PDA

View Full Version : Awesome!!

thompsonwdavid
05-19-2014, 08:59 PM
20709So guys let's just say even in the rain with only 2 hours to spare before dark there is always time to fish. I'm up at Red Bluff fishing the Sacramento River and I don't know if it was the rain but it was fun. The water is clear, cold and exhilarating. There's not to many spots to fish from shore but if you can find one it can be rewarding. My co-workers wanted to stay in from the rain and I'm like "has that ever stopped me." Fish we're jumping everywhere around 7pm. I caught 5 bows from 12-15." Lost double the amount I caught. These trout are some of the lightest bites but hardest biters I've fought in a river. Every trout jumped at least 4 times. Had a couple that looked around the 18" mark but didn't get a chance to land them. Lures 1/4 ounce super duper(gold), rainbow pattern Panther Martin medium size and that's all folks. Get up here if you get the chance. Fly fishermen would kill it up here!!!

salmonid
05-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Great trout/steelie!

On a pink worm no less (it looks like). You must be a steelheader?

I want to bring my boat up there for some fishing sometime.

Thanks for your report and pix.

Best & keep at it,

PapaGreg
05-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Nice going! I'm sure most of us have had some "epic" days in the rain, glad you did well.

mryosemite
05-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Nice fish, I especially like the sharp tail. Does that mean it's indeed a wild fish? Or do some hatcheries produce "real" fish that don't have beat up tails?

As for the weather, I've caught my biggest browns on the crappiest days. They just love the cloud cover, the rain, the broken surface. Makes them feel cocky or something.

Owlman2
05-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Nice fish, I especially like the sharp tail. Does that mean it's indeed a wild fish? Or do some hatcheries produce "real" fish that don't have beat up tails?

As for the weather, I've caught my biggest browns on the crappiest days. They just love the cloud cover, the rain, the broken surface. Makes them feel cocky or something.

I know the upper Sac is heavily stocked, but the fish could still be wild or be a holdover.

The tail on stocked fish will eventually recover if they are not immediately caught. As far as I am concerned, a hatchery plant that has been on it's own for 6 months to a year might as well be wild. They look the same and behave the same as a wild fish. They even lose the disgusting grey meat that hatchery fish have, and start to taste decent.

Nice fish BTW OP!

thompsonwdavid
05-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Actually that trout was caught on a gold super duper. Though I do like going for steel head.

BIG FIN
05-21-2014, 05:06 PM
20709So guys let's just say even in the rain with only 2 hours to spare before dark there is always time to fish. I'm up at Red Bluff fishing the Sacramento River and I don't know if it was the rain but it was fun. The water is clear, cold and exhilarating. There's not to many spots to fish from shore but if you can find one it can be rewarding. My co-workers wanted to stay in from the rain and I'm like "has that ever stopped me." Fish we're jumping everywhere around 7pm. I caught 5 bows from 12-15." Lost double the amount I caught. These trout are some of the lightest bites but hardest biters I've fought in a river. Every trout jumped at least 4 times. Had a couple that looked around the 18" mark but didn't get a chance to land them. Lures 1/4 ounce super duper(gold), rainbow pattern Panther Martin medium size and that's all folks. Get up here if you get the chance. Fly fishermen would kill it up here!!!
Nice looking trout you keep any ? Went up there for a soccer tournament last year and sure wished I had brung a rod, hell when the ladies go shopping you know where I'll Be !!!
tightlines BF