PDA

View Full Version : smoking rock fish?

joez3
04-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Hi all,
I would like to try smoking some fish this year. Can you smoke rock fish? Can you somke them just like other fish?
Thanks,
Joe

SuperDave
04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
joe, do you already have a smoker? you can smoke just about anything that is edible. The strength of the original fish taste dictates a little bit about how I go about smoking a particular fish. Strong fish like salmon I smoke heavier than mild fish like striper. Heavy smoke on a mild fish makes it taste like you are eating burnt wood.

joez3
04-28-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't have a smoker yet, I was going to get the small big chief.
Joe

SuperDave
04-28-2007, 07:42 PM
There is a good smoker reference thread at the top of this board. There are also a few smoker recipes on here if yo can do a search. It's fun to experiment too.

Good Luck!

FatCat
05-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Smoking rockfish is a waste of rockfish, IMO. If you are going to do it, only smoke it for 20 minutes or so, then bake or saute it if it isn't already cooked all the way. Rockfish is far too delicate in texture and flavor, not to mention low in fat, to make good smoking meat.

shon42073
06-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Any fish can be smoked, I smoke everything from catfish to rockfish. A brine of soy sauce, kosher salt, brown sugar, and lots of whole black pepper corns, Marinate overnight, rinse well, let dry. smoke em all day over low heat with hickory or alder. Makes for a great snack for a day on the water. I like my smoked fish a little on the dry side. Rockfish makes excellent smoked fish.