PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys eat your abalone?

joshc40
12-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I've been eating abalone for quite some time now and enjoy it the best raw. Many people think thats disgusting but I simply love it. I also enjoyed it fried and grilled. I like abalone period in any shape or form basically. Anyone wanna share some recipes with me? Thanks and God bless.

Josh

sethonious
12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I have had it many ways (ceviche to ab chili) but I think the absolute best is sliced, pounded and then fried. I don't use an egg wash or a milk wash just the natural juices that come out when it is pounded. Dredge it in ritz cracker crumbs (while you are pounding abs just put 2 tubes in a zip top bag and pulvarize). Then fry the slices in butter, lots of butter. Be sure to wipe out the pan between batches because if you have any burned bits it will destroy the flavor and make it taste bitter.

metalmouth
12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Sliced thin, pound, stuff with cheese and jalapeņo, roll and toothpick, egg wash, flour with white and yellow corn meal, don't over cook, sprinkle with cayenne and dill. *;)

MM

MB_Kevin
12-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I never thought I would like it, not being a big fan of clams or oysters. Then a deck hand on a party boat had some fried. That stuff was awesome.

Toxic_Waste
12-04-2007, 10:08 AM
I haven't had any since the days when you could go into just about any restaurant over in Monterey and order an abalone steak that covered most of the plate!

Now it's rare to find any on the menus, and when you do, it's those baby farm-raised ones that look to be about 3". (I don't dive -- too chicken!) :-[

cptdarel
12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I've done it all, and all my life I find the best ponded, floured of many choices, and fried, lemon tartar, beer!

tdekens
12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Sliced thin like bologna then I beat it to death until every inch has been pulverized. Dip it in milk and then in corn flake crumbs. You can always crush corn flakes as well. God, why doesnt my brother dive anymore? I used to clean his wetsuit and clean the abs. He is 13 years older than me so that was my part in the deal. Someone needs to invite 2shakes over for some abalone. mmm, mmm, mmm I would hate to see what it costs to buy in a store.
2Shakes

cptdarel
12-16-2007, 02:17 PM
. God, why doesnt my brother dive anymore? 2Shakes
I know the feeling, my diving days are over, there was a time my family would say NOT ABALONE again!

office_pirate79
12-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Abalone poke (po-kee or po-kay)...island style brah!

raw abalone
green onion (thin-sliced on the bias)
chopped ginger
crushed garlic
soy sauce (enough to make it um...saucy)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
Hawaiian sea salt (a.k.a.-red sea salt); just a little bit 'cause you have the salt from soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
pinch of chili flakes (crushed red pepper)

Combine & let chill overnight...enjoy. I typically don't measure & I just add "to taste."

OP

Crass
12-19-2007, 11:10 PM
that sounds effing DELICIOUS.

office_pirate79
12-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Check it out Crass...it's real easy to do! There's a ton of different ways to make it, but this way is pretty simple. Typically you'll see poke with Ahi, but it can be done with ab, salmon, etc.

OP

Crass
12-20-2007, 04:33 PM
ill prolly give it a try with Ahi.. coz i dont know where id fine abalone. everyone in this damn town has the shells all over anything but never the meat! hah!!

keelhaulinrob
12-23-2007, 09:05 PM
jeez im cooking abalone for xmas eve dinner tommorow, i normally egg it bread it fry it. But i found that instead of slinly slice it slice it about 1/4 inch and beat it so it retains a lot of the juice, and its not chewy as long as you get the sides and dont fry it to long.

That island style ab sounds super good i love it raw when im cutting it up and all my friends are watching i cut it up slinny and eat it and then offer it to them and they say no way man.

another way i like to do it is you take the scrapes not the bad scraps but the scraps to small to pound and fry, you beat them to a pulp and add them together and make like a hamburger patty then do what you do to abalone bread wat ever and make a abalone hamburger.