PDA

View Full Version : Spinner Making Question

dsa2780
07-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Okay, so I'm getting into making my own ghetto spinners and I have made two trolling style ones so far out of old silvertron wire and parts. I want to make my own ones but don't know the pieces needed to make them or a reliable site to order off of or if I can go to a craft or tackle store and get most of the pieces. What gauge wire do I need? What size clevises? What size of little metal beads?

Kind of a lot to ask, but lure making sites are so freaking hard to navigate and know if each component will work with the others before I order.

I'm looking to more or less get close to the blade of a bluefox with about the length of a single blade silvetron.

monkey916
07-13-2014, 09:50 PM
check out Janns Netcraft Lure Making Supplies, Lure Components (http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/lure-making-parts/) might have what you need or hit up Naughty Flash via pm... my neighbor gets stuff once a month from Janns... good luck...

ps. were you talking new romeos rick... or blade runners rick...?

salmonid
07-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Not sure what gear is best for down here, but my buddy up in OR uses B.C. Angling Post - Home (http://www.bcanglingpost.com/) for spinner parts.

Also, if you make a lot of them, the twist tech tool makes it pretty easy to make spinners. I used my friend's and it was pretty simple to make nice lures.

Best,

dsa2780
07-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Not sure what gear is best for down here, but my buddy up in OR uses B.C. Angling Post - Home (http://www.bcanglingpost.com/) for spinner parts.

Also, if you make a lot of them, the twist tech tool makes it pretty easy to make spinners. I used my friend's and it was pretty simple to make nice lures.

Best,

I like the blade selection on this site and may look into a few of the larger painted ones for what I plan on doing. Bigger blade means bigger vibration and they can be reeled in slower. Thanks. Monkey and this old magazine I have from 1980 recommended on how to get around the spinner twister dilemma since they are pretty costly. Piece of wood about 10 inches long with 2 nails close together in the front, one in the middle and two again on the end. Slide the wire in between the nails and make your twists. Not as professional as a twisttech, but it'll get the job done I assume.

Tried out one of the ones I made last night just a few minutes ago. It fluttered and thumped really nicely. Had a few bass agree with it.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10458839_724377634276019_5270850008562344640_n.jpg

salmonid
07-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Can't argue with that result at all, dsa! I think river smallies are actually smarter than salmon, but you fooled one!

You got a pic of the board with nails twister?

Best,

dsa2780
07-14-2014, 08:40 PM
I missed a few better sized ones as they would strike it on the flutter when I'd stop paddling and would immediately run for the surface. Iffy weather as well, but I'll be using them as guinea pigs for other types I plan on making.

Here's the old magazine photo. It was about how to make buzzbaits and spinnerbaits fro bass fishing, but the board can be used for any wire really.

http://i.imgur.com/rW13hAk.jpg

Brickinthewall98
07-14-2014, 08:52 PM
I like the blade selection on this site and may look into a few of the larger painted ones for what I plan on doing. Bigger blade means bigger vibration and they can be reeled in slower. Thanks. Monkey and this old magazine I have from 1980 recommended on how to get around the spinner twister dilemma since they are pretty costly. Piece of wood about 10 inches long with 2 nails close together in the front, one in the middle and two again on the end. Slide the wire in between the nails and make your twists. Not as professional as a twisttech, but it'll get the job done I assume.

Tried out one of the ones I made last night just a few minutes ago. It fluttered and thumped really nicely. Had a few bass agree with it.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10458839_724377634276019_5270850008562344640_n.jpg

Geez that's gotta feel good catching a fish on a lure you made. Imagine landing a salmon on a home made lure. I would feel like a champ

monkey916
07-14-2014, 08:52 PM
dsa... you got a pic of that spinner with you holding it upright...(the spinner itself). or pm it when you get a chance... i wanna see something...

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-14-2014, 09:02 PM
.31 gauge is standard in most spinners
I like the .41 personally, also a wire bend tool is $8. And makes perfect turns every time.
Most commercial salmon spinners sport 6mm or 8mm beads or a combo therein
Most have size 5 or 6 colorado blades in front of a size 6 or 7 willow.
The single blade spinners are normally size 7 Colorado with 5-7 8mm beads.
I just copied some old standbys out of the box

dsa2780
07-14-2014, 09:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZKltaIE.jpg

Best I have right now. I forgot why I added a swivel on the bottom instead of just going to the splitring. I think that my thought process was that if a fish is hooked, it can get leverage on you or pop your splitrings. Kind of like how a pencil popper and DWB have that rotating hook hanger in the middle of them. It looks really trashy and I may want to use smaller stronger black swivels for it on my completely custom versions.

The single sickle hook is also something I plan on sticking with. They're strong and I feel like a jerk catching the same smallies over and over again and seeing how F'd up their mouths are from treble hooks. Salmon, I could care less and may make a few with trebles.

