PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Hike = Limits

BIG FIN
05-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Went for a hike today to find some fish thought I was crazy at first but hey fish tend to go where no one else do except sniffers:fishing1: going in wasnt so bad but coming out with a limit was pure hell thought I was gonna die LOL , got there late and met up with a couple of friends who I think are part mountain goat . Stated fishing at 9:30 first cast went into a snag so off goes the slider weight on goes the slinky even lost 2 setups with the slinky !!! First fish hit the :worm: after about 10 minutes Was rewarded wih a solid 2 lber then steve yells over ok whos next then right after he says that he yells fish on and he hits one so we both look at our friend justin and say your turn and I'll be dam 5 mins later its justins turn he gets one around 2lbs also ! So Im like ok my turn sure as chit mine goes off but smaller fish , steve says ok my turn you get the idea all of us were going in order fishin by numbers everyone had 2 and were like is this one of those magical days ? Only to have justin mess it up after my third fish but hey steve had two really good chances one took him into a snag the other spit . Shortly after steve got his third a nice fatty he coudlnt even get his hand around it . It started getting windy so I put on a gold KM hopped on a rock and let it fly two turns of the reel bam fish on . Landed it and was like ok next one then nothin could not believe it thought for sure I was onto somethin gave up on the KM then wind stopped and still no bites on bait checked the pole chit snagged again cant catch um if your in a snag ended up putting on a halo PM and first cast again BAM got my fifth . Time to quit gave steve and justin the rest of the bait and when I left justin had 4 steve still at 3 , steve tells me take the high road its easier going back well yeah easier but farther to fall also and you guessed it half way back I slip hit my ass grab for rock toss the fish and poles and I'm headed down got lucky and was able to grab and hold rock . Ripped my pants cut my finger scraped the leg broke the sole on my boots but hey didnt break the rods , still thought I was going to die but hey doing what I love right .:seestars:Great day good times , time to think about a Yak !!!! Heres some pics of the fish and the arm LOL. Tightlines BF

Kaban12
05-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a great day overall. Haha. Nice catch.

fishingfrieda
05-18-2014, 08:37 PM
damn good report! The lenghts we will go to! I'm still a newbie so please tell me, what is a halo PM?
And your worried about rods, lucky you didn't break your leg!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

BIG FIN
05-18-2014, 08:56 PM
damn good report! The lenghts we will go to! I'm still a newbie so please tell me, what is a halo PM?
And your worried about rods, lucky you didn't break your leg!

Sorry Typo Hollowgraphic Panther Martin LOL , Yeah I hear ya about the leg but I know I broke my ass !!!! Tightlines BF

fishingfrieda
05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Sorry Typo Hollowgraphic Panther Martin LOL , Yeah I hear ya about the leg but I know I broke my ass !!!! Tightlines BF

ok thanks for the clarification! Are you butthurt? lol, glad you caught nice limit and made it out alive.

fishingfrieda
05-18-2014, 09:08 PM
I know lots of folks are having good luck at Amador and other lakes right now, are the trout really active because they are getting ready to head to deeper water?

saizo
05-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Nope just this time of year the heat creates a thermocline in the water column. Some call this the lakes turning over. After not that much food during the winter, we have our insect and baitfish hatches during the same times usually. They are just trying to fatten up for winter I supposed.

thompsonwdavid
05-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Nice fish! That's good that the pole didn't break that would be horrendous. Fish on!!!

mtnbay
05-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Nice fish. Sounds like you were a little further up than the lake proper. We tend to release the larger fish that we catch up there.

ehvhram
05-27-2014, 04:18 AM
Congrats , nice catch!

BIG FIN
05-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Nice fish. Sounds like you were a little further up than the lake proper. We tend to release the larger fish that we catch up there.

Yeah I can understand that but these were not natives and there was lots of them, guy in a raft came by with his kids and they were even farther up ,kids were all excited eagerly asking if we were catching and proudly exclaiming they had 13 then they even told me where they caught them had to love it but like I said before fish seem to go where there is less pressure and lower folsom has alot of pressure , saw a monster trout come up out of the fast water to sit within 6 feet of me maybe he was one you once released if he was great cant wait to catch em . Tightlines BF

Tightlines BF

Jfitalia
05-27-2014, 10:05 AM

He is able to keep whatever is in his legal rights. It doesn't sound like that spot was hurting for fish either.

mtnbay
05-27-2014, 07:16 PM
It was not my intention to sound as if the fish should have been released. Looking at the tails they are obviously planters. Those "upper areas" do have wild fish. It is those larger wild fish, in my opinion, that should be captured on camera (as fisherman lie), and released to keep the population going. I have seen people in there ignoring the legal limit. One jackhole had a trash bag heavy with fish and tried to hide it from my vision. I called him on it and he slinked off like the rat that he is. I wish you well in your further fishing adventures there. I think many of us have left our DNA and skin cells all up and down that hill in pursuit of those beautiful fish. Tight lines.