PDA

View Full Version : A lobster question

rockbass
10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
my neighbor went camping and hoop netting last weekend. Sunday he caught a legal lobster, he cut the tail off and kept the tail in his ice chest until Monday afternoon. When he returned home he boiled the lobster tail and put in the freezer. I suggested he not eat it since the lobster was not alive when he cooked it. His response was he has seen frozen lobster tails at the fish counter all the time. He is a friend and I don't want a dead friend over a lobster tail. Does anyone know if this crustacean is safe to eat. I asked him why didn't you cook it at the campsite and he said he didn't have a large pot to use.

office_pirate79
10-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Well Rockbass, I'm quite sure it won't kill him. Even if the lobster was a little spoiled by the time he got it home, I think the worst thing that could happen is a thousand trips to the bathroom for a day or two. Also, if & when he decides to eat it, I'd bet that it will make a pretty sh*tty meal. The right thing to do would've been to just freeze the tail & cook it later. I mean, other than soups, I wouldn't cook something and THEN freeze it. Think about it...who wants to eat a pre-cooked, defrosted lobster tail??? Whatever flavor/texture qualities it once had will be completely lost. That's just my $.02. I think your buddy will be alright when he eats it...just be sure he has plenty of Pepto Bismol on hand ;D

OP

metalmouth
10-30-2007, 03:33 PM
He should be fine as long as the lobster was kept on ice. I live in Idaho and I'm not real partial to lobster that's been swimming in someone's tank for several months. I eat frozen lobster all the time. It's been frozen without cooking it. *;) I second the idea of freezing it before cooking it! 8-)

Kell_I
10-30-2007, 08:08 PM
I third that
should have froze before cooking.But he should be ok ::) ;) ;)

MB_Kevin
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Heck if I had taken the time to cook it I think I would have just eaten it. I wonder why he decided to take the time to cook it before freezing. :-?

Farrier_Frank
10-31-2007, 05:51 AM
Heck if I had taken the time to cook it I think I would have just eaten it.

I'm with you on that one, MB. It's always better fresh, anyway.

sethonious
10-31-2007, 07:57 AM
No pot!? Time for SASHIMI!!!

rockbass
10-31-2007, 12:47 PM
The reason he didn't eat the lobster was he knew he better have at least two lobsters one for him and one for his wife since the wife OK'ed his camping trip with out her going along. IMO this was a safe move knowing his wife. He froze the lobster tail to save for Thanksgiving dinner.

office_pirate79
10-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Hmm... :-? That's all I have to say about that. Whatever the case, you might want to put a bug in his ear that on the next one, don't cook it before he freezes it. He & his wife will thank you later and you'll be a hero ;)

OP

ratss427
11-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Heck if I had taken the time to cook it I think I would have just eaten it.

I'm with you on that one, MB. It's always better fresh, anyway.

throw a steak on the cue.toss the tail next to it.baste that sucker.and enjoy!. :P