has been rough so far this year. I've caught 30 or so, so far but I have worked pretty damned hard for it. LOTS AND LOTS of casts for the fish I've gotten, been some skunk days too........waiting for the bite to heat up. Lots of smaller males so hopefully that is encouraging news. Hopefully the warmer weather we are going to get will help.

baustin
05-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Yea I've only managed only 1 on the AR so far in 4-5 trips, went to verona Sunday for about 1.5 hours and caught 6... almost felt dirty afterward with how easy it was, and how much a madhouse it was out there. 40-50 people lined up in the same spot.

Justin Martell
05-13-2014, 03:05 PM
3 caught last night and 3 lost. Very small bait sized. Same old thing so far on the AR.

coil
05-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Went sat and fished all day got skunked. Went back on sunday and got limits after 3.5 hrs.20553. My bro went back to la and was happy! 20553

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PinkSalmon
05-16-2014, 01:21 PM
was out there yesterday evening, hooked 5 landed 3 in about an hour. this is my third trip. skunked the first 2. this weather is making them move.

AnglingWes
05-16-2014, 01:28 PM
BigAnt got me started on bobber fishing. I can barely fish for anything anymore without trying bobber fishing. It's getting pathetic really. I need to leave the bobbers at home sometime.

Matt

No bobbers on the boat unless you plan to use a kiddie rod.

LURKER916
05-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Hahaha. Yeah I won't be bringing any bobbers.

Matt

Justin Martell
05-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I hooked into approximately 20 on Thursday afternoon/evening. I only landed 8 though. Combo of a bad patch of line, poor skills, and pissed of shad cost me quite a bit. I will be seeking my revenge this evening.

Sensi Hooks
05-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Yesterday they were hitting tiny pink grubs at the Discovery bridge out in the middle on the bottom. :git:

GirlsFishToo
06-04-2014, 11:26 PM
Yeah. Lots of fun watching those go down for both shad and steelies.

You mind telling me how to set up bobber fishing for shad?

Kaban12
06-05-2014, 08:17 AM

I run 10lb mainline so I attach the bobber to the mainline. I then use a swivel and attach 6lb flurocarbon line about 4-5 feet to the jig. Most say a 1/32 pink jig and 1" pink grub work best. I also attach a split shot 1 foot above jig. To keep the jig close to bottom. U can adjust your bobber till u find them biting.
Good luck.

49erbassman
06-05-2014, 11:55 AM
I run 10lb mainline so I attach the bobber to the mainline. I then use a swivel and attach 6lb flurocarbon line about 4-5 feet to the jig. Most say a 1/32 pink jig and 1" pink grub work best. I also attach a split shot 1 foot above jig. To keep the jig close to bottom. U can adjust your bobber till u find them biting.
Good luck.

Spot on but I use 4 or 6# main line and no leader. Switched to 1/16 jigs as well and seem to have better success this year With the larger ones.

LURKER916
06-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Bobbers with the weight on them work best for me. Help make the cast farther with such a little jig head.
If you aren't getting hits just keep adjusting that depth.

If the drift is real slow, give it a twitch now and then.

Matt

fishingfrieda
06-05-2014, 12:59 PM

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/american-shad/105400-bobber-stopper-fail.html

Lots of sniffers helped me last year on this thread. Please learn from my disaster lol

GirlsFishToo
06-05-2014, 02:36 PM
So the clip on bobbers would work the same? I've never used the other kind of bobbers before. Lol.

fishingfrieda
06-05-2014, 02:46 PM
yes, just adjust up or down till you find where the fish are.

coil
06-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Any one been to verona, freeport, discovery for shad?

Kaban12
06-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Spot on but I use 4 or 6# main line and no leader. Switched to 1/16 jigs as well and seem to have better success this year I'm the larger ones.

That works. My bobbers are made by my old man. So I don't want to lose any of them.

LURKER916
06-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Any one been to verona, freeport, discovery for shad?

There have been reports about Verona. Good ones. That's about it.

Matt

coil
06-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks. Ive been working in bay area 15 hr days 7 days a week. Dyeing to go fishing!

Bigg A
06-06-2014, 03:48 AM
There have been reports about Verona. Good ones. That's about it.

Matt

Mornings have been slow..... it almost seems like now you gotta hang around all day just to be there when a big school comes up.

I'll be a shad addict till I die..... but at this point in my life.....Ain't nothing better than enjoying some good ole' AC on a hot summer day. I have no problem reading you guys/gals reports from the couch....lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

fishingfrieda
06-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Mornings have been slow..... it almost seems like now you gotta hang around all day just to be there when a big school comes up.

I'll be a shad addict till I die..... but at this point in my life.....Ain't nothing better than enjoying some good ole' AC on a hot summer day. I have no problem reading you guys/gals reports from the couch....lol

Are you sick? You ok? [emoji12]

Bigg A
06-06-2014, 05:52 AM
Are you sick? You ok? [emoji12]

Ha ha..... I'm fine..... is it salmon season yet [emoji6]

fishingfrieda
06-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Ha ha..... I'm fine..... is it salmon season yet [emoji6]

ok good, glad you're ok haha!
Can't wait till it's time!

coil
06-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone. Went out all day sat and got 8.