PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant women advised to eat more fish!

JoeReal
06-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I think that eating fish with higher levels of mercury is still healthier than hormone enhanced antibiotic fattened poultry and livestock meat. But at least, eating of low mercury meat is recommended. All the reason to eat your catch, pregnant or not.

Pregnant women advised to eat more fish (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/10/pregnant-women-fish-advice/10278885/)

Cali Duck
06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
I don't have kids and am not trying for any yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to feed them or my wife salmon/trout. Any other predatory fish like striper and sturgeon aren't worth the risks IMO.

Another problem I've experienced is some pregnant women can't even be around raw fish because the slightest hint of its scent makes them nauseous. I'm sure it's not true for all women, but just some of the few I've offered salmon to in the past. All told me as long as I prepare it for them without exposure to raw flesh, they didn't mind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy_M
06-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Someone should let Japan know it's safe to eat fish! It's not like they are the healthiest country in the world and are years ahead of the US in technology or anything...

dsa2780
06-10-2014, 03:19 PM
If I could catch enough American shad, salmon and bluegills to sustain me all year, eating fish at least half of a week, I would. Oily fish that aren't apex predators are some of the healthiest foods for a human on this planet and really help to increase brain activity and in general improve your health. Too bad I can't catch that many consistently.

salmonid
06-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Fish is good for brain development in youngsters and good for maintaining intelligence in adults (I hope, anyway). I think I'll thaw out some summer-run steel or halibut tonight.

Best,

JoeReal
06-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Of course, not everyone is happy that the FDA recommended pregnant women to eat more low mercury content fish.

Criticism over FDA’s new advice on eating fish during pregnancy - Health & wellness - The Boston Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/2014/06/15/criticism-over-fda-new-advice-eating-fish-during-pregnancy/mrAVxwiJaimaiv3mVdSoaM/story.html)