PDA

View Full Version : Almanor locations?

Prettyman01
06-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Ok so can anyone break down the locations on almanor for me? Where is the A-frame, the snag, rec 1, etc.... Launchin at canyon dam..

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Tonysgonefishin
06-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Well, I was hoping someone who has fished almanor this decade would have answered but I can help a little, i think. Or at least if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

i think most the places you are looking for in the east basin. Rec 1 was out on the peninsula on the west side of the east basin. I think rec 2 was further in the east basin. If I remember correctly there were a bunch of springs in between the two. The a frame, I think, is referring to house on the the southeast side of the east basin south of Hamilton branch. No idea where the snag is, sorry.

again, this is all from my memory, the last time I was up there was about 12 years ago. Hopefully if I'm wrong, someone will correct me, and give you the right locations.

either way, good luck!

Prettyman01
06-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Many thanks sir. Won't have much range with the 6hp Yamaha but it definitely helps shorten the learning curve on figuring out the areas for the various species of fish in this lake. I only have a few hours in the a.m to fish and have no idea what kind of fish to go for yet. Will prob start out with rapalas and go to dodger/crawlers later. Would love to mooch for kings but not sure where to set up shop. Will post when I get back. Thanks again!

Tonysgonefishin
06-08-2014, 07:17 AM
If you have a short range, I think you can launch from rec 1. Not sure on prices or anything but it would save on travel time if the hot bite is around there!

RichnWendy
06-08-2014, 03:52 PM
http://www.ronmartinrealty.com/assets/pdfs/lakeAlmanorMap.pdf This map helps a little but you have to zoom in at the bottom right corner of the page, how it was explained to me the a-frame is north of rec#1, sits on a point that looks like the rec#1 point.The snag is just south of Lake Cove on the east side, it's a point that jets out very shallow and on the south side is a deep hole. We bought a couple maps in chester, one at ace hardware and one across the street at sporting goods store. We caught fish on the east shore across from the canyon dam boat ramp all the way to Lake Cove area. We were there about 2 weeks ago, trolling dodgers/ night crawlers about 45 feet deep. Hope this helps good luck!

Prettyman01
06-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Helps big time! Many thanks!

TahoeBob
06-09-2014, 05:40 AM
If you are launching at Canyon Dam, Rec 1 and Rec 2 are both a long ways away with a 6 hp motor. If I were you, I would stick to the east shore just across from the boat ramp and then from there up to Lake Cove. I presume this is also a small boat so you should be very aware that Almanor can get quite rough very quickly with 2-3' waves.

Check out Doug Neal's report for the latest report before you go: Almanor Fishing Adventures Fishing Report (http://www.almanorfishingadventures.com/fishing_report.html)

Be safe and good luck!

seaurchint
06-09-2014, 07:37 AM
the dam for kings with anchovy tails ,also troll the same area. don't waste time going to far good area also are the jetties or fly fishing in the very early morning lots of fish there almanor also can be tuff at time. even if the wind comes up sometimes you can still fish the dam area ! good luck!

Prettyman01
06-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Right on guys. I don't like wasting time running around in such a small boat so it sounds like sticking to the original game plan to rip the east shoreline for browns/bows/bass till the sun comes up might not be a bad way to start. After that, it'll be all mojo and gut feeling on what to do next. I appreciate the info and its reassuring to hear the the canyon dam area is holding fish.