PDA

View Full Version : COOKING CRABS

dempsey
05-23-2007, 12:36 AM
HOW DO YOU COOK CRAB AND GET THE MEAT TO COME OUT NICE AND WHITE?

THANKS

sethonious
05-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Clean em quick. Get the meat away from the guts and gills as soon as it is cool enough to touch. (Cook them and chill them out in ice right quick) Use rubber gloves if you don't have chef's hands.

drstressor
05-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Clean em quick.

That's the ticket.

The pre-cooked crabs you get at a supermarket often have yellow meat because of bile leaking from their hepatopancreas. That's the yellow organ that is sort of like their liver.

You need to clean the crabs while they are still alive. I do this by laying them on their backs and cutting them in half with a hatchet or a machete. This is a humane way to dispatch them since the nervous system rung along the under side. Then I remove the upper shell and remove the gills and all of the guts. The crabs then need to be cooked as soon as possible, but holding them on ice for an hour or so seems to be OK. Cooking cleaned crabs results in perfectly white meat.

MB_Kevin
06-02-2007, 03:36 AM
I have heard that you throw them in boiling water and when they turn pink they are done :-/ One night after a few wobbly pops I got pinched by a crab i caught so I decided to bring it home for a snack. Boiled up some water threw it in and it turned pink quick. I pulled it out and started to eat it....well it was not done ;D
So how long do you boil it? Now I have heard 15 min and I still hear until it turns pink. Also how do you get he meat out of the shell of dungunus crabs?

Linesider
06-02-2007, 10:53 AM
As others have stated, cleaning the crabs first will eliminate the yellow tint in the meat altogether. A couple of really simple tips should help:

If you have a turkey deep fryer (fill with water instead of peanut oil), they work great for doing multiple crabs, otherwise, a nice large pot on the stove top will do.

For every gallon of water, add about 1 cup of kosher salt. Salty water will give your crab meat better flavor and it won't seem bland. Add it when the water is boiling.

Add crabs to boiling water and when the water comes back to a boil, set a timer for 15 to 20 mins. The more crabs you add the longer it will take to get back to a boil.

While the crabs are boiling fill your sink with cold water and add ice.

When the timer goes off, shock the crabs in the ice water which will pull the meat away from the shells. A minute is all you need to do this. If you like your crab cold, leave in the water for about 10 minutes, the more ice the colder they will get. If you like your crab warm, pull the crab out of the ice water after the minute and put back in the boiling water for 1 or 2 minutes to warm it back up.

Pretty much a fool proof way to cook em...

I like cracking them and then putting them in garlic butter and toss back in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, mixing them up every couple of minutes to get the butter around all the parts. Serve with a nice loaf of french bread and bottle of white wine! Oh my word I'm hungry.

sethonious
06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Once crabs have returned to a strong boil I cook them for 14 minutes. I have found that is always right. You don't want to overcook them, but eating undercooked crabs is a great way to get sick. Remember that they are bottom feeders and they are full of bacteria.

tdekens
06-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I lived in Washington and when I was there I cooked them for 20 minutes at a strong boil. I used a cup of kosher salt just like linesider noted. When I first started I used crab boil and even vinegar in the water is another method. I got sick of eating dungeness and started liking rock crab more because it has alot less fat. I am back to dungeness now but I cant sit down and eat a few now unless its at the buffet. A turkey fryer makes and excellent crab boiler you can crank that temp up to get it boiling. Its real hard on say a natural gas stove to get that much water boiling. I also cleaned mine after boiling them. I say the same thing about the sink of ice water. I usually brought mine back on ice and then filled the ice chest with water when I got home and dunked them in there to cool. 6 a day was the limit. Me and my kid would go every day to empty our two pots and bring home 12 dabs. I never caught any salmon there but I did a job on the dabs. Where is that sour dough bread?
2shakes

sethonious
06-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Squid- Good clean seawater is great for cooking crabs. I just usually don't want to bring water home on the 1.5 hour drive. If we are staying at the ocean I would prefer to cook them in seawater. Great flavor.

