PDA

View Full Version : Pin bone Removal?

NRJohn
01-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Is there a good way to remove the pin bones when cleaning trout? I don't mind them but daughter No. 1 picks through the cooked fillet until it looks more like cat food or something before she'll eat it.

metalmouth
01-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Locate the lateral line of pin bones by running your hand against the grain of the fillet. Using a sharp knife make two incisions on both sides of the line of bones and remove them. *;)

Cat Food! [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

fshn_4vr
01-31-2007, 12:13 PM
I also will fillet down both sides of the pin bones to remove them. The down side to that is that you'll lose some good meat, up side is that the kids will like it better. On the bigger ones I'll use a pair of needle nose pliers and just pull them striaght out. That way is especially easy on Salmon and large Trout.

metalmouth
01-31-2007, 12:21 PM
It really depends on presentation. My girl friend thinks that when I pull the bones with pliers it makes the fillet look like cat food!

[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

spinfisher
01-31-2007, 12:48 PM
I usually cut on each side with the knife to get rid of pin bones on little fillets, but for big fillets: salmon, macs, big kokes and trout, I use the tweezer/plier method.

The way I keep the meat from looking like catfood when pulling pin bones is this: once I've got hold of the bone with the tweezer in one hand, I press down on the meat on either side of the bone with the forefinger and thumb of the other hand, as I pull it out. This holds everything together, and keeps tufts of meat from coming up with the bone and tearing the fillet.

Pulling pin bones is picky bizness, but I'm a picky lady... ;D

RonM
01-31-2007, 12:56 PM
My wife caught me using her tweezers the other day, now she won't use them so they are mine.... ;D

tortuga
01-31-2007, 03:50 PM
I locate the pin bones by running my hand against the grain (up towards the back) Then I cut under the bones at an angle (start at the bottom and angle the knife along the bones ). I then make a cut straight down above the bones cutting out a triangle. I don't lose that much meat, at all, and it makes a little trough to hold any marinade or sauce I use when cooking.
If Froggie bites into a bone or finds one in her mouth thats it for that dinner. I had to learn to get them out!
Tight lines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

tortuga
01-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Oh yeah, You think they look bad pulling them out try a "Wonder Boner". I used one for a long time til I learned to filet trout. Its this metal(horizontal) ring welded to a vertical rod. You cut off the head and tail and force the spine through the ring and it rips the bones out of the meat and then you split the fish and have 2 filets. Talk about catfood....this thing ripped out every bone, not just the pin bones. Snoose really loves the one he got. LOL [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
Tortuga

metalmouth
01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
tortuga, I won't ask how much one of "those" cost. ::)

tortuga
01-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Bet you could buy Snoose's reel cheap...fact is I've got one I'd love to fool someone , I mean help sonmeone out with. I should have known when it was 10.00 in Gloryhole's bargain bin!
Tortuga

metalmouth
01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
I have a display of seldom seen and little known trout gear as well as a lot of antique reels, cat gut leaders, flies and such. I'm going to have to acquire one of those for my collection.

spinfisher
02-01-2007, 10:37 AM
The best tweezers for this are the "scissors" type (I got mine from "Vermont Country Store"), with the loop handles. No slipping and sliding while you're pulling. And, no one mistakes them for their own.... :P

NRJohn
02-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Hope to put it to use this weekend.

NRJohn
02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Tried the new method over the weeknd. Worked great. Think there was only one bone in the 3 trout I filleted. Of course I got it. Good thing the trout were all over 16" though otherwise might not have had much to eat. As it was the wife said the fillets look like eels. Well not all of them. Thanks for the info.

Saw an elderly gentleman cleaning trout at the cleaing station. He was using a short bladed fillet knife. He took the pin bones out with the fillet still attached to the trout. Pretty interesting. Wish I could remember how he did it. His friend said he stopped trying to do it that way a long time ago.

FatCat
02-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Ah! My funniest post ever has been deleted! How long was it sitting here before you caught it??? :-?