PDA

View Full Version : Carp Recipe

oroville
03-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Hollow out a log with an ax, put the carp inside the log. Toss the whole mess into a fire. throw away the carp and eat the log.

rymerpt
03-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Buttermilk Fried Carp Fillets

2 pounds carp fillets
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup biscuit mix or pancake mix
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried lemon flakes

Remove the skin of the carp. Take out all the brownish-redish-colored part of the meat, the "mud vein"; discard. Chunk up the rest of the carp fillets. Place fillet pieces in a shallow dish. Pour the buttermilk over them and let it stand for half an hour, turning the fillets over once during that time. Stir the salt into the biscuit mix. Take fillets out of the buttermilk and pat them into the biscuit mix, covering both sides. Fry fillets in deep fryer or in hot oil in fry-pan for 5 - 10 minutes until cooked through and browned on both sides. Use tongs or slotted spoon to turn them. (If oil is too hot, they will brown too quickly and not cook within.) Drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges if available. Serves 4-6

I've had um and they taste good to me. I'd rather have striper, but carp works too.

rymerpt

metalmouth
03-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I think I'll stick with Kokanee! ;) :o 8-)

krazybob
06-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Buttermilk Fried Carp Fillets

2 pounds carp fillets
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup biscuit mix or pancake mix
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried lemon flakes

Remove the skin of the carp. Take out all the brownish-redish-colored part of the meat, the "mud vein"; discard. Chunk up the rest of the carp fillets. Place fillet pieces in a shallow dish. Pour the buttermilk over them and let it stand for half an hour, turning the fillets over once during that time. Stir the salt into the biscuit mix. Take fillets out of the buttermilk and pat them into the biscuit mix, covering both sides. Fry fillets in deep fryer or in hot oil in fry-pan for 5 - 10 minutes until cooked through and browned on both sides. Use tongs or slotted spoon to turn them. (If oil is too hot, they will brown too quickly and not cook within.) Drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges if available. Serves 4-6

I've had um and they taste good to me. I'd rather have striper, but carp works too.

rymerpt

We camped last week at a local lake called Bruneau Dunes state park out of Mtn Home, Idaho where we live. We were told that it held big bass and bluegill. My wife hooked onto a big fish which I figured for a large bass which she fought for quite some time. When it got close to shore, I waded in with the net and realized at the last minute it was a huge carp ;D I netted it, and after it was on the bank, I decided to keep it, to try filleting then deep frying. It's still in the freezer and waiting for a special time to cook it when we have friends over. Of course I won't tell them what the heck it is until it has been eaten ::)
Krazybob

shon42073
06-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Carp are too boney man :-X

cynnate
07-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Nasty!!! [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Trout_Terminator
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT MEAN TO SOUND RACIST OR OFFEND ANY ONE, THIS IS WHAT RACE THE MAN WAS, SO THAT IS WHAT I AM GOING TO CALL HIM.

I was talking to a Korean dude, and he told me that he steams his fish, and uses soi sauce on his fish, then puts it over rice (thats what i got out of it, he spoke a mix or Korean and English, so i kinda had to fill in the blanks). The reason why he steams them is because it softens the bones, and makes it so that you can eat them, and the sio sauce is to give it that good flavor. So, if someone could tune in here and fill in the blanks (basically knows a recipe for steaming them), he said that its really good, so i don't knock it till i try it, so if someone has a recipe for steamed carp, lemme know. Until them, i think that i am going to continue to keep releasing them.

-TT

MB_Kevin
07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
My dad said he used to eat them when he was a kid on a farm in Nebraska. He said if I kept one he would cook it up. I still have not kept one.
He also said there was a time when you could get more for carp per pound then (I think it was) beef but it was one of the better meats. It was like $0.05 a pound for that meat and $0.10 a pound for carp.

panfish_popper
07-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Nobody should be saying its nasty unless they actually tried it.

ratss427
07-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Hollow out a log with an ax, put the carp inside the log. Toss the whole mess into a fire. throw away the carp and eat the log.
i agree with oroville.....but if carp isnt available,squawfish can be used ;D

CJC
07-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Trout_Terminator

I don't know how Koreans steam fish, but I can tell you how the Chinese do it. One thing I have to say is that steaming the fish does not soften the bones. If you are going to choke on a fried bone, you will most definitely choke on a steamed one. So eat it very carefully! ;D ;D ;D

So here is the recipe good for soft textured fish like carp, flounder, small stripers, etc.:

2 lbs of fish whole, clean the scales.
2 scallions (green onions) shredded.
A handful of chopped cilantro.
6 pickled shallots (they come in jars in the Asian markets)
2 tbl spoons of ginger (shredded)
4 tbl spoons of soy sauce
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1/4 cup of vegetable oil

If the fish is too thick, it might help to score it. It will cook a lot faster but assuming you have a fish that is about 3" thick then it needs to be steamed for 20-25 minutes to cook through in medium heat. Cooking through means just enough so that the meat will flake off from the bones. If you overcook the fish, it will harden up and loose its juices.

