PDA

View Full Version : Oak plank salmon

JPFX
07-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Got this out of another fishing mag. VERY good :D
Go buy a piece of 3/4" oak big enough to hold a nice salmon fillet, but small enough to place in a large dish for soaking. Soak wood in wine for 1 hour min. Take woood out of wine and place fillet on the wood, skin side down. Brush on olice oil to top of fillet and then skrinkle salt and lemon pepper on top. Cut up chives and parsley and throw that on top and then top it off with some thinly sliced pieces of lemon. Cook on the grill mediu, to med/high heat for 15-20 minutes without flipping. It easily slides off the board and onto a plate. I wish I could send a picture! This is a must try!

reeltor
07-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Haven't tried the oak, but have cooked salmon/steelhead on cedar planks. Delicious! Thanks for the reminder...

Reeltor

JPFX
07-06-2007, 03:00 PM
yeah, they said cedar was the 1st choice, but I didn't see any at Home Depot so I was stuck using oak.

metalmouth
07-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Being a cabinet guy I can tell you that a lot of people might have a reaction to the acid in Oak. Apple would be my choice. Cedar can be a bit strong. Alder would have a good flavor. When you are a cabinet guy you get to try a lot of wood raw. :-/ :P ;D

MB_Kevin
07-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Maybe the skin would help the penetration of acid but I guess it could get threw or the smoke or heated wood could allow the acid in. I guess it gets the flavor in some how. Doc would probably know. I would stick to using the ones they sell for cooking your fish on but thats just me.

I know what you mean FishBrainnn as a termite inspector/treater I also try alot of wood. ;D

Trout_Terminator
07-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I also try alot of wood. ;D

;D ;D ;D

So does anyone know where i could find some apple wood planks?

-TT

MB_Kevin
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I also try alot of wood. ;D

;D ;D ;D

So does anyone know where i could find some apple wood planks?

-TT
Hey now ;D

JPFX
07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I hear Costco has planks...not sure what type (flavor). I would assume cedar since it is the most common.