PDA

View Full Version : Easiest (weirdest) biscuit recipe

sethonious
10-31-2007, 08:11 AM
First give credit where credit is due. I got this from the most recent issue of Cook's Illustrated Magazine, so don't give me the credit and don't reprint it anywhere.

When I read this recipe I thought it was strange but it totally worked out for a quick drop biscuit recipe. Now that the weather is getting cold I like to have biscuits with soups and chilis but I HATE cutting butter into flour, it takes to long and it is too sensitive. This recipe came together in <10 minutes and most of that was waiting for the butter to cool.

Preheat oven to 475

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar

Whisk all these together in a big bowl. (saves the sifting step AWESOME)

Melt 1 stick unsalted butter let cool for five minutes

Pour cooled butter mixture into one cup of EXTREMELY COLD butter milk and whisk vigirously until the butter cools and breaks up into chips. I know this sounds wierd but trust me this is what gives the biscuits a tender texture and cuts out the butter cutting step.

Pour the butter/buttermild mixture over the flour mixture and stir just until combined, and the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. DO NOT OVERMIX!

Grease a 1/4 cup measuring cup and dish out the biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet. The recipe said it should make 12 but it only made 11. Regrease the measuring cup as needed.

Bake at 475 for 12-14 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on a cooling rack out of the baking sheet.

These are easy and awesome. Maybe MB can WRAP THEM IN BACON!!! and then drown them in sausage gravy but they were pretty good with honey. They were good with soup.

The recipe also recomended adding 1 tbsp of cracked black pepper and some cheddar cheese but I wanted a sweeter biscuit.

northriver_tom
10-31-2007, 11:09 AM
sounds good-good good good

MB_Kevin
10-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Maybe MB can WRAP THEM IN BACON!!! and then drown them in sausage gravy but they were pretty good with honey.

Do you think that would work ;D

Sounds like a cool and good recipe!!!

SuperDave
11-01-2007, 06:20 AM
seth, you've got that title wrong. Easiest, crack tube on edge of counter.... ;D

Toxic_Waste
11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
This recipe sounds good. And I love biscuits with sausage gravy. I am usually very disappointed in what passes for "sausage gravy" in most restaurants. They use some canned, powdered mix with little bits of artificial "sausage." Tastes just like you mixed plain old flour and water and threw in a dustpan of floor sweepings. (Not that I have really TRIED floor sweepings!)

Give me the good, old-fashioned way, with the grease and browned bits of REAL sausage used to make the gravy. There's no decent substitute for it and I don't care if it isn't number one on the "good-for-you" list. Sometimes you just gotta get down to business if you want good food. Save the organic, 10%-of-profits-goes-to-the-Save-the-Earth-Foundation carrot sticks for some other time! :D

office_pirate79
11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
That's sounds like a keeper recipe, Sethonius...I'll definitely write that one down, so thanks ;)

And amen, Toxic_Waste!!! I'll tell you where I had the best sausage gravy EVER (I'm a food snob even when it comes to the down home/greasy stuff, so I wouldn't steer you wrong): the little diner in Fernbridge, CA just below Eureka (Ferndale/Fernbridge exit on 101 N...next to the Renner station & across from the Humboldt Creamery). What blew my mind even more than the chicken fried steak & the sausage gravy was the fact that it was made by this little hippy vegetarian chick! If you're ever up that way, stop in & get some!

OP

SuperDave
11-03-2007, 09:45 AM
My sausage gravy recipe:

1 pkg Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp Butter
1/4 cup flour
Black pepper to taste

Brown sausage in skillet and remove from pan but save drippings in the pan. Mix flour with melted butter and make a paste. Slowly add milk until paste has disolved in the milk. In the skillet, add milk mixture and black pepper, simmer until it starts to bubble and thicken. Add sausage back to skillet and serve over your hot biscuits.