PDA

View Full Version : Raw Trout

hlty34
05-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Can you eat trout raw? Not sure if i'd even wanna try it but just curious... Must be the heat getting to me! ;D :o ::)

Empire
05-21-2007, 03:00 PM
I have heard and read arguments against it but....

I have tried it a couple of times on very fresh, very wild, and very deep colored meat which I simply could not pass up a shashimi sample.

It was pretty good, buttery tasting. I did not get sick but maybe I was just lucky.

CarsonWader
05-21-2007, 03:30 PM
I believe in general, you do not want to eat freshwater fish raw, due to parasites that could infect humans from raw fish.

danmcmartin
05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
You can eat trout (or any other freshwater fish) raw, but you take a chance with parasites. Salt water kills the parasites that can infect humans, fresh water does not. I doubt every fresh water fish carries a nasty parasite or that every parasite you ingest will make you sick, but there is a chance. I wouldn't do it.

On the other hand, they should taste a lot like raw salmon which is fantastic. Just go to a sushi bar.

metalmouth
05-22-2007, 08:47 PM
You might drop it in the freezer over night to kill the bugs. :o

hlty34
05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
i asked cause i saw the dude on Man vs. Wild eat a raw trout a few weeks ago. Then the other night i saw him do it again. Maybe he'll get sick... He or the guy from Survivorman took a bite out of a just caught Salmon too.

Sushi is good but i don't know about takin a bite out of a still movin trout or salmon...

Guess i'm not man enough

shon42073
06-24-2007, 03:53 PM
I call it eatin caveman style man, Catch a trout and just lay into that badboy like a grizzly does a salmon. People tell me i spend too much time in the woods.

FISHSTALKER
06-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Once you get past the slime you've got it licked. ;D

The_Big_Sinus
06-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Would not do it, at all. Lake trout, particularly, are a tape worm host.

Also, I doubt trout are of the same quality as salmon sashimi- they are MUCH leaner meat than farm-raised Atlantic Salmon.

MikeC
07-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I've seen both of those Man vs. Wild episodes and in both cases the fish were in Glacially fed streams. Maybe the extreme cold limits the parasites. The guy on the show said that while some saltwater fish may be poisonous, it was safe to eat any North American freshwater fish raw. I think I'd have to be pretty hungry, but good to know as I'm not that good with a compass ;D

johnbfishin
07-07-2007, 07:47 AM
i asked cause i saw the dude on Man vs. Wild eat a raw trout a few weeks ago. Then the other night i saw him do it again. Maybe he'll get sick... He or the guy from Survivorman took a bite out of a just caught Salmon too.

Sushi is good but i don't know about takin a bite out of a still movin trout or salmon...

Guess i'm not man enough

Those guys are getting paid to eat raw trout.......could have something to do with it. ;)

joshc40
07-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't eat raw trout. I don't think it would be a very safe thing to do. Just like all the other people above me said, parasites. You should do something to the trout first like soak it in lime juice or something. Mexican people do that with catfish, or at least my neighbor did.

Steve_M
07-13-2007, 02:01 PM
How about a half eaten Zebra thats been laying in the hot sun all day? :-/