PDA

View Full Version : Eating Tilapia worse than eating bacon?

JoeReal
06-16-2014, 08:37 AM
While many of us love to catch ourselves the fish that we like to eat, there are times when you can only get them from the stores. I think it depends on the fish feed used and where the fish are farmed to make them nutritionally worse than bacon. I still need to check out other scientific publications about this one.

The truth about tilapia | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/09/truth-about-tilapia/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_166562)

dsa2780
06-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Any fish that has speculation on news reports on it is a fish that I will never be eating or supporting. I have made it a goal in my life to never once eat Tilapia. I don't care if it's clean tasting and a good source of protein. They are abominations at this point that are being fed their own crap and recycled material. Almost as bad as the Norwegian and Canadian Salmon farms and the American AquaAdvantage company salmon.

I'll stick to eating fish I kill myself, and if I can't do that, then it looks like i'm not eating fish.

JoeReal
06-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Any fish that has speculation on news reports on it is a fish that I will never be eating or supporting. I have made it a goal in my life to never once eat Tilapia. I don't care if it's clean tasting and a good source of protein. They are abominations at this point that are being fed their own crap and recycled material. Almost as bad as the Norwegian and Canadian Salmon farms and the American AquaAdvantage company salmon.

I'll stick to eating fish I kill myself, and if I can't do that, then it looks like i'm not eating fish.

One of my relatives in the Philippines have brackishwater fish ponds and they grew tilapia and milk fish, fed with rice bran (high protein) and sweet potatoes. Fried Cuban style, both the tilapia and milkfish were very tasty, simply the best. They practice aquaponics now alongside with growing edible seaweed.

In some fish farms of the world, they feed the tilapia with pig's fecal matter that their workers won't even eat the fish that they raise.

JoeReal
06-16-2014, 02:13 PM
We have to keep in mind that bacon is considered by many people to be the best tasting food, so any other food would be worse than bacon. But what caught my attention is that they were talking about nutritional value, so this report has to be verified, not just accept as is.