PDA

View Full Version : Why it is a good idea to eat kimchi, pickled veggies and probiotics when eating fish.

JoeReal
06-18-2014, 07:55 AM
I expect that most of the members here eat their catch. We have also discussed the effects of heavy metals such as mercury that have bio-accumulated in top predatory fishes such as LMB, striper, flathead catfish, salmon, etc.

Well, there are ways to mitigate the ill effects of heavy metal contaminated fish. One of them has been practiced by the Japanese for ages, giving them longer life, by consuming products rich in Lactobacillus bacteria. Pickled or lacto-fermented vegetables for example are rich in lactobacillus culture. It is not a coincidence why they are eaten together with fish. The lactobacillus along with other bacteria live in the guts and they convert mercury into less toxic forms in a very intricate fashion. Yogurt, some milk such as yakult have special strains of lactobacillus and they too can help build your gut microbiota that can help bioremediate heavy metals within your body. Probiotics that are tailored to fight off heavy metals in the fish should be taken by those who have regular fish diet.

Some plants like the Ashi taba (Angelica keiskei), when taken together with polluted fish can help prevent development of cancers from heavy metals and it helps detoxify your bodies from such contaminants.

So here's the interesting paper that I come across and discusses indirectly the role of gut bacteria in bioremediating or attenuating the effects of heavy metals that we consume with our food.

Bioremediation and Tolerance of Humans to Heavy Metals through Microbial Processes: a Potential Role for Probiotics? (http://aem.asm.org/content/78/18/6397.full)

sollimes
06-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks Joe! Really good info..

Fishmeister
06-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Not to mention some darned tasty stuff. Gotta love Kimchi. Fermented dill pickles work too.

alucardbear
06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
How about fermented fish?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk