PDA

View Full Version : Shad season so far

delta916
05-30-2014, 09:40 PM
So how's everybody's season so far? I've been on the AR the last couple of evenings. It's been pretty slow. Caught 6 last night below the barbless section and 4 tonight in the barbless section. I have been fishing shad on the AR for over 40 years and can remember when 30-40 fish evenings were the norm for this time of year. Those days are pretty rare anymore. Anyway back to my original question. How would you rate this year so far. On a 1-10 scale if give it a 3 at this point. There's still time though guess the hope for tomorrow is why I keep going.

LURKER916
05-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Each time I've been on my kayak has been decent. On the bank, hit and miss.
Haven't broken 100 yet. Still early... So far I'd say my season is a weak 4 outa ten.

49erbassman
05-31-2014, 06:36 AM
4 at the most for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaban12
05-31-2014, 07:33 AM
It's been really slow for me. I haven't spent much time targeting the shad as I did last year so. I would say a 3

Bigg A
05-31-2014, 07:32 PM
After fishing the AR for a few weeks.....I just wasn't getting my fix like I wanted so I switched back to fishing on the sac like I normally do......the "Hit" on the sac just feels way better than drifting or bobber fishing the American creek. There's been some straight dead times on the sac but being around good people always passes the time until a school arrives.... then it's smiles all around. Shad season definitely isn't how it should be but I'm just thankful there's something to fish/catch during this so called "drought".

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

dsa2780
05-31-2014, 09:58 PM
After fishing the AR for a few weeks.....I just wasn't getting my fix like I wanted so I switched back to fishing on the sac like I normally do......the "Hit" on the sac just feels way better than drifting or bobber fishing the American creek. There's been some straight dead times on the sac but being around good people always passes the time until a school arrives.... then it's smiles all around. Shad season definitely isn't how it should be but I'm just thankful there's something to fish/catch during this so called "drought".

Have you been down to the banks at Freeport this year at all, or are you sticking to the boat? Seems like each year the shad get further and further out into the middle of the river. On average, I see the die hard asian dudes who go from 6AM to 6PM walk out with maybe 5 shad after a long day by the bridge. I at least was seeing a few coolers last year.

Bigg A
06-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Have you been down to the banks at Freeport this year at all, or are you sticking to the boat? Seems like each year the shad get further and further out into the middle of the river. On average, I see the die hard asian dudes who go from 6AM to 6PM walk out with maybe 5 shad after a long day by the bridge. I at least was seeing a few coolers last year.

I haven't fished Freeport at all this year. ....I noticed a couple years ago that Freeport wasn't holding fish like it use to so I don't bother with that spot anymore. Seems like the fish kinda blow through there now. I parked the boat and been banking it for the last month or so.... still getting enough for crab bait and neighbors.

Just looked outside. .... looks nice. ... might as well grab a rod and go here my drag sing....