PDA

View Full Version : Poor man's lobster

CaptSalmon
11-19-2006, 08:18 AM
:) Poor man's lobster is very simple, and tastes like a million bucks!

Fresh halibut cut into 3/4 or 1 inch chunks.
1 to 2 quarts water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
Melted butter with whatever seasonings in it that you like

Put the sugar & salt into the water & bring it to a boil. Drop in the halibut chunks. In 30 to 45 SECONDS they'll float. When they do, TAKE THEM IMMEDIATELY OUT OF THE WATER. Serve ASAP. There should be some of the melted butter available for each person. Dip the poached halibut in the butter & enjoy. A simple salad, some good crusty fresh french bread & a little cold chardonnay & you have a great dinner in less than 30 minutes!
You could probably do this one with any mild white fleshed fish such as ling cod.

Farrier_Frank
11-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Poor Mans lobster is one of our favorites. I found the recipe here on the boards about two years ago and now anytime we have halibut, or other firm white fish, we always cook up some Poor Man's lobster. But the discussion on the recipe back then called for boiling it in Seven-Up, Champaign (or something else I can't remember). I stuck with the Seven-Up and it has been a big hit in my house ever since. (Seven-Up probably because it enhances the sweetness).

My boys bring back the halibut from Alaska and when they first watched me poor a bottle of Seven-up into a pot and boil it up they thought I was going to try and pull one of my off-the-wall concoctions on them, like the sardine spaghetti sauce I tried once... but that's another story.

I cut the fish into bite size chunks so the only utensil needed is a tooth pick, and I feed the chunks into the boiling Seven-Up a handful at a time so as not to disturb the boil. The rule is to pull them out as soon as they float, but I usually keep an eye on the pot and bring them out as they are surfacing. The key is to never over cook them... and remember they will still be cooking as they are steaming on the serving dish.

Have your favorite dipping sauces ready because they should be eaten quickly, and believe me if you do it right there will be no leftovers. 8-)

AllFishNoWork
11-21-2006, 08:26 AM
they thought I was going to try and pull one of my off-the-wall concoctions

The good thing about that is I usually get the first hefty portion down before anyone realizes its' really good. ;D

I love the poor mans lobster, we have done it with ling cod and sprite. Being that I love Halibut too, I'll have to give that try.

the sardine spaghetti sauce I tried once

Being you only tried it once, I'm guessing it wasn't very good.

willbilly
11-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow, :) I just had this with 7-up what a treat. ;D

Sure glad I have the Sniffer boards to learn from. ;)

Now, I have called all my family to pass it along to them. 8-)

I think this will be easy enough to make @ the next HellStock to share with all the other good food.

PS: my sauce was heated-Butter,Garlic & lemon juice.

Thanks guy's

loudjimmy
12-16-2006, 02:29 AM
I have a funny feeling that the 7-up folks had no idea how versatile that darn drink was!!!

I can't wait to try the Poor mans lobster!!

I didnt read back very far... Has it been tried with striper?

lonestar12
01-14-2007, 03:17 PM
:D I like the sound of this poor mans lobster.. I will definately give it a shot on my next trip to the coast...thanks for the info: My mouth is already watering :P :P

FreshwaterFrank
01-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Poor Man's Lobster in it's purest form, should only be made with halibut cheeks.

Another one that sounds awfull, but will set off some intense eating behaviour...is

Halibut w/Ritz crackers & mayonaise. I discovered this one in AK also, and it's absolutely killer. Best with cheeks, but any fresh halibut will do. Layer halibut chunks with Ritz crackers & mayo in a casserole dish. A little black pepper on top is good. Bake @ 350-375 for 1/2 hour or so. Take a big helping, because you probably won't get a second shot at it. To die for. No guarantee if you don't use Best Foods mayo, and not the "light" variety.

keysersoze
01-17-2007, 02:51 AM
Very Nice!

I'll get some Halibut and try this out. My friend is stationed up in Alaska and he gets his hands on a lot of fresh fish.

Fishinjib
03-09-2007, 06:52 PM
hahahaha i love it!!! im going to try this maybe tomorrow for dinner...