PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Sturgeon Cards data

salmonid
05-08-2014, 08:29 AM
A friend of mine at DFW pointed me to the new card summary that just came out. Some members will find it interesting.

Summarized below, see https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentId=84556 for the full summary and the entire document.

Information from 2013 Cards includes the following highlights:

(1) About 45% of the anglers who fished for sturgeon were not successful and successful anglers retained on average less than half the annual bag limit of three white sturgeon.

(2) We received 2013 Cards (or data) from approximately 20% of sturgeon anglers, which is approximately double the rate from 2012 Card holders. ... Although the return rates were very different, the number of 2013 Cards with catch data (2,257) was similar to the number of 2012 Cards with catch data (2,041).

(3) Fourteen white sturgeon and one green sturgeon were reported caught from Location 12 (San Joaquin River, upstream of Highway 140 Bridge). Because occurrence of sturgeon in this reach of the San Joaquin River is rare, we will attempt to contact each of those anglers in an effort to verify the catches.

(4) Recapture data (25 identified disk-tagged fish reported) will augment mark-recapture data used by the Department’s sturgeon population study, and thus are important for the precision and/or accuracy of estimates of abundance, harvest rate, and survival rate.

(5) The length frequency distributions of white sturgeon ... appears to show that the relatively-strong 2006 cohort has begun what should be a several-year recruitment to the slot limit...

(6) The length frequency distribution of white sturgeon smaller than 40 inches suggests that annual production of white sturgeon was very low during the period 2007-2012...

salmonid
05-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Even if you don't like thinking about numbers and graphs, you can still glean some good stuff from it.

Like where to fish for sturgeon!
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid/albums/random-pix-2/20463-sturg-card2.jpg

Best,

monkey916
05-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Even if you don't like thinking about numbers and graphs, you can still glean some good stuff from it.

Like where to fish for sturgeon!
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid/albums/random-pix-2/20463-sturg-card2.jpg

Best,wait till heat reports his info from this year... that third column is going to blow up...Lol...:yikes:

salmonid
05-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Yep there are some serious die-hard sturgeon guys out there, it will be interesting to see next years tags for sure.

The anglers who are literally off the chart aren't even included in the charts!

Check out the description to Figure 1, if you're interested... "Figure 1. Frequency distribution of white sturgeon catch per angler as reported on 2013 Cards; not shown are 1 anglerís catch of 51-52 fish, 1 anglerís catch of 53-54 fish, and 1 anglerís catch of 83-84 fish"

That means three people out there caught over 50 fish last year. I wonder if they're sniffers?

I also liked seeing an angler on the Sac river between KL and Rio C&R a sturg on Dec. 7, 2013 that was originally tagged by DFW on 28-Oct-98! Must have been huge if it was already 46" in 1998.

Best,

wait till heat reports his info from this year... that third column is going to blow up...Lol...:yikes:

redneckpunk
05-08-2014, 08:09 PM
(3) Fourteen white sturgeon and one green sturgeon were reported caught from Location 12 (San Joaquin River, upstream of Highway 140 Bridge). Because occurrence of sturgeon in this reach of the San Joaquin River is rare, we will attempt to contact each of those anglers in an effort to verify the catches.

Ummm.....yeah, that seems a bit far up river. I dont recall ever hearing of any caught up that far.

~RNP

heatsource
05-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Check out the description to Figure 1, if you're interested... "Figure 1. Frequency distribution of white sturgeon catch per angler as reported on 2013 Cards; not shown are 1 anglerís catch of 51-52 fish, 1 anglerís catch of 53-54 fish, and 1 anglerís catch of 83-84 fish"

That means three people out there caught over 50 fish last year. I wonder if they're sniffers?

counting shakers i'm over 50
wonder if they wont tabulate my data next year?

salmonid
05-08-2014, 08:46 PM
heat, I think they will love to get your catch records into their data for next year. The folks that add up the numbers are probably just young people starting out, so they take the numbers as they get them and don't discriminate. I doubt they will hold the big catch numbers against you.. LOL.

The important thing is to mail in your tag or report online. Data is important to the DFW reports and ultimately the regs that we have. More data is better for the resource.

Best,

counting shakers i'm over 50
wonder if they wont tabulate my data next year?

salmonid
05-08-2014, 08:54 PM
heat, I may have read your post wrong?!

Even if your catch isn't put into the graph, it is still used as data, so it's all useful.

Best, & sorry if I misunderstood!