PDA

View Full Version : beer batter????

basstracker85
06-08-2007, 11:21 AM
anyone have a good beer batter recipie i haven't beer battered in years

campboss
06-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Beer and flour and your favorite seasons , salt, pepper, lots of garlic.
Mix beer and flour so its not to runy but not to thick and add the seasons you like to taste.
Dip and fry in, I recomend virgin olive oil but anything works. It's not rocket science. I do recomend drinking *the rest of the 6 pack while cooking the fish it makes it taste that much better.
Just experiment , I never make it same way, it's always different.

GOOD LUCK ;D :o

sethonious
06-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I have tried a bunch of batter recipes, but nothing and I mean nothing works as good as the blue boxed stuff by the fish counter. I hope the moderators aren't too upset about a product endorsement, but this stuff works great. It is made by McCormick and it is called "Golden Dipt" They usually sell it by the fish counter next to the cocktail and tarter sauce (about shin height). They have 3 types of batter cajun, beer batter, and fish and chips style. I think the fish and chips is the best, but try them all. I also really like to go in there grab 4 boxes and when the fishmonger asks if I need help I just look at the price of white fish and grin and say "got my own, and we are having a party."

Here is a link to a picture of the box:
http://www.beoceanwise.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6079

If you use it it will make you wanna slap yo momma!

Double_D
06-14-2007, 06:32 AM
make sure you let the beer go to room temperature and flat, get all the carbonation out out with a whisk......salt and pepper is all you need and what ever else you like.

office_pirate79
06-21-2007, 12:20 PM
On another note, I'd tend to stay away from the olive oil for frying...only because of the lower smoke point (burns/smokes at a low temp). Some would argue that olive oil works just fine, but it's a general rule of thumb and one that most restaurants adhere to.

If you're deep frying, use peanut or vegetable oil...peanut preferably. I wish olive oil could be used because the flavor is best IMHO. As Campboss said, keep that 6 pack handy :D

Mr_Ed
06-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Don't forget to add horshradish, brown sugar, vinegar, even
chines five star to your batters for a "new taste".......... ;)

fisherchick
06-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Just a note on Double D's comment about getting the carbonation out before mixing it with flour, it's no big deal if you don't, from my experiences. *After seeing a Tyler Florence (you know, of Food Network) do a Ultimate Fish N' Chips show, in which he used Club Soda as the liquid in a batter, I tried the beer batter with a freshly opened Corona and it worked great. *I am even thinking the batter had a little extra "puff", maybe due to the carbonation? I've switched to using self-rising flour and beer for my beer batter (just add beer to flour until you get a pancake batter-like consistency). *Make sure and start with dry fish (or whatever you are frying) or roll lightly (dredge) in flour before dipping in batter. This helps your batter adhere better. *

Just experiment until you perfect it to suit your tastes....Enjoy! *;)

shon42073
06-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I use the box stuff menthioned above with a dark beer, Guiness works well. I never ever deep fry in olive oil it burns to easy and tastes to strong. The same brand also has an awesome tempura batter, Always make sure your water is ice cold if you use tempura.

chiselchest
10-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Some of the best fish I've ever had was fresh beer batter fried cod. I use peanut oil heated to 375-425*F (nut oils smoke at the highest temps of the oils).

I just use beer, flour, salt & pepper (make it a little thinner than you'd make pancake batter).

I've tried adding some different dried seasonings (onion & garlic, etc.) but most of them will causing burning.

Just cook until the color is a nice golden brown.

MB_Kevin
10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
make sure you let the beer go to room temperature and flat, get all the carbonation out out with a whisk......salt and pepper is all you need and what ever else you like.

Don't trust him I have heard he don't eat fish ;D ;D

I'm Just kidding DD 8-)

FreshwaterFrank
10-04-2007, 05:26 AM
Beer batter is good, JD batter is even better. The key with beer batter is to use cheap beer, and the cheaper the better. Has anyone ever cooked birds with a can of suds up their tailpipe on the grill? Try it sometime, you won't be disappointed. Just pop open the can & shove it into the cavity....stand the bird up & BBQ on low heat until Earnie's Nose will pull off easily, or the wing-tips pull off with no effort. Beer chicken....you can't beat it.