PDA

View Full Version : Lake Almanor: Memorial weekend

reelnfish
06-06-2014, 08:14 PM
I know that this report is a couple of weeks late, no excuses. I caught 11 fish in the four days that I fished. 9 salmon and 2 browns, not numbers to brag about but some good quality fish. All were caught trolling hoochies behind dodgers or slingblades. The number one fish catcher was a two inch hoochie from Cabelas in lumina. The coho at Oroville have always liked this color also.

The high lite was the 7-12 brown that I caught on Sat. near Hamilton Branch. This fish fell for a pink splatter hoochie behind a Shasta Tackle sling blade.

salmonid
06-06-2014, 08:24 PM
That's a great looking brown.

sounds like decent action as far as catching goes. Were you out solo, or with fishing partners?

Best,

Brutus20
06-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Nice looking Brown for sure! Sounds like you had good action. I'm hoping to make it up to that beautiful lake before summers end. Thanks for posting.

...........Brutus....

reelnfish
06-07-2014, 06:41 AM
I was by myself. Couldn't get anyone to get up early enough. I would rather have been holding the fish for the pic, but oh well.

n2trout
06-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Nice job there bud! Congrats and thanks for the report.
I am headed up that way soon to try my luck. Were you tipping your hootchies with anchovies or something else? Were you using any scent? Any particular color or pattern dodger / sling blade working real well? I appreciate any details you can share with me. Trying to put my brother and nephews on some quality fish. Feel free to pm me if you prefer. Thanks again and nice fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reelnfish
06-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Water melon dodger/slingblades are both good to use. I like to troll in the 1.2-1.4 range so I'll put a bend In the sling blade to improve the action at the slow speed. Once the sun is on the water I'll usually have a dodger/sling blade on that has some flash to it such as the the Seps starlite dodger. If your using a uv hoochie I'll often us a uv dodger/sling blade. I usually add an anchovy piece and a little anchovy or herring scent to the hoochie. Be sure and keep the gel scent off the skirt of the hoochie because it makes them stick together.

n2trout
06-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all that good info and advice reelinfish I should have a report up after I get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichnWendy
06-08-2014, 03:01 PM
We were up there as well the same holiday weekend, camped at rocky point campground for 4 days, my wife and i have only fished almanor a couple of times what a great place! We were happy with the fishing there since not sure where to go, Ended up catching 10 to 12 fish all nice 3# or better largest @ 3.70# mixed bag of kings,rainbow and 1 brown. Fished the north end of the east basin and the east side across from canyon dam boat ramp. all came on dodger/1/2 crawler @ 1.2/1.3 or speedy shiners @2.8/3.0 mph. Cant wait to go back! :grin:

Dustriver
06-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Nice fish. Went there the weekend before and were getting nibbles on the East Shore. The next day, we caught a couple of largemouth at Walker. :cheesy: