PDA

View Full Version : When do you clean your trout?

phengly
06-22-2007, 02:29 AM
I wanted to know when you clean your catch (right after you land it, before you leave the river/ lake/ stream or when you get home, etc.) and if there's any particular reason why.

I recently (and for the first time ever) cleaned two planters before I left the river which was about 30 mins. after I had landed them. I then put them on ice and cooked them the following day. It may have been just me but they sure tasted better than when I would come home and clean them (usually anywhere from 1-4 hours after landing them and placing them on ice for the trip home). I've seen about 1/2 clean them before leaving and the other 1/2 not. Don't want this to turn into a Chevy vs. Ford debate, just wanted to get a feel and some fatherly advice as to which way is better- if there is one. My own experince had pretty much convinced me.

Thanks in advance and I hope this topic is in the right posting. If not I'm sure trout-fan or someone gladly move- I mean make the appropriate decision.

snoose
06-22-2007, 02:58 AM
D B C
Most of us agree clean em as quick as you can and get them on ice. As you found out it makes for tastier table fare
Snoose

FresnoJack
06-22-2007, 03:39 AM
Hello,

The sooner the fish are cleaned and iced the better the taste.

Do you also bleed your catch?

Dave

dirty3hirties
06-22-2007, 04:42 AM
I've recently started bleeding the fish out immediately, don't clean them on the boat though. But I definitely clean them before I leave the lake.....mostly because it's just less of a mess at home and I know I'm too lazy to want to do it later after a long day of fishing. heheh. ;D

As far as taste goes, I really don't like trout all to much anyways.....it does taste better but of course some of the fish I catch have pink meat and some don't so there's variance amongst those as well. I'm not anal enough to really keep track of which are white or pink to really try to determine a difference.

SturgeonVirgin
06-22-2007, 05:02 AM
You're right bleeding is better

As soon as I catch one, I bleed it. Cut the gills, bleed it over the side of the boat for about 10 minutes or so, then ice it right away. keep the fish on ice not in it, and it makes for a better piece of meat.

snoose
06-22-2007, 05:04 AM
As far as taste goes, I really don't like trout all to much anyways.....it does taste better but of course some of the fish I catch have pink meat and some don't so there's variance amongst those as well. I'm not anal enough to really keep track of which are white or pink to really try to determine a difference.

Ditto, I do like it smoked though. I clean fish within 5 or ten minutes of catching them if I am on my boat. I am not anal about it but quality starts at the moment of catch and it's downhill from there.
JMO

Mickey_Thomas
06-22-2007, 05:53 AM
quality starts at the moment of catch and it's downhill from there.
This is true ;) I bleed them immediately, and put them on ice. If the fishing is slow and I have time I clean them on the water and return them to the ice for the ride home. Never put them on a stringer, especially during the summer months when the water surface temp can almost cook them ;)The fish will taste better, and you'll be happier ;D It still kills me to see a stringer of fish dragging behind a boat with a surface temp over 75 degrees, I always wonder who's going to eat those fish ::)

dirty3hirties
06-22-2007, 06:43 AM
If the fishing is slow and I have time I clean them on the water and return them to the ice for the ride home.

The real reason I can't clean the fish on the boat is cuz I'm in a thick school and I'm landing fish left and right! *No time to clean....it's hard enough to keep the lines in the water!! *Oh wait....I'm dreaming..... * [smiley=boring.gif] * ;D *

Snoose: *Is that banana on your boat!!! * [smiley=banana2.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=bananachaga.gif] [smiley=bananasplits.gif] *My buddies give me all kinds of grief cuz 1 time....just 1 time.....I ate a banana.....in the car! *They said I had jinxed them....that I wouldn't catch fish....that we'd have all kinds of boat troubles BUT I still outfished them and we're still here so I guess I had the last laugh. * ;)

The_Big_Sinus
06-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I keep pocket knife on my belt for cutting line anyway- if I'm keeping fish I cut the gills immediately and bleed them out. Put them on ice ASAP.

snoose
06-22-2007, 07:05 AM
[quote]

Snoose: Is that banana on your boat!!! [smiley=banana2.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=bananachaga.gif] [smiley=bananasplits.gif] My buddies give me all kinds of grief cuz 1 time....just 1 time.....I ate a banana.....in the car! They said I had jinxed them....that I wouldn't catch fish....that we'd have all kinds of boat troubles BUT I still outfished them and we're still here so I guess I had the last laugh. ;)

Dirty, yeah Bananas are welcome to my boat. one more pass donated a flagpole with hanging nanners and it is topped off with a nanner flag. Hang em all from the flag pole if they don't like it lmao

murph
06-22-2007, 08:25 AM
yea seeing the stringer thing is a bummer even up here in Tahoe where the surface temps still get pretty warm, I like to have a cooler with ice and put the fish on ice right when I catch them and clean them out when I hit shore. Hope that helps, Murph

Doc_Rhen
06-22-2007, 09:00 AM
I still hang stringers over the side, but if the fish die, I pull them up and clean them right there, I am curious about the relatively new regulation (I think it is new anyway) which says that you cannot drop any of the offal back into the water when you clean the fish. This seems bizzare to me other than the potential for chumming. Anybody know a good reason for not putting fish parts back into the lake or stream? I still remember fishing with my grandpa on the ocean, and when we headed in we would have a huge flock of gulls following picking up the guts as they were thrown off the back of the boat which had a cleaning station onboard.

The_Big_Sinus
06-22-2007, 09:25 AM
I am curious about the relatively new regulation (I think it is new anyway) which says that you cannot drop any of the offal back into the water when you clean the fish. This seems bizzare to me other than the potential for chumming. Anybody know a good reason for not putting fish parts back into the lake or stream?

Freshwater systems are not the ocean- and most streams and rivers do not have the creature power available to eat the offal. It might almost be better leaving it on the shore for scavengers... It's not a new reg. It's been there for at least 8 years.

anglinfool
06-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Pink meat are holdover trout that have feasted on crustaceans. :D

JoeTech
06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Ok, a little of the subject, but whats the deal with the bananas?

dirty3hirties
06-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Don't wanna hijack this thread but I couldn't help but comment on Snoose's signature pix. *I didn't know what hte big deal was either until one unfortunate day when I happened to bring one. *I guess it has to do with legends of sailing ships that would have large shipments of bananas. *Of course, a lot of ships sank, were plundered by pirates * [smiley=pirate.gif] ARRRGGGGHHHHH, etc, and the "only" evidence was these floating banana peels. *It just came to be thought of as bad luck. *Try going on any charter with some bananas and you'll see what happens *;) *

That's how it was explained to me but of course....like all legends, there's probably a hundred different variations. *I googled "bananas on a boat" and found this: *http://www.azinet.com/captjim/bananas.htm *And like I thought....there's a couple different variations including the one that was told to me. *

kokedealer
06-22-2007, 03:04 PM
no rush cleaning trout.
as long as they go in the blender whole within a few days they should be fine

Trout_Chaser
06-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I was not aware of the law not letting you clean fish in a lake. Is this for all lakes, or just particular ones?

snoose
06-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I do not have a new copy of the regs but under the long standing regs it is lake specific. this has been discussed in depth on the forum a couple of times. I am searching the current regs.
Snoose

shon42073
06-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I clean those bad boys as soon i catch em or within a short time. When you get a good pink or red meat trout its like mmmmmmmmm heaven on the BBQ.

stonesfan
06-24-2007, 06:55 AM
I also clean all fish ASAP. better tasting that way, also I have a question,

Are Banana Milk Shakes allowed?, they taste so good with BBQ fish.....

stonesfan