PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid - The Best is Yet to Come.

Captain Compassion
07-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Another great Pyramid story.

The return of the giant cutthroat trout | Al Jazeera America (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/7/10/the-return-of-thegiantcutthroattrout.html)

CC

borntoscout
07-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Any predictions as to what is in store for the Pyramid LCT fishery?

Captain Compassion
07-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Any predictions as to what is in store for the Pyramid LCT fishery?

Don't have a crystal ball but here's what I think. There will be an increase in 15#+ fish as the Pilot Peak class of 2007 - 2009 become young adults. The monsters will be more distributed around the lake but most of the biggest fish will still come from the south to those who pound the bottom near drop offs from Personal craft, boats or from the shore in late fall and winter. I'm unsure about the minnow crop for this year but I have seen some nice bait balls along the shore in the south. Should be lots of Summit Lake fish schooling from Pelican north and across the lake. The only way to really know is to go.

CC

Verdeye
07-13-2014, 11:07 AM
That is the most complete report about the Pilot Peak fish that I have seen. Thanks CC for posting it. It ties together all of the bits, pieces and rumors I heard over the last year. One person I talked to said some of the fish observed spawning in the lower river were likely 30 pounds before spawning. Next year should be very interesting.

SteelHunter
07-18-2014, 07:01 AM
That was an awesome read.

I'm glad to hear about such great efforts from everyone involved to bring back native fish to their native watersheds.

Troutzilla
07-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Nice article, I fished Pyramid earlier this year and it was fishing great. I can't wait for it to re-open in the fall.

The ironic thing about the article is I believe the Cutthroat pictured is a Pilot Peak strain, not a LCT. The Pilot Peaks have clipped adipose fins and they have that noticeably more compact head.

Captain Compassion
07-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Nice article, I fished Pyramid earlier this year and it was fishing great. I can't wait for it to re-open in the fall.

The ironic thing about the article is I believe the Cutthroat pictured is a Pilot Peak strain, not a LCT. The Pilot Peaks have clipped adipose fins and they have that noticeably more compact head.

Yes. That is a large female? Pilot Peak fish. PP fish are nothing more than another strain of Lahontan cutthroat trout. These fish can interbreed with the Summit Lake LCT that the tribe manages.

CC

CAL916BEAR
07-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Awesome!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk