PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Sharkin' 7/9

kromebrite
07-10-2014, 05:58 PM
It has been awhile since I have been sharkin', and I have missed it terribly.

Without doing a TMI, long story short my shark fishing buddy died and my other one moved away to Oregon. So I look upon the bay hiatus as a period of mourning. I miss them both. But one can only dwell in that place for so long before it is time to get back into the boat.

I have met up with another fisherman who has a lot of experience and a fantastic boat but has not had some of the experiences I have had with such things as sturgeon and the bay species. We have gone a few times sturgeon fishing, so that is a check. I've been talking up about the bay and he was up for a try, so a plan was made and away we went.

The plan was mainly South bay sharks. I thought about halibut, but the reports have been fairly mediocre lately. I called around the day before and even went out to Elkhorn bait, but everyone was out of midshipmen. Bummer, as that is my preferred leopard bait. Still, there are plenty of other offerings to throw at them.

Met up, drove down and stopped by the marina bait store. Low and behold, he had live midshipmen! I think I giggled a little as I was so excited. My excitement faded at the price though. $6.99 a piece. Good grief. Still, I had the opportunity to have ride on a great boat and all I needed to provide was bait, so this was no time to be cheap. 6 of those suckers, thank you.

Augmented that stash with 3 boxes of squid. Launched at Berkeley and moseyed on over to Alameda rockwall region for the first stop. Caught the tail end of a mild incoming. Set the pick in 22 feet of water. I was really suprised as to how warm the bay is right now. To start my buddy off, I rigged him up with a chunk o squid first. You know, a warm up.

Predictably, within minutes he starts to get hits which manifested into a regular size smoothhound AKA sandshark for him. I set him up with another chunk o squiddly. Another tap tap tap. Ahhhh, but this was different when he set the hook. The drag started screaming and he was yelling out various obscenties. He tjhought he was losing control. The tell tale signs of a newbie hooked up on his first bat ray.

I forgot how much fun it is to see that, and I remember the thrill I had when I first hooked one. Figuring he had had a good warm up, I rigged up two live midshipmen. Explained the nuances of this technique and waited. Nothing. How could this be? Leopards go nuts over these. well, sometimes they are shallow and sometimes they are deep, so we moved on over to the edge of the shipping channel about a mile or so South of the bay bridge in 40 foot of water. This was the slack and the start of the outgoing tide. I fished some squid and he had the midshipman out. I got a couple of smoothies and a ray or two.

I was kind of hoping at least a juvenile 7 gill would stop by, but that did not happen. Then his pole started dancing and sure enough, it was off to the races. He connects with a medium size leo. Another first for him. The trouble with a live midshipman is that you are almost garaunteed to lose the bait after a take. I put one on, but I dispatched it first so I could run the hook through multiple times. I did the same for him. Honestly, I think the dead ones work just as well. I get a runner but miss, he gets a runner but missed. This was theme throughout the day. I am not sure why. Not to boast, but this is not my first rodeo with this. Perhaps too small of a hook at 5/0? Not sure. I prefer the "let them hang themselves " method having the reel locked down, but I thought I would go with the clicker run method this time.

So after some more smoothies and rays the wind kicks in. Mild at first, but then turned into a banshee screaming howling gale force. We had to go find some shelter or call it a day. So we motored over to the East side of Treasure island and poked around. I have never fished that region before, but it looked tasty. Most importantly, there was some wind block. So we anchored in about 20 again. Fairly miserable still with an outgo and gale force wind coming at you. Still, what was the alternative? Call it a day and go sit in bay area traffic? No, I don't think so.

So we waited it out until the start of the new incoming. Moved on out to 42 foot of water. Smoothies and medium size rays were the standard. Then I get a good one on a midshipman, in all likelihood big leopard. LDR happens! Heartbreak hotel. He gets a good run with no connect. Then nothing. Just as my mind starts to drift to heading for the barn, I lay wood to a tap. For this I had a whole squid on. Go big or go home, right? This thing made my drag scream like nobody's business, and it easily ran a good 50 yards or so straight at the bay bridge like nothing. I slowed the spool a smidge and it snapped.

Now, I like light weight gear, so that is a factor to be sure. Still, I had and have brought in some good fish on this type of rod. 8'6" MH Ugly Stick light paired with a Shimano spin filled with 17 pound test. So yes, I can almost hear many of you now saying I got what I had coming to me for taking the trout rod out there. After that, I rigged up the heavy rod and tried again. Prepared this time, I was rewarded only with a view of the bridge and good conversation. Around 7;30, pulled the pick and headed back.

The conditions back were, to borrow one of my favorite phrases of all time to describe such, were "sporty" to say the least. Talk about a sheep ranch out there.

