PDA

View Full Version : Upper sac @ Dunsmuir.

Clearwaterkid
07-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Hit up the upper sac and fish were biting, and everything I threw got at least one hit. But no good hookups again('cept for one described below.).
Only two Things stood out to me. One: The bubble gum colored 1 1/2 inch gulp worms were the only thing that got hit more than two or three times(no solid hooksets sadly).
Two: I was throwing a Wooly worm on my fly reel(as I've said, I switch out between a fly reel and a spinning reel on my 9 foot fly-rod) to a eddy/hole between two boulders drifting into the soft water behind the downstream boulder, as it drifted, I mis-mended and it started to drag so I went to pull it out... and inadvertently set the hook into a BEAST. I fought it for a damn long time but only managed to get it about five feet away before it took off into the rapids I'd been fighting to keep it out of. Then it was history, along with my wooly worm and three feet of my leader. I got a good look at it though. I'm pretty sure it was a cut-throat or a cutbow. I put it at easily 19+ inches and three pounds. It wouldn't surprise me if it had gotten that big by eating any smaller trout that got in its line of sight.
Its my suspicion it was the off-action of the wooly worm moving faster than the current should've allowed that triggered the strike. If I had re-cast a second sooner, I would've never hooked that fish.

Troutbead
07-14-2014, 05:24 AM
To my knowledge there are no cutthroats or cutbows up there. Probably a large rainbow. Sorry for your loss. I seem to remember large fish lost more than large fish caught. At least you have the memory

Clearwaterkid
07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
To my knowledge there are no cutthroats or cutbows up there. Probably a large rainbow. Sorry for your loss. I seem to remember large fish lost more than large fish caught. At least you have the memory
You Sure? Cause I have memory of catching what was defiantly a cutthroat up there last summer.
Edit: I'll look it up

Sac/Striper/Slayer
07-15-2014, 05:55 AM
No cuts there but I'll tell u what. I've switched exclusively to power worms for trout. My buddies will use regular bait and I will catch and land more fish because I can catch 15 fish to one plastic worm. They would be baiting up after each bite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfitalia
07-15-2014, 08:08 AM
You Sure? Cause I have memory of catching what was defiantly a cutthroat up there last summer.
Edit: I'll look it up
Zero cutts there. Just big colorful rainbows

Clearwaterkid
07-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Hmm... Well then... There goes last years trout slam....
Let me guess? No goldens either?

Jfitalia
07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Hmm... Well then... There goes last years trout slam....
Let me guess? No goldens either?
In the upper sac? No. You got pictures?

Jfitalia
07-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Just browns and rainbows in there according to Internet as well.

Clearwaterkid
07-15-2014, 01:45 PM
I used to have pics, but at the time, the phone I had wouldn't sync with the computer and let me upload them.
Ah well.

Jfitalia
07-15-2014, 03:37 PM
The lakes and tributaries don't hold Goldens.