PDA

View Full Version : C-Gull II Report 7/12/14

namjagerungbengi
07-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Went out on the C-Gull II Saturday (after the Tigerfish cancelled because of a private charter) and I'm glad I did. Captain Don was great and very patient with everyone and took the time to teach how to target the big ones as opposed to just limiting out quickly and heading back.

I really wanted to go to the Farallon's to see what the fuss was about. We started along the coast but the bite was slow, so he made the call and said we're heading to the islands, which was awesome because he said even he doesn't go there often.

After a long trip out the fishing took an hour to heat up and once it did it was awesome. I got my first Ling ever and Bocaccio. I didn't get the Vermillion I was after but maybe next time. After testing several baits lures I found the live bait wasn't that affective (anchovies). Once I put on the Berkley Saltwater Grubs and Mullets, I was getting slammed until the scent wore off and then I would continue when I refreshed the grubs. I was surprised how many Olives there were, I was almost getting tired of catching them, are they more common than blacks and blues?

Overall caught more than my limit but took a long day to do so but totally worth it. Learned a few things... I need a high speed casting reel (recommendations?) for deep waters and a stiffer rod for jigging irons. I didn't think it would make a difference but after 10 drops at the Farallon's I wished I had a faster reel.

Thanks

WHT.RUS
07-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Hey Hey. I was on the same boat:) We were on the windward side. Great day for sure. The captain is indeed a cool guy!

nelson9
07-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Good to hear you had a good trip. I've fished on the C-Gull 2 a few years ago and it was a good boat to fish on. What reel are you using? I've heard a lot of good things about the Penn Fathoms. 6:1 ratio for the non levelwind and I think 4 something for the levelwind models. Daiwa Saltist are similar to the Fathoms as well.

namjagerungbengi
07-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Hey Hey. I was on the same boat:) We were on the windward side. Great day for sure. The captain is indeed a cool guy!

Awesome I was on the side casting into the drift (right side) in the back corner of the boat. How'd you fare? And what tackle were you using?

namjagerungbengi
07-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Good to hear you had a good trip. I've fished on the C-Gull 2 a few years ago and it was a good boat to fish on. What reel are you using? I've heard a lot of good things about the Penn Fathoms. 6:1 ratio for the non levelwind and I think 4 something for the levelwind models. Daiwa Saltist are similar to the Fathoms as well.

I was using a cheapo Okuma Magda Pro 4:1 ratio on an Ugly Stik Tiger. I have a Daiwa Saltiga rod paired with a AG 6501 that's great for shallow water but I need new gear for deep water after experiencing that trip.

I prefer a level wind reel that I can do both jigging and casting with.

WHT.RUS
07-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Awesome I was on the side casting into the drift (right side) in the back corner of the boat. How'd you fare? And what tackle were you using?
We were using shrimp flies, squid rigs and live bait rigs. Had to buy a few grubs from a guy next to me which may have been your buddy. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/je3e3u3u.jpg

namjagerungbengi
07-14-2014, 07:57 AM
That's hilarious, I was fishing right next to you. I was going to just give you the grubs for free but you paid faster than I could say no. I'll get you back if I see you again! You were using the low profile reel if I remember and the squid jigs the captain was giving you a hard time about lol. And I'm not sure how you had the energy to clean the fish yourself, though I wish I had in the end as well, as the fillet job was a bit shoddy.

I think your buddy caught that HUGE Vermillion(?) at the end of the trip. Now that I was jealous of.

WHT.RUS
07-14-2014, 09:00 AM
That's hilarious, I was fishing right next to you. I was going to just give you the grubs for free but you paid faster than I could say no. I'll get you back if I see you again! You were using the low profile reel if I remember and the squid jigs the captain was giving you a hard time about lol. And I'm not sure how you had the energy to clean the fish yourself, though I wish I had in the end as well, as the fillet job was a bit shoddy.

I think your buddy caught that HUGE Vermillion(?) at the end of the trip. Now that I was jealous of.
We put the fish on the ice until we got back to Sac. I prefer cleaning the fish myself as Im not in a hurry and leave more meat. As for the squid jigs, my buddies been doing good with them at Bodega so was worth a try. The deckhand got butthurt when I grabbed the gaff to pull the last fish for my buddy. It was a Vermillion. You go out there often?

namjagerungbengi
07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
We put the fish on the ice until we got back to Sac. I prefer cleaning the fish myself as Im not in a hurry and leave more meat. As for the squid jigs, my buddies been doing good with them at Bodega so was worth a try. The deckhand got butthurt when I grabbed the gaff to pull the last fish for my buddy. It was a Vermillion. You go out there often?

Oh man that's a brutal drive back for you after that long day. I would have traded my ling for that Vermillion, that thing was a beast. This was only my second time Rockfishing from a party boat, I'll try to get more trips in later after salmon fishing probably. Do you go often and from where?

WHT.RUS
07-15-2014, 05:25 AM
My buddies go out almost every Sunday from Berkley and Bodega. We are all waiting for the salmon so will be doing that every other day :)

namjagerungbengi
07-15-2014, 09:09 AM
My buddies go out almost every Sunday from Berkley and Bodega. We are all waiting for the salmon so will be doing that every other day :)

Man I am envious, I wish I could go out that often! What boats do you go out on for salmon? I went on Bluerunner Sportfishing last year as they bleed and ice their salmon, which was important for me.