PDA

View Full Version : Re:  Spiny Dogfish and salmon skeletons

FreshwaterFrank
07-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Along the lines of your salmon salvaging, I've taken to saving all the skin,bones, heads, & leftover fragments etc. & canning it up for my dog & cat. With the scare over contaminated pet foods, this really works out well. The animals absolutely love it, and it doesn't take much extra time when I'm already canning the meat for myself. The canning process renders the bones,fins etc. soft & easily digestible for the pets. Now I have no excuse to waste any part of the fish, and my animals are definitely happy.

sethonious
07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I use the spoon scrapings for salmon burgers.

scfisher831
07-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Salmon skeltons never through away.Theres alot of meat on them.I always save the skeltons of the salmon after I fillet them out.I rub the skelton meat of the salmon with olive oil,garlic salt,parsley,squeez of lemon and onto the BBQ it goes.It so good.It falls rite off the bones.I used to keep the carcass for crab bait,but I cookem up now.Spiny dogfish I don't know about that though.They sure can be a pain in the butt on the salmon grounds *;D.

Know_Excuses
07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Along the lines of your salmon salvaging, I've taken to saving all the skin,bones, heads, & leftover fragments etc. & canning it up for my dog & cat. With the scare over contaminated pet foods, this really works out well. The animals absolutely love it, and it doesn't take much extra time when I'm already canning the meat for myself. *The canning process renders the bones,fins etc. soft & easily digestible for the pets. Now I have no excuse to waste any part of the fish, and my animals are definitely happy.

I thought I saw a post by doc stressor that said salmon can be deadky to dogs.Ill try to find it.

MB_Kevin
07-28-2007, 09:23 PM
I filleted a striper the other day and noticed there was alot of meat left after and thought about throwing it on the BBQ. I just gave it to my neighbor. He likes to use the head and everything to make some kind of soup. Maybe next time he will just get the head ::)

Toxic_Waste
07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
I recently cooked a couple of spiny dogfish. The fillets I marinated and grilled, nobody liked very much. But the battered and fried ones went over just OK. In all, nobody was impressed enough to want to cook dogfish again. Last time I went out for rock fish, the buggers (dogfish) were out in swarms.
No matter where we moved, we were catching more stupid dogfish than anything else, as they travel in huge schools. I don't like them...sometimes they are as bad as mackerel for getting in the way of the "good" fish. And you really have to be careful when unhooking them because of those spines. They'll try to get you.

spinfisher
08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I thought I saw a post by doc stressor that said salmon can be deadky to dogs.

It's raw salmon that can make dogs sick. The cooking involved in canning should take care of that.

dogfish30
09-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Ouch! *[smiley=nana.gif]