PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Rockfish Charters?

namjagerungbengi
06-25-2014, 01:19 PM
After my less than stellar trip last Saturday I decided I'd try a charter the next time around. Anyone have any recommended charters? I'm after some big rockfish/lings, so I'm guessing deeper water trips would be better? Which charters go out to the Farallon's?

Thanks

AnglingWes
06-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Check on the Cal Dawn. Its a big party boat out of Berkley scoring limits of rocks and lings today on the Marin coast and occasional haul to deeper waters.

Ducks247
06-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Sea wolf goes out to the islands a lot. But I would recommend the new sea angler out of bodega bay. Around August and September he runs down to pt Reyes. BIG rocks and lings down there. I had a 90 lb sack one day. And I believe the cal dawn runs there too about that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishingfrieda
06-25-2014, 01:47 PM
The new huck fin out of Emeryville.

bassmaster415
06-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Sea Wolf goes out to Farralon often. I went on a trip last month. Everyone got their limit of rock fish and a guy won the jackpot with a 20 pounds ling. Give it a try.

slick88
06-25-2014, 04:18 PM
After my less than stellar trip last Saturday I decided I'd try a charter the next time around. Anyone have any recommended charters? I'm after some big rockfish/lings, so I'm guessing deeper water trips would be better? Which charters go out to the Farallon's?

I would second Sea Wolf & New Huck Finn as well as the Tigerfish, all out of Emeryville,

AnglingWes
06-25-2014, 04:20 PM
I have posted several reports on rocks and lings in the last 10 days. Go to the lingcod page on the homepage and read them. Most are directly from the charter captains.

Reel Fun
06-25-2014, 04:43 PM
I have posted several reports on rocks and lings in the last 10 days. Go to the lingcod page on the homepage and read them. Most are directly from the charter captains.

I Need help finding the Lingcod page?

AnglingWes
06-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Use the fishery finder in the middle of the homepage. Select "lingcod" from the species list.

Sea Shift
06-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Miss Annita out of Bodega Bay!

BigUnInDaBoat
06-25-2014, 07:16 PM
The lings are shallow right now. Only boats I use are the New Huck Finn, New Salmon Queen, and the Tigerfish, (for some reason have never been on the NSW) all out of emeryville. Have had terrible experiences on a couple boats out of Berkeley, yet great trips from the boats I've mentioned.

Went out on the NHF two weeks ago and scored 8 lings to 19.8 lbs, took the pot, and the boat had limits of lings/rockfish and stopped in the bay for stripers. Both recent trips on the TF and NHF all the lings were very shallow, caught my 19.8 and a 10'er in less then 40 feet of water.

Go Emeryville or don't go! ( I am only a customer and am not involed in any way with ESF, but I do love the fish I slay on their boats)

BUIDB

Ducks247
06-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Another good resource for boat scores, if you have Facebook is the golden gate salmon association page. They update scores daily. The boats that have been consistent are all the ones we have mentioned.

namjagerungbengi
06-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys, lots of help. The New Huck Finn looks like a sure bet. I've never caught a lingcod yet...

But wow $100 is a bit steep (to me) but looks like its worth it for a limit and lings

BigUnInDaBoat
06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys, lots of help. The New Huck Finn looks like a sure bet. I've never caught a lingcod yet...

But wow $100 is a bit steep (to me) but looks like its worth it for a limit and lings

It's $110 I believe

fishingfrieda
06-25-2014, 08:50 PM
It's $110 I believe
And worth every penny!

Bigg A
06-25-2014, 09:42 PM

take the ride to bodega..... New sea angler..... wide open lingcod bite. You can catch'em with your eyes closed

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
06-26-2014, 08:03 AM
take the ride to bodega..... New sea angler..... wide open lingcod bite. You can catch'em with your eyes closed

I'd never fish with Powers, that boat is old, and he has some shady history. Look it up.

nayr
06-26-2014, 09:11 AM
+1 for new huck fin. I fished with them last week and the bite was a bit slow on the coast. We were all the way up in drakes bay and didn't stop fishing till 4pm when the boat finally rounded out limits of lings and rockies. We made it back to the dock at 530. It had been a long time since I was on a charter that stayed out to get everybody loaded up. I was pumped bcuz I got to upgrade my lings for bigger ones later in the day. Get the bow or a back corner so you can sling swim baits. That's what I did alllllll day. Tooo much fun. Im hoping to go again soon when the getting is good

Bigg A
06-26-2014, 09:39 AM
I'd never fish with Powers, that boat is old, and he has some shady history. Look it up.
Yeah I've heard about him........ caught fish on his boat though

namjagerungbengi
06-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Use the fishery finder in the middle of the homepage. Select "lingcod" from the species list.

I can only see the latest 3 reports? Is there a way to see all reports for a species?

namjagerungbengi
06-26-2014, 11:52 AM
+1 for new huck fin. I fished with them last week and the bite was a bit slow on the coast. We were all the way up in drakes bay and didn't stop fishing till 4pm when the boat finally rounded out limits of lings and rockies. We made it back to the dock at 530. It had been a long time since I was on a charter that stayed out to get everybody loaded up. I was pumped bcuz I got to upgrade my lings for bigger ones later in the day. Get the bow or a back corner so you can sling swim baits. That's what I did alllllll day. Tooo much fun. Im hoping to go again soon when the getting is good

What kind of swimbaits are you throwing out there? How many ounces for the jig head? By slinging do you mean underhand casting?

