PDA

View Full Version : Drought Report #1: North Fork Stanislaus River Wild Trout Snapping? Looks like it!

drdehave
06-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Fellow Fish Heads:

Unless I kill myself first, by flying into a power line or granite boulder, from now until we start getting some decent rains next fall (we should all pray), I’ll be making regular drought-watch flights. These will be to check on conditions of our northern California reservoirs, lakes and streams, during this record-setting drought event.

My first flight in this series was made yesterday–over a stream reach I’ve long wondered about, but never got around to fishing. But now, after seeing it from the air, I’m headed in soon to give it a shot! This will probably be more dangerous than flying it–-given the amount of nasty-looking white-water we saw!

Anyway, here’s the way it looked yesterday, from 500 feet AGL–-and lower--with the old lady complaining about all the nasty turbulence I was making her fly in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRiZqQPG4Y&list=UU0avm_9h4lpS5sIcQaBCQ_A

If I survive floating it in my 8-foot drift boat, I'll be back later with that video report.--SF

k9mark
06-25-2014, 11:42 PM
I really enjoy watching your flights. Thanks for doing them. That was boards crossing at the end there.

drdehave
06-26-2014, 05:59 AM
That's right--Board's Crossing, and USFS Campground, at the end.

n2trout
06-26-2014, 06:17 AM
I have caught some nice fish at Boards crossing and above it at Beaver creek.
Thanks for the cool video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owlman2
06-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Once again, thanks for the cool video. I am a regular visitor to your YouTube page and I enjoy all of them!

drdehave
06-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Next day, I drove up (2.6 hours from Davis vs 47 minutes in the airplane)--to check out everything from the ground perspective, i.e., namely the "put-in" and "take-out" possibilities.

The river at Board's Crossing bridge, three miles in on the Spicer's Meadow Reservoir road (off H4), and way down at the bridge in the State Park was loaded with nice-sized stockers near access points. Maybe some of the fish they're dumping out from Nimbus Trout Hatchery (due to coming excessive water temps) are getting trucked clear up there--in preparation for July 4th weekend?

ktmquad
06-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Dave,

Send me a pm if you want some more info on the area.

drdehave
06-26-2014, 12:11 PM
ktmquad--I just shot you a message with questions. Thanks!--Rich

Captain Compassion
06-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Always wait for these. Thanks.

CC

49erbassman
06-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks for another great video. I look froward to seeing the boat drift video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Duck
06-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Love watching your stuff! Please continue to share and for helping put the drought like conditions in perspective.