@QAR, thanks man. I was wondering about wire gauges since we only deal with chinooks here in CA. Most other forums are from washington or Canada and they seem to prefer thinner wires that you can bend with your hands for steelie and coho spinners. Nooks have jaws of steel though, and I've had a flying C ruined after two fish.

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-14-2014, 09:11 PM
If your going to make flying c clones I'd get some .51 gauge and the lead bodies that fit over it. They will last longer, especially if you add a swivel to the hook so they won't get as bent on head shakes

DRF
07-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Hagens tackle is a good place to pick up bulk supplies.

bigfishonly
07-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Hagens tackle is a good place to pick up bulk supplies.

Hagens tackle, moores lures, spinner daves, luremaking are good but no one place will get it all covered! Since I coppy silvertron and also make a naughty flash lure look alike I would go with the 8mm beads I like to buy @ luremakingonline in Canada clevises go 3 for small blade and 4 for large. The little silver beads below the clevis is 5/32. Wire for double bladed .031-.041. Blades I use 5,6 olimpic blade, I am going to try the indiana this year and use 6,7 as they run smaller this is for the top blade of the double bladed spinner w/ olimpic willowleaf(magnum willowleaf) bottom blade #6 sounds strange but the 7 idianna is smaller than the 6 olimpic. I use twizteck I believe, It works like a charm cost about $70.00.

DRF
07-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Hagens tackle, moores lures, spinner daves, luremaking are good but no one place will get it all covered! Since I coppy silvertron and also make a naughty flash lure look alike I would go with the 8mm beads I like to buy @ luremakingonline in Canada clevises go 3 for small blade and 4 for large. The little silver beads below the clevis is 5/32. Wire for double bladed .031-.041. Blades I use 5,6 olimpic blade, I am going to try the indiana this year and use 6,7 as they run smaller this is for the top blade of the double bladed spinner w/ olimpic willowleaf(magnum willowleaf) bottom blade #6 sounds strange but the 7 idianna is smaller than the 6 olimpic. I use twizteck I believe, I works like a charm cost about $70.00.

Ya I'm a big fan of those Silvertrons, are you getting silver plated blades? I'd make my own again if I had a handful of those beauties...

bigfishonly
07-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Ya I'm a big fan of those Silvertrons, are you getting silver plated blades? I'd make my own again if I had a handful of those beauties...

yep, silver, painted, and I got some 24 carrot gold plated blades to try!

Mr Ed
07-16-2014, 07:07 PM
you might also try staminainc.com 800-546-8922
for your components.

have fun.......

NaughtyFlashLures
07-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Hagens tackle, moores lures, spinner daves, luremaking are good but no one place will get it all covered! Since I coppy silvertron and also make a naughty flash lure look alike I would go with the 8mm beads I like to buy @ luremakingonline in Canada clevises go 3 for small blade and 4 for large. The little silver beads below the clevis is 5/32. Wire for double bladed .031-.041. Blades I use 5,6 olimpic blade, I am going to try the indiana this year and use 6,7 as they run smaller this is for the top blade of the double bladed spinner w/ olimpic willowleaf(magnum willowleaf) bottom blade #6 sounds strange but the 7 idianna is smaller than the 6 olimpic. I use twizteck I believe, It works like a charm cost about $70.00.

:thumbsup:

Good info. Don't use smaller than .035 wire for double bladed rigs, the wire bends easy enough when a salmon hits it. No need to have the fish twist them up like bread bag twist ties. Expirement with your blades, all of them have different vibration and speed tolerances. The longer and flatter the blade, the slower it can be retreieved or trolled and achieve your desired rotation.

Different companies have different names for basically the same stuff, its easy to get confused.

dsa2780
07-27-2014, 01:58 PM

Thar' be some spinner making going on today lol. Went to FW and picked up $60 worth of gear. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Oh yeah, QAR, I picked up a wireformer for $9.

Brickinthewall98
07-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Oh **** ur set! Cant wait to see the final product

dsa2780
07-27-2014, 07:58 PM

They're weighted nicely and look good, but, I hate the way these run. I made five of them with the willow blades and the Colorado blades since that's all that FW had in stock in size 5 and 6. I regret buying them since these spinners can't be reeled in slowly. They will be trolling spinners and the other 15 will be made after I find some Indiana blades or something more along the lines of the silvertron blade that can be barely reeled in. These would also work better in fast water like the AR, not in the deep slow sac.

Gotta go back and buy 15 new blades. I have some paint to do the bodies as well. I'm kicking myself so hard over the willow lead and colorado blades lol. They run nicely, but at a much faster pace than what is needed in the area I fish.

NaughtyFlashLures
07-27-2014, 08:06 PM
If you plan to use these as a trolling spinner why put a weight on them? Using a 3 way or spreader with your weight hanging below keeps your gear off the bottom a little and out of the snags.

dsa2780
07-27-2014, 08:13 PM
If you plan to use these as a trolling spinner why put a weight on them? Using a 3 way or spreader with your weight hanging below keeps your gear off the bottom a little and out of the snags.