However I have to quote the quiet man in response to your post. Mary Kate asked " Could you use a little water in your whiskey?"
Michaleen Flynn replied "When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."

drstressor
06-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Never eat the "butter" from Dungeness crabs! *Domoic acid and other toxins accumulate in that tissue. *

http://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/sgpubs/onlinepubs/g03005.pdf

The major effect of Domoic acid poisoning is permanent short term memory loss. *Have you noticed any of that lately? :'(

fernley_tim
06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
now you people have hit somthing that I have passion about!!! every xmas and thanksgiving we have d crab as our entree or side dish. if you start with live put them in the freezer for a few min. after you have the water boiling you must keep your crab above the boling water as in steaming them, everybody argues this point but steaming crab mainly dunges over salt is the best crab that you will ever taste!!!!! we clean our crab after the steam! if you have any butter in your situation rinse and wish you your not eating east blues or snow crabs ;) I have a love of dungies over other crab species and ive had them all in the northern cont. dont ever over coook the dungis just eat and enjoy ;D

MB_Kevin
06-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Once crabs have returned to a strong boil I cook them for 14 minutes. *I have found that is always right. *You don't want to overcook them, but eating undercooked crabs is a great way to get sick. *Remember that they are bottom feeders and they are full of bacteria.

Yea that is what I did eat an under cooked crab...I now know to cook them 15 min or so. Thanks

fishyguy
06-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Cooking a crab in the shell is like cooking a fish without gutting it first.

The best way to keep the flesh from being spoiled by the bile fluid and other innards is to clean the crab before cooking. *To do this, turn the crab upside down. *With one hand grab all of the legs (and the claw) on one side of the crab. (get a firm grip, especially if it's still alive). *With the other hand, grab the shell. *Pull the crab apart and what you'll end up with are the legs in one hand and the shell in the other. *Remove the bile sac without puncturing it, or at least dangle it down and away from the flesh while removing , in case you do break it. *Pull off all the other innards and your'e left with clean crab legs. *Place the legs in a deep dish and steam for 10 to 15 minutes till done. *You can also boil it but that toughens the meat. *Dip in your favorite sauce and enjoy.

drstressor
06-07-2007, 06:32 AM
I just find the taste of pre-cleaned,freshwater rinsed crab to be, well, non-existent. There is texture but dang little taste.

I agree. I've cooked them right at the campground an hour or so after pulling the traps and they aren't as tasty as the pre-cooked ones you get at the store. Maybe cooking them with the guts in adds something to the flavor. Or maybe the flavor develops after they sit around for a while. I'll have to test cooking them guts in vs guts out next time.

dbass
06-07-2007, 06:34 AM
You know when you boil crab you lose about 50% of the flavor, don't get me wrong, I've had crab at fisherman wharf, and at home that way and it was good :). The best eating crab, is fresh without boiling, just pull it apart, clean of the gills, chop it up, use the legs (cut off the tips), prepare your curry, prepare your, add crap, sautee, fresh cilantro, add water. Serve over rice or Nan bread / Roti. If you have a sinus ailment, it will clean it up right quick, ol man, my mouth starting to water :)

dimpala95
06-09-2007, 10:23 AM
You know when you boil crab you lose about 50% of the flavor, don't get me wrong, *I've had crab at fisherman wharf, and at home that way and it was good :). The best eating crab, is fresh without boiling, just pull it apart, clean of the gills, chop it up, use the legs (cut off the tips), prepare your curry, prepare your, add crap, sautee, fresh cilantro, add water. Serve over rice or Nan bread / Roti. If you have a sinus ailment, it will clean it up right quick, ol man, my mouth starting to water :)

I agree. I don't boil my crabs, I steam them for 20 minutes.

recs1 JBF
06-14-2007, 09:12 PM
* * I don't eat the gills but I love Crab Riggatoni made with some of the butter from a fresh cooked crab. *

That's the best part of the crab, THE BUTTER!!!

I too steam my crabs for about 20 minutes. **If you don't have a big steamer get a big pot and put a strainer or colander upside down on the bottom. *Add water then put your crabs on top of the strainer or colander to keep them out of the water. *Steam for about 20 minutes and enjoy *:D :D :D .

office_pirate79
06-19-2007, 09:26 AM
My family, both in Guam and here in the states, boils whole crab in coconut milk and it is frickin' screamin'!!! The coconut milk doesn't overpower the meat, but accents the natural sweetness. I consider myself to be a culinary snob in most cases and whether it's cooked that way or the way my Mom's side (the haoli side) does it, boiling has never detracted from the flavor.

When I'm up at my Mom's place and it's crab season, we buy those buggers right off of the crab boats when they come in...doesn't get any fresher than that. Take 'em back to the house and throw into a pot of boiling, salted water for about 15-20 minutes, clean 'em & eat 'em immediately with some drawn butter.

That being said, my Uncle steams his and the results seem to be equally delicious. But hey...what the heck do I know?

Give the coconut milk a try (if you're into that)...you'll be pleasantly surprised.

OP

MB_Kevin
06-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I had a co-worker that told me the same thing about the coconut milk. I will need to try that next time 8-)

shon42073
06-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I usually cook em for close to 25 mins depending on size, Then clean em and rinse well.