PDA

View Full Version : Cream Biscuits

fisherchick
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
After almost 3 years of trying to perfect homemade biscuits and gravy for for my husband, I have found what I feel is the best, foolproof recipe for biscuits (and believe me, my husband has had to stomach some real "sinkers" in the process. *A lot of people tell me they taste a lot like KFC's (depending on your taste, that could be either a good thing or a bad thing), but either way, they are really delicious...

2 cups Self-Rising Flour (make sure and use Self-Rising, NOT All-Purpose)

1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream (straight from the carton)

2 tablespoons Sugar

Mix ingredients and either roll out to desired thickness and cut with biscuit cutter, or drop by golfball sized mounds on cookie sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown on tops (I think about 11 minutes, not sure). *Cool to touch and smother in butter, or sausage or bacon gravy. * [smiley=chowtime.gif]

timetofish
06-25-2007, 10:35 AM
MMMMMMM....we we're commenting over the campfire this weekend on how come nobody made biscuits and gravy!! But nobody had a good recipe to try!! Care to share your sausage gravy recipe too?

Thanks!!

Brandon

SuperDave
06-25-2007, 01:01 PM
I love all the Grands varieties of biscuits. The flacky is probably my favorite. For gravy, I start with a tube of Jimmy Dean sausage, browned and mostly drained. The gravy is a simple white sauce, milk, buter & flour. Mix 4 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of melted butter and slowly stir in 2 cups of cold milk until all lumps are gone. Pour liquid into pan with sausage and simmer until gravy thickens. I like to add generous amount of black pepper. Milk is the thinner and flour the thickener. If you need to adjust your gravy, add the appropriate ingredient. If you'd like to thicken the gravy, disolve your flour in a small amount of milk before adding to the existing gravy or you'll have lumps. The Jimmy Dean sausage comes in a variety of flavors and levels of spiciness so pick what sounds good to you.

fisherchick
06-27-2007, 11:54 AM
A camping or fishing trip is not complete without biscuits and gravy. *When we go in the fall or winter, we often have it for dinner. *

I fry the sausage, remove it and all but about 2 tablespoons of grease. Reduce heat to medium, and sprinkle in a handful or so of flour (about 2-3 tablespoons). *Let the flour get all bubbly and start to brown just a bit, then whisk in about 3 cups of milk (or 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream), and whisk like crazy till all the lumps are out. *Throw the sausage back in and let it thicken. And of course, season with LOTS OF BLACK PEPPER. *Takes a time or two to get it right, but it's not hard. *It cam also be done the same way with bacon. * [left]

SuperDave
06-27-2007, 12:21 PM
fisherchick, bet you used to make SOS too. ;) Sounds like we grew up in the same kind of households. 8-)

fisherchick
06-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Sounds like it! *And I bet we share the same physiques because of it too! *;D *Actually, my mother never did much cooking from scratch and is not a "foodie" like I am, not sure where I got it. *If there's a technique or recipe that I haven't tried, just give me a few days and get to it. *I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain that I love to smoke meats and fish on.

I recently perfected fried chicken, which is awesome with those biscuits, by the way. *Of course, I had to perfect the fish fry, complete with coleslaw and hushpuppies! *My parents have an RV as well, and we go fishing with them a lot, so I recent fried up some trout and striper (some beer batter and some in cornmeal+flour) for them recently with all the fixings and oh was it good! *Mom usually just pan fries it rolled in a little flour, so it was quite a change for them. *

Anyway, glad to see I'm not alone! *;)