I didn't plan on them being for trolling but that's all I can really use them for at this point since they're not going to be good casting spinners. Either that or they're just going to sit at home unused. I dunno, I'll give them a shot in the AR in the coming days and see if the willow leaf ones work better in current. I did see silvertron style blades at FW, but they were $6 for two a pack. Didn't seem like a good deal when all others were 40 cents.

NaughtyFlashLures
07-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Wires cheap, if you don't like them cut the end off and disassemble them. I dont like Indiana blades personally, good vibration but you have to pull them a little faster than I like, willow you can pull super slow but they are all flash and no vibration.

monkey916
07-27-2014, 08:29 PM
dsa... does fishermans have any french blades...? for the casting ones you are building...

dsa2780
07-27-2014, 08:39 PM
dsa... does fishermans have any french blades...? for the casting ones you are building...

They did, but only in smaller sizes which sucked. Very true about the willows just being all flash. Colorado has more thump but still, it catches water and ends up being more like a spoon.

French is what I'm looking for now.

monkey916
07-27-2014, 08:41 PM
here's one of the ones i was telling you about... side by side with a flying c...

crappy pics again...

dsa2780
07-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Looks like it will spin better than these for sure! :grin:

Yeah, I'm going for the different blades and will start painting the bodies in the meantime.

salmonid
07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
If you want some really nice blades, dsa, look up "umpqua blades". Best for trolling known snag-free areas or used while anchored up as they are $. Solid brass, copper, and so on that you can shine up with polish as needed. RB lures has good blades too with nice paint jobs.

You want a nice "thumping" action for nook spinners and this style delivers.

Umpqua blades (I'm too lazy to go take a pic of my lures now) :

http://shortbusflasherscom.ipage.com/store/media/diamond%20brass.jpg

monkey916
07-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Salmonid... you caught fish down here on those blades...?

salmonid
07-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Salmonid... you caught fish down here on those blades...?

Negative on that, monkey, but I haven't busted them out much either. I like my kwiks here, but I'm gonna switch it up when I have a couple of guest rods in the boat this year (also gonna run some rotating bait!).

I understand that spinners catch more steel on the mainstem Sac than kwiks anyway which could greatly increase the number of my fishing days.

Best,

dsa2780
07-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Those are kind of like the style of Colorados I have. I'm looking more along the lines of something that can be dragged super slow right along the bottom. The silvertron style blade is still my favorite, but I'm going to check out a few different ones soon.

monkey916
07-28-2014, 04:53 PM
What do you guys think of having dark colored blades on a spinner...?

like black,purple,dark green,or red...?

sorry for the high jack dsa...lol.

NaughtyFlashLures
07-28-2014, 04:55 PM
What do you guys think of having dark colored blades on a spinner...?

like black,purple,dark green,or red...?

sorry for the high jack dsa...lol.
I can attest to red and blue working quite well, but im biased and have access to A LOT of spinners.

dsa2780
07-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Monkey, I think dark spinner blades would work well in the sac. Blue/purple and black might be a good combo. If it works for jigs, why wouldn't it work for spinners?

I'm partial to silver blades with some sort of char. or blue or pink on them, just means I don't have to switch out as much if it's sunny or cloudy out. I don't like the solid pink blades for the sac, but solid char or firetiger is a good combo.

I'm pretty sure salmon see blue better than they do other colors. I remember reading something about how they see it a bit better than other fish do, but can't remember the source. I'll research it later.

These are the clamshell size 6 blades from the site salmonid posted on the first page of this thread.

http://www.bcanglingpost.com/uploads/2/1/4/1/21419074/___3459190_orig.jpg

http://www.bcanglingpost.com/uploads/2/1/4/1/21419074/___3228253_orig.jpg

I'm going to paint a few of the newer blades I'm getting flat black and dot them with char and blue.

monkey916
07-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Hey T.. is there a certain measurement that the blade needs to be from the hook... like closer the better or like an inch or 2 away... or it doesn't matter... i was just talking with my neighbor that used to build spinners... and he liked it within a inch of the hook... if he built them and they were longer... he would crush a bead or 2... till it got closer to the 1 inch mark... im talking about holding the spinner upright... and the distance from the blade to the hook...

NaughtyFlashLures
07-29-2014, 04:45 PM
I like them long enough to not have the hook interfere with the blade, not sure that answers your question though.

monkey916
07-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Actually i laid out out 6 different companies spinners... and all are in the 1/2" range from tip of the blade to the tip of the hook... shore or trolling about the same 1/2"... then i pulled out my homemade supply from different people... they vary from like 1" to 1-1/4" between blade tip and hook tip... I was just curious if their was a guideline measurement... that tackle companies use... but i answered my own question it appears...

stretch9986
09-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Go to Hagens.com, they have everything you need.. Have a catalog sent to you and they have actual size of blades and all the things to make lures, clevis, beads, and such.... I also use lure parts online and jannsntcraft.com.... Hope this helps

robn510
09-26-2014, 04:02 PM
http://www.hagensfish.com

(http://www.hagensfish.com/)