PDA

View Full Version : Easy, Yummy Camping Meals?

SuperDave
08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm starting to get a little repetitious on my camping menu. List your easy to moderate camping meals and recipes.

The Rich
08-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Boneless Chicken Breast
Butter
Cheese (any type you want)
Zucchini
Summer Squash
Onions
Lemon slices (optional)
Salt, Pepper, Gralic - season to taste

Directions:
Place Chicken Breast on Foil. Then, Slice the Chicken Breast about 3/4 the way in half. Spread butter inside the chicken breast. Put sliced zucchini, summer squash, and onions inside the chicken breast. Insert the cheese in your chicken breast. Then, fold up the foil tightly so not to let anything leak and place on the grill. Turn once or twice. Takes about 20 minutes.

rockbass
08-09-2007, 11:11 AM
We use the Spanish Rice-a-Roni mix.
Start by browning 1/2-1lb ground beef - also works with crumbled Jimmy Dean pork sausage.
Drain excess fat, but leave a little.
Dice vegetables. Onion, red bell pepper, zuccini, celery, mushrooms - whatever vegies you like or have with you.
Add to meat and saute.
Follow directions on package - adding rice to meat mixture.
Add Rotele tomatoes instead of stewed for some zip.
Cover and simmer.
Easy one dish meal.
Fish on the side goes well. Stretches meal to feed more people.
Also, we do the same thing with chicken Rice-a-Roni, using chicken instead of beef.

rockbass
08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Chili spagetti.
Cook one lb of pasta. We like to put chicken broth in the water for extra flavor.
Top with home made chili works best, but canned chili is a good substitute. We like one can of all beef and one can of chili and beans. Add some chopped onions is you have them. Cheese on top. Easy deal. One pot - cook the pasta, drain and add the chili to the pot, simmer until chili is warm.

sethonious
08-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Hobo Dinners-

Throw canned potatos, corn, green beans, and mushrooms into a foil packet with a lump of ground beef. Salt pepper and Garlic powder and fine diced onion. Wrap tightly with hheavy duty foil and toss in the fire turn and cook until they are done. These are great because they can be made in advance, don't require a camp range (just a campfire) and there is no clean up. Drown it it ketchup and it is like a barbaque meatloaf ball.

Toxic_Waste
08-10-2007, 03:47 PM
My son, Matt, makes some really tasty burgers on the campfire grill. He puts them together with turkey burgers (you can buy them frozen), grilled pineapple slices, and I am not sure about the cheese slices, but they mighta been Pepper Jack. When you grill the meat, baste it with some teriyaki sauce. Toast the buns a little, then assemble the burgers. They alway go fast. :P

shon42073
08-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Start with a meduim pot over meduim heat, brown lots of sliced onions, get em good and carmalized, Then chop up some smoked pork chops (you can find these in most grocery stores, there great for breakfast too, made by hormel i think) after you brown up the chopped pork and carmalized onions toss in a few cans of bean with bacon soup from campbells, may need a little water, ground pepper and garlic powder. Very simple but its pretty darn good, they never last long.

Toxic_Waste
08-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I wasn't sure if you were looking for "campfire" recipes or those that can be cooked on a stove in a camper or RV, but I will share what I have anyway.

Campfire Potato Bake
(A Dutch oven recipe)
30 oz bag of frozen shredded hashbrown-style potatoes (can be thawed, which will reduce cooking time.)
1-12 oz can cream of chicken condensed soup
8 oz. sour cream (not nonfat)
1 stick butter or margerine, melted
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (can be done at home and kept cold); a jar of Bacon Bits can be used as substitute
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1 can French's fried onions (the sort that are used to make green bean casserole); can be large or small, depending on how much you like onions
salt and pepper to taste

1. Line Dutch oven with foil for easy cleanup, if desired.
2. Mix soup, butter, and sour cream together. Put potatoes in the bottom of the oven, top with soup mixture spreading to cover the potatoes completely, then cheese, bacon and onions.
3. Cover and put on coals, adding coals to the lid to approximate 400*F (about 14-16 coals on top; 12-15 on bottom.) If the potatoes are frozen, it should take about an hour to an hour and a half.

Toxic_Waste
08-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Don't forget good ol' Frito Boats! Easiest thing in the world. You can even serve them in the small, individual-serving-size bags (not recommended for small kids, they will spill it). Just heat up some chili, pour over the corn chips, then top with shredded cheese, like Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, etc. Makes a good lunch.

TP
08-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Here is the best one I've come up with and would be great for an afternoon on the boat if you have a one burner stove and a pot.

Pick up cornish hens at the store. Smoke them for about an hour and then throw them in the oven for another 30-45min. Let them cool. Put them in Seal a meal bags put BBQ sauce in the bag and seal them. Put them in the freezer. Pull them out when your ready to go camping. Boil some water throw the whole bag sealed into the water and let them warm up. after they are hot open the bag and go to town.

The cool thing about this one is you can make multiple hens and use them when ever you want.