PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make their own hush puppies?

SuperDave
10-03-2006, 11:33 AM
The only reason I ever eat at Long John Silver's is my craving their hush puppies. Anyone make their own? Recipe? I tried some out of a box mix that were just okay.

ITUKAWAL
10-04-2006, 08:39 AM
I live a sheltered life David. What the heck is a hush puppy :-[

CJC
10-04-2006, 08:44 AM
That makes 2 of us. ;D ;D ;D I thought it was a stuffed doll pet......

Kneedeep
10-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Well most sniffers probaly don't go to Long John Silvers but they serve hush puppies with the fish dinners, there deepfried cornbread balls. I've been seen at the drive up at Long Johns with the boat still hooked to the truck ;D Kneedeep

ITUKAWAL
That makes 2 of us. ;D ;D ;D I thought it was a stuffed doll pet......

I thought it was a pair of shoes 8-)

I've never made my own shoes, let along eat'n 'em :P

metalmouth
I thought they were shoes. . . 8-)

ITUKAWAL
10-04-2006, 09:17 AM
OK SD, they are either, #1 shoes, #2 deep fried cornbread balls or #3 stuffed doll pet. We are all so confused ;D

ITUKAWAL
10-04-2006, 09:22 AM
OK, a little research was necessary. This guy thought hush puppies were fried shoes................

[Q] From Jim Austin: “Do you know the origin of the American term hush puppy? Hush puppies are little balls of seasoned, deep-fried dough (usually made with corn meal), often served as a side dish or appetizer in the South. I’ve heard two tales about the origin of the name but I don’t know if either one is true. The first is that Confederate soldiers during the Civil War kept their dogs quiet while they were cooking by feeding them fried dough balls. Thus, ‘hush, puppy.’ Considering the hunger and privation prevalent in much of the Confederate army, this strikes me as probably untrue. The second is that Cajuns in southern Louisiana used to eat a type of salamander they called a mud puppy. They weren’t too tasty plain, so folks would dip ’em in corn meal and fry ’em. Supposedly the term just grew from there. I doubt that story, too, since my dad’s family is from southern Louisiana, and while they fry a whole lot of things to eat, salamanders ain’t one of them. Can you shed any light on the subject?”

[A] I’m glad you told this ignorant Brit what hush puppies are: for a moment I had a vision of Southerners eating fried shoes.

The salamander story is retold in William and Mary Morris’s The Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins with some extra information, including other names for the salamanders of water dog or water puppy. The article claims that they were hardship food, not something you’d want everybody to know you were reduced to eating, therefore hush, keep quiet about it. It does sound rather unlikely as an explanation, I do agree.

CJC
10-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a delicacy to me! Salamanders, huh? They used to sell those in my local tackle shop long ago. I wonder if they still have them.... ::) ;D

ITUKAWAL
10-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Deep Fried Salamanders rolled in cornmeal and lightly sugared. ;)

mmmmm mmmmmm good

Hyjack - sorry.

SuperDave
10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Well, for all you uneducated to hush puppies, you owe it to yourself to go to LJS's and order some cod strips and an order of hush puppies. They are about the size of a doughnut hole, crispy on the outside and moist cake like on the inside.

thumbuster
10-04-2006, 11:15 AM
add a little cheese and jalapeno to your batter and kick it up a notch!

twinstwo
10-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Thumbuster has the right idea, cheese, jalapeno to your batter, a little garlic and pour in some Brandy.

Where are we going with this anyway???????????????? ;D ;D ;D

SuperDave
10-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Where are we going with this anyway???????????????? ;D ;D ;D

I was trying to get some recipes.

thumbuster
10-04-2006, 04:16 PM
SD, google hush puppys and you will find some good recipes to try. You've got me wanting to make some myself. We don't have a LJS here or I would be on my way. They go great with a catfish fry. The only problem is the hush puppies are gone before the fish is done.

fisherchick
07-27-2007, 08:49 AM
SuperDave - Did you ever find a good hushpuppy recipe? If not, let me know, I've got one that's all right.

MB_Kevin
07-27-2007, 11:31 PM
I had always heard that after a fish fry the old timers would fry up the extra batter and throw it out to the dogs when they got noisy and say hush puppies. I have done this a few times and they turn out OK. Some times good and sometimes just OK.

This info came from catfished.com and I hope it is OK with him that I post it here. If not send me a note and I will remove it.

The legend surrounding the hush puppy takes us back to Civil War days. Southerners would sit beside a campfire, preparing their meals. If Yankee soldiers came near, they would toss their yapping dogs some of the fried cakes with the command "Hush, puppies."

Hush Puppies by Judith Purdy

Note: This really isn't a catfish recipe but hush puppies are a
great sidedish to serve with fried catfish.

Ingredients:

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1 egg

Sift together dry ingredients, add onion,
add 1 cup flour, add butter and egg last.

Drop by tablespoons into deep fat preheated to 370 degrees.
Cook till golden brown.

Drain and serve.

FreshwaterFrank
07-28-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm a lazy guy, so nowadays when I want a hush-puppy, I forego driving anywhere, & I just mix up some corn meal, flour & spices in a bowl. Then I pour a glass of liquified lard. With a tablespoon, I shovel the flour into my mouth & wash it down with the warm lard. Every few mouthfulls, a good slug of Everclear cleanses the palate, and then goes on down to grease the impending bowel lock. Hoooyaah!