PDA

View Full Version : To all the trout smokers?

wcslingers
01-31-2007, 10:20 AM
How's it going Sniffers. I have an abundance of Trout vacume sealed in my freezer, since i'm the only one in my family that eats fish. Im looking to buy a smoker and would love to try it on some trout. Iv'e never smoked anything before, well that is with a smoker ;D. I was wondering if i can get some info on how to smoke trout, and maybe get some recipe's

RonM
01-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey WCS take a look on the "Cookin your Catch" board, there are several post with the information you are looking for already. Click on the link below and it should take you there.

Cookin your Catch (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=recipes)

Pyramid_Kid
01-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Get your self some hard wood and set aside about a day to do it. Low heat and lots of patients.

I have a little brinkman vertical smoker. I bbq with it and smoke fish and ......... pretty much what ever in it. Key thing with a smoker is low heat, and lots of time. BBQ is a little hotter and less time. Grilling is high heat short time. Hope this makes sense. As for seasoning Im pretty much a salt and pepper guy. But experiment. If your looking for recipes there are many to be had on this board just do a little searching as I dont recall exactly where they are located.

MSgt
01-31-2007, 10:47 AM
I smoked some trout once but I didn't inhale

Dandy_Dan
01-31-2007, 11:40 AM
I use a Big Chief smoker for my Salmon and trout smoking. I have also done other meats, such as chicken and pheasant. It is easy to use and comes with a book of recipes some of which i have modified to my own tastes. As i am writing this it is outside doing it's job on about 10 pounds of Salmon fillet from this last season on the river. Getting ready for a big super bowl party!

wreckdog
01-31-2007, 11:56 AM
I use big paper, ; the make sure not to roll it to tight. ;D

Ironhead
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Check the FAQ's page at the top of the trout board. There are links to all your questions there. this is a valuable tool for all to use.

mtnlks
01-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Had a hard time keeping mine lit. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mike22ca
01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
I do mine exactly like I would salmon and it comes out great!

Budcraz1
02-01-2007, 05:20 AM
[smiley=fishing5.gif]This is Budcraz1 with some for smoking tips for WCSLINGERS. You can smoke trout one of three different ways, first let it dry out then crumble it up and roll it it some papers [smiley=grinn.gif], second cut the tail off put it in your mouth and lite the mouth then puff away [smiley=grinn.gif] and last but not least, let it soak in a brine solution to cure it for about 6-8 hours then throw it in smoker for about 4-6 hours pop open a beer and enjoy. The brine solution that I make is 1 quart of water with 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar dissolved in it. I have two of the Little Chief smokers made by Luhr Jenson. I have been making jerky and smoking diffent types of fish for about 30 years [smiley=old.gif], so if you need a hand I will help you out. The electric smokers to me are more convieniant as you only need to burn one pan of wood for fish and two pans for jerky. I've even smoked fresh hams for Christmas before. Let me know when you want to get a smoker and i'll give you a hand.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Budcraz1

sk8erfish
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
INGREDIENTS
Approximately 2 half pound trouts
1 lemon
salt
paprika
cayenne pepper

Directions
Clean fish leaving head and skin on.

Rub the lemon on the inside of the fish.

Mix the salt, lemonpepper, paprika and cayenne pepper and rub it on the inside of the fish.

Place the fish on the smoker rack or hang from hooks depending on type of smoker you have.

Add whole peppercorns and lemon peels to whaterver type of smoking material you are using
(I use hickory sawdust with a mix of chickory)

Smoke fish for approximately 15 to 25 minutes
(again depending on type of smoker)

Serve with potato salad, and a nice cold beer.

sk8erfish
02-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Smoked Trout or Steelhead Trout

INGREDIENTS:

. 2 pounds trout,steelhead trout or salmon filet, fresh
. 2 tablespoons olive oil
. 4 cloves garlic, diced
. 1 1/2 tablespoon rosemary, crushed, either fresh or dried
. 1 cup morton tender quick
. 1 quart water
. pepper to taste
. alder smoking chips, soaked in water or wine

Optional: Add 1/8 to 1/4 Cup of Brown sugar for a sweeter tast.

PREPARATION:

Rinse fish in cold water. Place in glass ( not metal ) shallow roasting dish. Pour olive oil over fish, cover with minced garlic and rosemary. Rub into both sides well. Let sit in fridge over night ( at least 8 hours ).

Make a brine of Mortons Tender Quick and water. Pour the brine into the dish with the fish and let marinate for 15 minutes per half inch thickness of fish. Meanwhile, prepare your smoker or grill for a four hour slow burn ( 150f to start ).

Remove fish from brine and drain. Place fish on foil shaped as close as you can to the contures of the filets. Place this on the rack of grill or smoker.
Add alder chips to coals or heatbox, cover and let smoke for 2 hours.

Add smoke chips as needed. Increase heat to 200f and let smoke until internal temperature reaches 165f. Remove from grill or smoker and allow to cool for 20 minutes.

shon42073
06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I have a smoker but I turn out better stuff on my good ol weber BBQ.