PDA

View Full Version : Too much uni?

FatCat
04-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I took a trip to the local sea urchin processing plant yesterday and was made an offer I couldn't refuse. Freshly shelled "B" grade uni (sea urchin roe) for $6 a flat! I have purchased the "A" grade stuff before for $20 a tray. The high quality stuff certainly looks prettier, is slightly smaller, has a more uniform color and texture, but, the taste on this lower quality stuff is just about as good. Definitely better than "A" grade that has been sitting in the sushi bar display case for a few days.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2621/070407unifl9.jpg

We ate a third of flat as soon as we got home and made uni don-buri (a bowl of rice topped with uni) with the rest of one flat. I just did up another "line" and I feel great! Any ideas on what I can do with the rest?

spinfisher
04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
So, what solutions did you come up with? :D

FatCat
04-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Hehe. My brother, the chef, suggested that I make some fancy uni-bacon-cream foam but it sounded too complicated for me to attempt. So I ended up eating a row an hour until it was all gone. No regrets.

godson
04-19-2007, 04:14 AM
I took a trip to the local sea urchin processing plant yesterday and was made an offer I couldn't refuse. Freshly shelled "B" grade uni (sea urchin roe) for $6 a flat! I have purchased the "A" grade stuff before for $20 a tray. The high quality stuff certainly looks prettier, is slightly smaller, has a more uniform color and texture, but, the taste on this lower quality stuff is just about as good. Definitely better than "A" grade that has been sitting in the sushi bar display case for a few days.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2621/070407unifl9.jpg

We ate a third of flat as soon as we got home and made uni don-buri (a bowl of rice topped with uni) with the rest of one flat. *I just did up another "line" and I feel great! *Any ideas on what I can do with the rest?where's this sop at?

spinfisher
04-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Uni-bacon-cream foam sounds good! Takes Bacon'n'eggs to a whole 'nother level! You should have tried it, then posted the recipe!
[smiley=chowtime.gif]

Farrier_Frank
04-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Yeah FatCat, what's the recipe for uni-bacon-cream foam? Sounds like it's worth a try, probably be good on some other stuff, too.

FatCat
04-22-2007, 09:48 AM
I just called him. He will e-mail the recipe to me this afternoon.

The uni place is in Noyo harbor on the left just a few buildings before the big parking lot on the end of the street. Walk between the two blue buildings and go in the door on the left and up the stairs to the office.

http://www.mcn.org/a/of/MrFac.gif

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.mcn.org/a/of/

FatCat
04-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Okay, here it is.

Ingredients:

2 qts - Heavy cream, at least 38% milk-fat
3 ea - shallots, sliced thinly
1 ea - clove of garlic, lightly smashed
1 tsp - whole peppercorns
1 ea - small bunch of thyme
1 ea - dried bay leaf
8 oz - whole slab bacon trim (the skin, the area around the nipples is especially tasty... Mmm nipples)
4 oz - Parm bones (the rind from parmigiano reggiano
12 oz - 1 # (??? I really never weighed it before... we just used a whole flat) - Sea Urchin roe
3 - 4 ea - Sheets of gelatin
To taste - Salt, and freshly ground white pepper

Method:

1) Make a bouqet garni with the thyme and bay leaf (tie them up with butchers twine). Combine the shallots, cream, garlic, peppercorns, bouqet garni, bacon trim, and parm bones. Bring the mixture to a simmer (don't let it scald, burn, or boil over). Reduce by half.
2) Fill a mixing bowl with warm water (about 160 degrees fahrenheit). Place the gelatin in the water one at a time, so that they overlap each other (Make an 'X' with the first two, then another 'X' over that 'X' with the second two).
3) While the gelatin is blooming, strain the reduced cream mixture through a chinois (very fine mesh strainer) into another pot. Taste the mixture, and season it with the salt and pepper (don't over-season it, the uni will add saltiness to it at the end).
4) Heat the cream mixture to a low simmer. Skim the gelatin from the water, and shake off excess moisture. Slowly added the gelatin to the cream, while gently whisking it. Make sure the gelatin is thoroughly incorporated, and remove the pot from the heat and allow it to sit at room temp.
5) Puree the uni in a robot coupe, or cuisinart to a fine paste. Scrape the uni out of the food processor and run it through a tamis (or whatever fine-mesh sieve you might have). Using an immersion blender, blend the tamis'd uni into the ROOM TEMP'd cream mixture. If you don't have an immersion blender, a normal blender will work, but don't over-blend the cream mixture.
6) Taste the cream mixture and season accordingly. Keep in mind that the foam will slightly cool when served, so a little bit more salt might be necessary.
7) Allow the cream mixture to chill slightly. Place it in a chilled whipped cream canister, and foam away.

*Note: this recipe is my brother's, who is a professional chef, and is not my own. You are welcome to use this recipe but any publication of this recipe without his permission will be considered a violation of his intellectual property.

wildturkey
04-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks FatCat I dove for years and would just spread the roe on french bread and squirt a little lemon juice on it and eat while still in my wet suit, but this recipe sounds great. Gotta drag the old suit out again?? Doubt it wil fit, maybe just snorkel it!!!

Wildturkey