BigUnInDaBoat
06-26-2014, 06:12 PM
What kind of swimbaits are you throwing out there? How many ounces for the jig head? By slinging do you mean underhand casting?

8-12, and yes. PM sent.

Ducks247
06-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Good thing about Rick powers is he won't stop fishing!!he comes back with limits every time. And even some bonus crab. Yes slow boat but best captain in the fleet hands down. I've fished most of the boats out of the bay and nobody compares to rick. Just my opinion. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/27/amaquzu8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/27/8ytysuqa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/27/2uza8uga.jpg

Ducks247
06-26-2014, 09:54 PM
The report from bodega today.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/27/y3eneheh.jpg

namjagerungbengi
07-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Well crud... Seems all boats out of Emeryville Sport Fishing are booked full from July 12 onward (weekends) through October.

JB14
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Go out of Berkeley.

nayr
07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I used a 6oz jig head since we were fishing around 30ft of water. 6inch white big hammer/fishtraps. And yup underhand casting to work a good area. I fished the back corner of the boat so I had a little elbow room to work with without tangling.

nayr
07-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Its kind of odd that there arent any seats available through october. There are a few boats that have not fished anything this season.

namjagerungbengi
07-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Anyone ever try the New Easy Rider? Having a tough time finding something out of Berkeley as well

nayr
07-02-2014, 03:07 PM
The new easy rider is the sh!t. Definitely a fun boat to fish with Joey and Coop on deck. Not sure who is where this season since joey sometimes runs the boat but I havehad some fun experiences on that boat. Example; I was allowed to gaff fish for myself and my group on a rockcod trip a few years back.Lot of fun there. I hopped onboard to fish an afternoon salmon trip when they ran two- a -days 2 summers ago. Nothing like a ride back to port in complete darkness bcuz we fished until the sun dissappeared.
I just hope In your case they are booking cod trips since they primarily try and stick to salmon.
Best of luck

slick88
07-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Well crud... Seems all boats out of Emeryville Sport Fishing are booked full from July 12 onward (weekends) through October.

I would think they just don't book open loads that far in advance.

I was looking at the Tigerfish schedule and it's open on several weekends for rockfishing.

Current Fishing Schedule (http://www.tigerfishsportfishing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=4)

namjagerungbengi
07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
I would think they just don't book open loads that far in advance.

I was looking at the Tigerfish schedule and it's open on several weekends for rockfishing.

Current Fishing Schedule (http://www.tigerfishsportfishing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=4)

I swear on my life I checked that schedule this afternoon and most of those were not on there!!! But I am so happy you posted. I will book a spot! Thanks :-)

niko
07-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Is there a charter that has a big sized boat like the size of the ferry boats you see in San Francisco? I want to go on a charter but have a phobia of little boats

namjagerungbengi
07-08-2014, 07:03 PM
So Tigerfish just cancelled in me saying they booked a private charter... thus no more open boat fishing.

I was able to book a spot on the C-Gull II which was the only one I could find with availability. Anyone have experience with them??

BigUnInDaBoat
07-08-2014, 09:16 PM
So Tigerfish just cancelled in me saying they booked a private charter... thus no more open boat fishing.

I was able to book a spot on the C-Gull II which was the only one I could find with availability. Anyone have experience with them??

Decent boat, not the fastest, but good captain and crew. You sure you can't get out on the New Huck Finn? If you follow them on facebook they always announce when they have openings.

One of the boats recent caught a 67lb WSB....you never know.

FTB530
07-08-2014, 09:33 PM

Had that happen to me with Happy Hooker , sucks ass.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk 2

slick88
07-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Decent boat, not the fastest, but good captain and crew. You sure you can't get out on the New Huck Finn? If you follow them on facebook they always announce when they have openings.

CG2 runs a good operation.

New Huck Finn is privately chartered on most weekends during the summer so it's
difficult to get on.

namjagerungbengi
07-09-2014, 07:51 AM

One of the boats recent caught a 67lb WSB....you never know.

Nope... NHF was the first I asked about and they said it was full.

namjagerungbengi
07-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Going out tomorrow... Wish me luck! Though their report today looked horrid. 1 rockfish and 2 salmon for like 19 people, yikes...

slick88
07-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Going out tomorrow... Wish me luck! Though their report today looked horrid. 1 rockfish and 2 salmon for like 19 people, yikes...

That was Thursday's salmon trip on the CG2.

Since you're going rockfishing, Friday's report is 270 Rockfish, 26 Lingcod for 27 anglers.

namjagerungbengi
07-11-2014, 08:57 PM
That was Thursday's salmon trip on the CG2.

Since you're going rockfishing, Friday's report is 270 Rockfish, 26 Lingcod for 27 anglers.

Oh thank god. Thanks for letting me know. I just refreshed their page and checked. Looks good!

Materalus1
09-03-2014, 09:43 PM
I always have a good time on the California Dawn.

Materalus1
09-03-2014, 09:44 PM
oh, and the Happy Hooker.