Preparation:

Place the fish in a deep platter and sprinkle the ginger, sugar and salt on top. Add the soy sauce and both oils evenly. Add the shallot and steam until done. Add the greens and it's ready for the table.

To tell you the truth I donít like it because of the bones. But the meat is mighty tasty. ;)

FreshwaterFrank
07-19-2007, 05:20 AM
I've eaten carp & burbot cooked this way, and it's pretty good.

Skin the carp and freeze it. After frozen solid, take out & place in a large basin or tray & cover with milk. Allow to thaw out in the milk. This takes all the oily & fishy taste & smell out of the meat. Works for any fish. Once thawed, bake whole until cooked through. Take out of oven & allow to cool to room temp. Pick meat off bones & into a bowl in small chunks. Add egg, a little milk, chopped onion & peppers, salt & pepper & and any other herbs or spices you like. Mix well & refrigerate a couple hours. Form into balls & then roll in bread crumbs. Deep fry.

If you just tell people they're fish balls, and they don't ask what kind...they will never guess carp. Tastes like Gorton's fish sticks or something.

sikkwidditt
08-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Is carp really worth it to eat....I heard they taste nasty! I just probably catch and release them........

drstressor
08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I used to eat carp when I was a kid growing up in New Jersey. Most of the waters where I caught them were heavily polluted. They now have warnings posted against eating any fish, even though they are probably a lot cleaner than they were back in the '50's. I can tell you that the eating qualities of carp have everything to do with the water they come from and the time of year they are taken. The ones caught in unpolluted farm ponds in the springtime were not bad at all.

As describe above, steaming or boiling lets the meat flake right off the bones.

Toxic_Waste
08-24-2007, 02:32 PM
I've tried carp, but didn't think it was worth it. I am lazy, so I prefer to catch and cook something I don't have to do anything to try and make it palatable (beyond the usual gutting and filleting, I mean). 8-)

Yaker
08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Worldwide, there are more carp farmed for food then all the other species combined. The US is the only place carp are considered a "trash fish."

Toxic_Waste
08-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm sure that's true...probably because we have so much good food here we're spoiled. I once worked for a guy whose cousin had a restaurant in Italy, and raised yearling horses strictly for restaurant meat. Not too long ago I saw people squatting alongside a highway cooking a ground squirrel on a stick. I know some local people who love to eat grubs and fat worms that look like tomato hornworms. Other people I've known relished dog meat, and one family I knew served cow head, with the guests of honor receiving the eyes. Yet another family served barbecued goat-guts-on-a-stick and I actually ate one!.....just depends on your roots and culture I guess.

Kinda makes carp start to sound good, huh!

cynnate
08-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Still Nasty. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

gomezfish
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
might as well hit the pet stores and get some koi for sundays BBQ

sethonious
09-10-2007, 08:05 AM
I was watching Alton Brown in Feasting On Asphalt and they stopped at this little smoke house in the middle of nowhere. They had smoked catfish, spoonbill (Midwest version of sturgeon), and carp. Alton said that the Carp was the best and it looked good to me. Also I have a co-worker who grew up in Wisconson who grew up catching and eating Carp. She loved it and had no idea that it was a "trashfish" until she moved out here. While I have never eaten carp I don't think we should knock it too much. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Toxic_Waste
09-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Maybe it just depends on what carp eat and water temp., etc., but I have caught and eaten several, and found them way too boney and the taste was muddy, if that makes any sense. If other people like them, that's fine. The fewer that are thrown back, the better!

Goldencarp
09-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Cook'n carp!!!!! :'(

EastBayAngler
09-19-2007, 04:07 PM
When I was a child my grandfather had a catfish / carp pond and we ate all kinds of them. Smoked mostly. All good , but my pops would feed them a solid diet of cornmeal to flush their systems. They tasted much different than the channel cats we caught in Stockton!

I dont think I'd eat a delta carp at this point. :P Besides...I fish enough to only keep a few of the kinds of fish I like to eat! And throw the rest back! Sturgeon/Leopard shark ect...I have never targeted carp before but fowl hooked one, one time ;D ;D Hellova fight sideways ;D ;D ;D

Matt- 8-)

Steve_M
09-19-2007, 06:05 PM
The very best way to cook carp is to shoot them with bow & arrow.

Then let them bake in the sun. 8-)

gomezfish
09-21-2007, 05:24 PM
ide rather deep fry a bulhead

FreshwaterFrank
09-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Hunger is the best sauce. I've eaten a lot of weird critters, & carp was sure not the worst tasting. Try a Burbot sometime! Squawfish are widely reviled, but they were once known as white salmon, & they smoke up pretty darn good. Catfish live on the bottom & eat !@#$%^&, but quite a few folks really like them. Taste is relative, to me I'll try most anything that comes out of clear cold water. Bass taste like !!%^& when the water is warm, but they're excellent when caught in winter. Same with carp & probably most other "trash" fish. Northerns are another one that is not reknown as a culinery delight, but just thaw them out in milk & you'll think you are eating walleye.