PDA

View Full Version : Ten easy steps to grilling those filets!

Naki
07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Ok Boys and Girls class is in! [smiley=clap.gif] Hats off, face the flag.....I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America............haha, I happen to live in a county where my kids still recite that each and every day! (Yeah, it is a Republican county)

#1. The secret to grilling ANYTHING is to start with a extremely HOT grill, turn all your burners on high for about 5-10 minutes depending on the size of your grill, and power of your burners. (If you are fortunate enough to have a temp gauge, you wanna peg it!) *:o

2. Prepare your filets with whatever seasoning you wish, (I like to use a blend of Salt and Pepper and some Old Bay) Lemon Pepper is good too. Sprinkle seasoning on both the flesh side and the skin side. *:P

3. Clarify a stick of butter in your microwave; you can do this by placing the whole stick into a Pyrex measuring cup or any glass microwave safe container. *You are going to nuke it for about a minute and a half or more depending on your power. You want to see the butter start bubbling for about a minute or so...what is happening here is that the water and cream are being evaporated, and you are left with the pure fat and a little "foamy salt" on the top. Be careful when removing from microwave. It will be extremely hot! *One stick of butter should be enough for about 15 to 20 filets.

4. Using a pastry brush, brush both sides of the filet with the clarified butter, this will help keep the filet from sticking, but more importantly, it is for FLAVOR!

5. TIMING IS EVERYTHING!!!! The rest of your dinner should be waiting on your fish, NOT the other way around! Average size Kokes and Coho filets will only take about only take about 4 to 6 minutes to cook depending on moist or dry you like em'. They should be the very last thing that you cook! ;)

6. Back to the grill, it should be very hot by now 500+ to start. Now you are going to MOMENTARILY turn all burners off, (this is so you can spray some "PAM" or any nonstick cooking spray directly onto your grates without creating a "flamethrower"! After you have coated the grates turn your burners back up to MEDIUM.

7. Working from left to right (all the way left) lay your filets FLESH SIDE DOWN in the 10 and 4 position (like on a clock) with the head side of the filet in the 10 spot, and the tail in the 4 spot. Leave about 1/2" between each filet. *do not go all the way to the right, leave about 4 to 5 inches. You need the extra room for the turn! The clarified butter on the fish tends to cause some flare-ups….for this I recommend keeping a spray bottle full of water hangin on the side of your Q.

8. After about 2 minutes, and now starting from RIGHT TO LEFT you will slide the thinnest metal turner or spatula you have under the filet…if you have done everything correctly it will not stick at all! Leaving the flesh side down, turn the fish to the right so the head is now in the 2 o’clock position, and the tail in the 8 o’clock spot. This will create your diamond pattern! Cook another 1 and1/2 minutes or so.

9. Now is time to turn the filet over, you are NOT going to mark this side, so no worries about positioning. Simply turn over and cook for about 2 to 3 more minutes.

10. Just before you remove from grill squeeze about a half a lemon evenly over all filets! ;D

There you have it, Grilling 101. *[smiley=yahoo.gif]* *Of course, there are many ways to skin a cat…But these are the basics, and you can use these rules of thumb for everything you grill. The biggest thing to keep in mind is to turn the meat as little as possible and remember to SEAR!! Searing seals in the natural juices of all meats. *The next time you throw a *one inch thick ribeye on the grill, *try this.…..follow grill heating instructions as described above, lay your steak 10 and 4, cook over high heat for TWO minutes, turn to 2 and 8 cook for two more minutes. Turn steak over and back to 10 and 4 for two more minutes then back to 2 and 8 for two more. You now have a perfect Medium Rare. If you want it done more, move it to the top rack (if you have one) for about 5 to 7 minutes or move to one side of the grill over no heat and leave the burners on the other side on.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to hit me back.

Good Luck and Great Grilling! :P

Naki

hilscher11
07-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Now if only your food tasted as good as you make it sound. HAHAHA one of these days though wee gonna have to have a cook off on these things. maybe on tuesday night with our kokes from sunday. Boo ya

rbnee
07-06-2007, 08:26 PM
great post..........BAM

MB_Kevin
07-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Nice post. I just learned about the heating the grill up first to get the lines on the meat. I never did it that way to get the XXX pattern on them. I use a similar way to cook my striper fillets but I wrap them in foil and add the spice and butter and lemon inside the foil for worries about the fish sticking. I think I will try this next time. 8-)
So you spice it before adding the butter I would have thought to do it the other way first?

SuperDave
07-16-2007, 08:19 PM
MB, with the foil, you get a little more poaching effect. Sometimes when I wrap the fish with a lot of onions and bell peppers, I put a couple splashes of white wine in the foil and that steams a lot of those flavors into the fish.

With the kokes and salmon, I've been using a seasoned mayo spread in place of the butter and it has been turning out fabulous too.

MB_Kevin
07-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I know it turns out great in the foil so I'm worried about changing it. *I don't want to mess up a striper fillet. *Those XXX marks would look cool if it would turn out right. 8-) *Maybe I will experiment with some steaks first. *I might try the seasoned mayo some time that sounds good. *I got a fish spice at rite-aid on clearance and it makes the striper taste great.
*I wonder if you cooked it in the foil then take it off and heat up the grill then drop it down for a few min to get the marks on it [smiley=chowtime.gif]