PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Crab

office_pirate79
12-12-2007, 04:41 PM
It being crab season & all, I was just thinking of one of my favorite ways to make whole crabs. If you are one to boil your crabs, use the same amount of canned coconut milk as you would water. Bring to a boil and drop 'em in. My uncle makes his crab this way (and fruit bat :-?) and it's slammin'. As a variation, you could also add some curry powder, split heads of garlic, and a couple dried, whole chillies. So check it out & enjoy ;)

OP

sethonious
12-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Sweet coconut milk or the non sweet kind? A little green or red curry paste would make that out of this world!

office_pirate79
12-13-2007, 10:52 AM
You can do either/or. I'd go with the sweetened if you're only going to use the milk and unsweetened if you're doing the curry paste. Heck, just experiment...that's half the fun of cooking :D.

OP

dbass
12-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Killer good [smiley=excited.gif], but killer for the heart :-/ :)

tdekens
12-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Officepirate, is your uncle from Guam? Those guys I work with cook all their stuff in cocoanut milk and hot peppers.
2Shakes

office_pirate79
12-13-2007, 02:44 PM
dbass-Isn't that always the case with the good stuff??? I love food to much to think about it ;D.

2Shakes-You nailed it! And you have no idea how happy I am that you did. I thought the fruit bat might have gave it away before coconut milk. I'm half Chamorro and come from a HUGE family of people that love to cook & eat! Coconut, rice, & taro are ever-present. Maybe I'll put my kelaguen recipe up on here too. Have the guys given you any? If not, just ask them and I'm sure they'll hook you up. It's life changing ;D

tdekens
12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey man, They hit me up all the time for deer to make it from. I hook them up with fish and they always bring me stuff. Kelaguen.. I have eaten that for a long time since I was in the Navy. Alot of my friends were Filipino so I learned from them. Then I get here and alot of the guys are Chamorros. I even take them fishing and stuff. There is also a Chamorro guide by the name of John do you know him? I got to see him at a party I was at where he was rockin out on the guitar. I came back to work to see if my coworker knew him and I found out then he was a guide for his day job. How many stickers do you have on the back of your car/truck window? ;D ;D ;D I am always harassing the guys I work with about it. There is a permanent jar of Pokie (sp?) next to our microwave at work. Does that tell you something?
2Shakes

office_pirate79
12-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Aw man...that's rich! I have 2 stickers on the truck ;D ;D ;D. Yup...we come from a little rock in the Pacific and we're a proud people. Every time we identify another Chamorro, it's like seeing family. However, since we're generally known to F around and harass everyone else, harassment is always welcome ;). Shoot, when my Dad first took my Mom back to Guam to meet the family, they made fun of her so much that she was crying ;D. It's just showing love.

I don't know John, but Chaka (as in "Chaka's MMM Sauce" available at your local grocery store ;)) is my Uncle. Well, you pretty much described all of my Uncles...fishing, playing the guitar, and eating! Sometimes doing it all at the same time! My family's never made poke (SP was close...just lose the "i"), but my fiance's family is from Hawaii so that was my first experience with it. Now it's high on my list of favorites.

That's right on 2Shakes. With as much kelaguen as you've eaten, you're an honorary Chamorro!!!

OP

tdekens
12-13-2007, 04:03 PM
We also cook alot of whole pigs at work. One of the guys is a welder so now they all have their own whole pig cooker barbacues now. Its a funny name for a pig farm where they get them. Its called Pigs R Us ;D The Chamorro people are very proud indeed. I have always been invited to the local annual festival as well. I even got them their guest speaker twice. They wanted to honor WWII veterans so I hooked them up with one who was stationed on Guam back in the day. Since I have made so many Chamorro friends I am gonna go back their some day. As a matter of fact i moved into the job I have now because the guy got a job back in Guam since they are building up again there.
I will leave you alone. If you ever want to fish up this way let me know and we can hook up. I will bring the SPAM ;D ;D ;D
2Shakes

MB_Kevin
12-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I had a co-worker that told me to cook them in coconut milk. He said it was the best. I never tried it. He said he was going to bring me some >:(
Its OK he used to bring me lunch all the time. 8-)

dbass
12-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Crab and fish with CCnut milk is a gourmet's delight. Its a south pacific favorite :D And don't forget some pigeon peppers or thai chili's [smiley=mind-blowing.gif] Its a sure way to clear up your sinus's ;D

office_pirate79
12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
dbass-Amen brother!!!

MB-Well, sounds like it's time for another one of your experiments! If you're not going crabbing any time soon, head down to your local Asian market, get a couple crabs (they're about $2.99/lb) & a boat load of coconut milk, and get to work ;D

2Shakes-I'll bring the rice & eggs ;D ;D ;D. Speaking of the magical wonder meat, SPAM kelaguen is ridiculously good. Sounds like you made the right friends, dude. If you don't want to go hungry and you like laughing, they're good to have around ;) Thanks a million for the offer. If I am ever out that way, I'll definitely take you up on it. It'll be like fishing with family!

OP

MB_Kevin
12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
MB-Well, sounds like it's time for another one of your experiments! *If you're not going crabbing any time soon, head down to your local Asian market, get a couple crabs (they're about $2.99/lb) & a boat load of coconut milk, and get to work *;D

I should probably go catch my own because I live about 5 min from the pacifica pier ;D Then again I will be at the Asian market getting the coconut milk anyways ::)