PDA

View Full Version : Got my frist of the season last night, lower AR near sunrise

baustin
05-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Caught this one around 6:45 or so, two more were caught between then and about 8:00. It's slow but they're in the lower AR. Going to try another spot further up tomorrow and see if they're there yet. This spot produced very well last year, but last year I didn't start fishing it until late May.

Livin4Fishin
05-07-2014, 07:54 AM
nice! thanks for the report because I work less than a mile from river access near that area.

LURKER916
05-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Purty

Matt

Sac/Striper/Slayer
05-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Caught this one around 6:45 or so, two more were caught between then and about 8:00. It's slow but they're in the lower AR. Going to try another spot further up tomorrow and see if they're there yet. This spot produced very well last year, but last year I didn't start fishing it until late May.

That is perfect Striper bait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baustin
05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Yea got my two pole license, just no experience fishing with live bait, only cut bait. I'm a bank fisherman too, would imagine live bait would be much easier from a boat.

I spoke to a guide though and probably going on a trip in a few weeks with the girl for striper, will learn a thing or two from him I'm sure. I may try some cut bait before the trip in the next week or two though, my friend drifted down from sailor bar past rossmoor last weekend and saw a handful of good sized striper holding in a couple spots I like to fish for shad. From what I've heard they're only feeding on live stuff though, i.e. shad like the one I caught. :(

dsa2780
05-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Live bait from the shore isn't too big of hassle as long as you find a way to present it in a natural kind of way.

For shad, you can either fly line it or use a sliding sinker setup. On the American I'd go with the fly line option. In the south east of the nation, I guess its a thing to use balloons as floats to keep their gizzard shad in the middle of the water column. Not sure if that's a practical option here, but it could be worth a shot. Bait runner reel loaded up with some decently heavy mono or fluoro to a stinger hook system and you should be good to go.

Sac/Striper/Slayer
05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
I just live line em with a bait runner. Works great

baustin
05-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Good info, looks like a trip to fisherman's warehouse on my lunch is in order today :), maybe I'll give this a shot.

baustin
05-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Bought myself a baitrunner, next shad I catch is going to be sporting a nice nose piercing, hopefully enticing enough for a big striper :inviz6pf:

Sac/Striper/Slayer
05-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Can you use only one barbless hook in the barbless section or could a person do a stinger with two barbless hooks?

baustin
05-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Can you use only one barbless hook in the barbless section or could a person do a stinger with two barbless hooks?

I was wondering that as well, Since I'm new to live bait fishing figured I'd keep it simple and use a single 6/0 or 5/0 through the nose for now. I also read about bridle rig being good too because the hook on the front has a tendency to push back into the shad when the striper hits since they attack at the front of the shad, causing missed hookups.

I don't see why stinger rig would be a problem as long as both are barbless if you're in the barbless section, maybe someone else who knows better can weigh in.

AR tAG
05-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Only one rod in barbless and hook cant have a gap bigger than 1 inch. 5/0 too big!

fishguru1
05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
I was wondering that as well, Since I'm new to live bait fishing figured I'd keep it simple and use a single 6/0 or 5/0 through the nose for now. I also read about bridle rig being good too because the hook on the front has a tendency to push back into the shad when the striper hits since they attack at the front of the shad, causing missed hookups.

I don't see why stinger rig would be a problem as long as both are barbless if you're in the barbless section, maybe someone else who knows better can weigh in.

Stinger will be fine except you give yourself a pretty good chance of hooking a big fish in the throat.