PDA

View Full Version : Bones seperating from meat?

fishermannbob
08-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Went to McClure to day for the afternoon. Wont do that again, wind was bad and a lot of lice. Caught one nice fish and when I went to clean it the bones were coming off the meat is this normal? I have not caught a Kokanee this large before so I don't know what to exspect. I put the fish in an ice box after I caught only I did not have any ice. It was only in there for a few hours did I ruin this fish?

cptdarel
08-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi BOB, I'm sure you are talking about the rib cage bones separating from the walls of the stomach?. if so this is what we call Belly Burn, with the natural enzymes in the fish itself the decaying process starts immediately after death, even if iced, the guts must come out, it starts with small pock marks to the full decaying of belly walls, and not iced is only accelerating the process.

what I do is bonk, bleed by snapping or severing a few gills about 10-15 min, is ideal, guts out, spoon out belly blood, rest fish, 10 min. rerinse then ice down.

here is a thread in the FAQ section.
Darrell

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1121904648/0

fishermannbob
08-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks cptdarel, that is what happened. I normally put then on ice but I just real wont to get out on the lake today, I only had a short amount of time and the launch by the marina was closed. I think its because of the the low water but I'm not sure.