PDA

View Full Version : chemically sharpened hooks.

stefanoflo
06-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Some one please inform me on chemically sharpened hooks.
how is this done and when they get dull ,why are we using a file to sharpen them ??
if they are chemically sharpened hooks.. also would it not be better to have an average sharpened hook so it would avoided snags?? I`m thinking ,sharper the hook , the more snags you get?? if it can penetrate the fish then its sharp enough. if you set the hook correctly .
Its all about penetration !!!!!!!!

Jfitalia
06-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Have you tried to Google the answer or simply go onto the manufacturers website?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ApexPredator
06-19-2014, 10:33 AM
how is this done and when they get dull ,why are we using a file to sharpen them ??
if they are chemically sharpened hooks.. also would it not be better to have an average sharpened hook so it would avoided snags?? I`m thinking ,sharper the hook , the more snags you get?? if it can penetrate the fish then its sharp enough. if you set the hook correctly .

"chemicals" are used to to eat away at the metal on the tip of the hook in a way to give it a finer point. The reason you use a file/hone to sharpen a hook you have is simply to give the dull hook an edge again, just like you would a knife. You can only chemically sharpen a hook so much before the edge looses its strength and since most people do not know the process or have the tools at home, the file/hone is a simple fix. I have no comment on hook sharpness and snags, and some species need sharper hooks than others but like most things in fishing do what is comfortable or you have confidence in.

Have you tried to Google the answer or simply go onto the manufacturers website?

^favorite post of the week.

stefanoflo
06-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Yes Sir . I question what is the chemical being used?? and is its harmfull??
Thats all.

Im sure 20+ years ago this did not exist

Thats all

Jfitalia
06-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Yes Sir . I question what is the chemical being used?? and is its harmfull??
Thats all.

Im sure 20+ years ago this did not exist

Thats all
so by doing your research did you not find the name of the chemical? hooks have been chemically Sharpened for many many years. It's not new

JoeReal
06-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Chemically sharpening hooks is usually done for tiny hooks. Chemically sharpening hooks make them a little weaker. If the chemically sharpened hooks become blunt, it is best to use a new one rather than to sharpen a blunt one. Big hooks on the other hand are not sharpened chemically but best sharpened physically with sharpening tools.

Chemically Sharpened Hooks - The Process & How They Work (http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingstories/chemicallysharpenedhooks.htm)

saizo
06-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Gamakatsu hooks are chemically sharpened. They work great out if the pack. But I've found most hooks chemically sharpened suck in the salt water. Cuse after one day of fishing even if you wash them down with fresh water, the very tip of the hook will break or rust off. And they don't like to sharpen with a stone or file. You can get them sharp just not as sharp as out of the pack.

stefanoflo
06-19-2014, 11:39 PM
so by doing your research did you not find the name of the chemical? hooks have been chemically Sharpened for many many years. It's not new

what are you doing
giving me Homework
here take my F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I`ll take the coarse again later!

Jetspray
06-20-2014, 02:44 AM
what are you doing
giving me Homework
here take my F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I`ll take the coarse again later!
I am with you on this one. It is either a strong base or acid that eats/etches metals. If the metal makeup allows for more corrosion guess what it will do in base waters that are alkaline in nature? Coatings reduce the effects of bases, but once the coating is removed by use or sharpening oxidation/corrosion is created. We all need to get along:moon:.:winkfs::2vrolijk_08::smiley_crazy::fi shing5xd:........Jetspray

oregondragonfly
06-20-2014, 04:52 AM
it is an acid base mix. I am a tig welder and use it to chemically sharpen my electrodes between grinding. it cleans and puts a sharp point back on for fine welding work. dfly

Troutbead
06-20-2014, 07:16 AM

You stick to your average hooks. That will leave more fish for me to catch. LOL.

Porem
06-20-2014, 08:08 AM
I am pretty sure you want the sharpest hook possible. The sharper the hook the hook the more likely you will hook the fish. A fish that is making a soft bite may be able to spit the bait on a dull hook but will get caught on a super sharp hook. Plus the sharper and deeper the hook sets the less likely the fish will be able to shake the hook. Finally if you are fishing with light test you will not be able to lay I to them with a hook set like with heavy braid so the sharpest hook will set better with a light hook set. As for snags well I would rather deal with the hassle them lose the fish of a lifetime to a dull hook.

stefanoflo
06-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Well One things for sure , a Feather lite rod tip helps with those sensitive bites, as well as the sharp hook . Learn that today while hooking a few that where on the side of the jaw . It does help more ways that one
I`l stick with my Daiichi Hooks They do the job perfect for trout in Stream conditions.
and they are sharp as hell
ask my fingers!Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!