PDA

View Full Version : Winnemucca Lake... Any fish?

RideNfish
06-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Was looking around at lakes to hike to and came across Winnemucca off Hwy 88 by Woods Lake. Any good trout fishing there?

Thanks,

saizo
06-04-2014, 01:27 PM
When I first read your title ride I was like there's no lakes around winnemuca. My sister in law lives in that crappy town on hwy 80 east of Reno. But no I've never been there. Lol

PapaGreg
06-04-2014, 01:59 PM
RnF, haven't fished it in years, but it did have fish in the middle/late 70's. Round Top also held fish then. We used to hunt deer there back in the day when there were no signs for Woods and the road in was all dirt!

Captain Compassion
06-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Never fished there myself but I have been told and have seen reports of Bows and LCT in that lake. There a couple of other lakes up there as well.

CC

wsonphan
06-05-2014, 02:52 AM
I try to hike the loop a couple times a year and I've always had good luck there with the brook trout. Beautiful fish usually from 6"-12". I just throw kastmasters and get a fish every 4th cast or so. Hope you have a great time!

Sutter Creek
06-05-2014, 05:31 AM
I try to hike the loop a couple times a year and I've always had good luck there with the brook trout. Beautiful fish usually from 6"-12". I just throw kastmasters and get a fish every 4th cast or so. Hope you have a great time!
Lots of small Brookies. Lots of Day hikers. Not many people fishing!

Don - Nevada
06-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Winnemucca Lake is an easy 2-mile hike from the top of Kit Carson Pass.

It has brookies and Kamloop trout.

The best fishing success is from either a float tube or an inflatable raft between the small islands and the back shoreline.

The wind usually come up late in the morning and it stays windy the rest of the day.

Shore fishing is usually slow-slow-slow.

The Winnemucca Lake Trail is jam-packed late June-all of July with wildflower lovers.

Hope this helps.

tomaniacal
06-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Talked to guy a about 2 years ago up there who said he fished it the day before and said he did really well with the brookies.

Jfitalia
06-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Doug I'll text you

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Gene St. Denis
06-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Hiked into winnimucca Lake from carson after charter two days ago. Hurled gold kastmaster on Light chop for 16 Brook Trout 8 to 14 inchs . No Kamiis and released all Brooks back into the water . :thumbup: Very Nice wild flowers Poping up!! Get out into the Field Today and stretch those Legs !!!! Bring Skeeter stuff as well. That is all. On Tahoe we netted 8 Mackinaw today Lost 6 , on a Drop Dead Gorgous Day on the Lake of the Sky !!!! 81 degrees in Tahoe and the Sun is in Full force.... It is simply Awesome !!!!! :yahoo: gst