So, I did not do all that well but it was sure fun. As always, it was great to be on the water. My fishing buddy was able to see some new water and get the lowdown on bay sha-raying. He was able to get three new fish on his list. I really wanted a sevengill to come on board to round out his day with a full Captains Platter, but oh well.

Kromebrite with ray, a still life.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid/albums/pic-help/21800-bay1i.jpg

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid/albums/pic-help/21799-bay2i.jpg

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid/albums/pic-help/21798-bay3i.jpg

Zoom-in of the city by the bay...

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid/albums/pic-help/21797-bay3ai.jpg

salmonid
07-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Sounds like a good trip to me! Some action and some new fish for your friend.

Your photo is a little bit small, you might want to post a larger version?

Best,

kromebrite
07-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Mods, I could use some help on editing. Could we cut out the thumbnails and could I get pointed in the right direction on how to do full size photos? Muchas gracias.

salmonid
07-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Your pics on the photo hosting site are already rather small, I think you have the photo linking working well.

You just need to post up some full size ones there, and re-link them. Or, you can email them to me... ucd.fisheries@gmail.com or text them to me.

Send me a PM if you do email them.

Best,

Mods, I could use some help on editing. Could we cut out the thumbnails and could I get pointed in the right direction on how to do full size photos? Muchas gracias.

houla
07-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Nice report. Glad you've found someone else to share your experience with.

salmonid
07-10-2014, 07:29 PM
There 'ya go!

Looks like a blast out on the bay.

Best,

kromebrite
07-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Much better! Thanks gain. It was a good time for sure, although I would have like the fan to have been turned down a notch or two, LOL.

fishnmike
07-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Nice going. Summer sharkin is some of my favoirte fishing. When fishing midshipmen I use a 10/0 and just let the rod burry before taking it out of the rod holder.

For squid, get it at the grocery store, you get a 3lb box for abotu the price of a 1lb box at the bait shop.

kromebrite
07-11-2014, 11:59 AM
fishnmike, That is the main feedback I have gotten so far from some others is to go bigger on the hooks, particularly with midshipmen. I had some 7/0 I thought about putting on and next time I will.
Thanks for the tip on grocery store squid as the price was high on those as well.
I think the next trip will be San Pablo bay, and I think I will get some uncured roe as they seem to like it. Here comes another big bait bill, LOL! Anyone notice that the leopards in San Pablo do not seem to like midshipmen late in the summer but go crazy on them in spring? South bay leopards love them year round. Go figure.

fishnmike
07-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Unless you get small midshipman I would go 9/0 or 10/0. To keep from loosing them after one shark, I run the hook and leader all the way through their head from lower jaw to through the top. Then take hte hook and stick it through the back. You can get 4 or 5 sharks this way.

I wouldn't burn roe on sharks, save it for winter sturgeon fishing. Leopards will eat anything, they are the catfish of the bay.

Brickinthewall98
07-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Nice!!! Iv recently been tempted to go out to the bay in my boat but have never done it before so don't know much. I love fishing for rays and sharks tho! Thanks for the report

ApexPredator
07-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Great report, I love using circle hooks in the bay. Normally a 6/0 inline circle, bait up, leave gap exposed, free spool with clicker. Just about everything you would want to catch in the bay will hook itself on this set up.

Brickintheawll98, I do not know what kind of boat you have but the bay is pretty constant with having high winds in the early afternoon. Try and hit the water at sun up because around 1-2pm the wind will probably be up 10-15mph from what it was in the morning and for most recreational boats this is not fun fishing.

mike22ca
07-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Hey whats goin on Krome long time no talk. Glad to see you're still out there sharkin it up ;).

Brickinthewall98
07-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Great report, I love using circle hooks in the bay. Normally a 6/0 inline circle, bait up, leave gap exposed, free spool with clicker. Just about everything you would want to catch in the bay will hook itself on this set up.

Brickintheawll98, I do not know what kind of boat you have but the bay is pretty constant with having high winds in the early afternoon. Try and hit the water at sun up because around 1-2pm the wind will probably be up 10-15mph from what it was in the morning and for most recreational boats this is not fun fishing.

Thanks I will keep that in mind. My boat is 21 ft bayliner

kromebrite
07-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Hey whats goin on Krome long time no talk. Glad to see you're still out there sharkin it up ;).

Good to be back out!

Side question to everyone. I have been going through the regs, but I get mixed messages about using salmon heads and belly strips? I have an email in to DFW to shed some light on it, but I just wondered if anyone had some ideas.

JB14
07-15-2014, 06:06 PM
If you purchase then you're OK. If you catch then it's not OK. We've been asked to produce a receipt for salmon bellies in the past.