PDA

View Full Version : SMOKED HALIBUT

aintscared
01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
I RECENTLY SMOKE A BUFFET OF FISH, SOME MELONES KOKANEE, SOME COPPER RIVER SOCKEYE SALMON, SOME MONTEREY ALBICORE, AND SOME ALASKAN HALIBUT.. AND THE FOURTH PLACE AWARD GOES TO THE SOCKEYE, THE THRIRD PLACE AWARD GOES TO THE KOKANEE, AND THE SECOND PLACE GOES TO THE ALBIE AND THE GRAND PRIZE GOES TO THE ALASKAN HALIBUT... MMMMMMMM
SO IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE A LITTLE EXTRA IN THE FREEZE , AND I KNOW ITS A TUFF THING TO PART WITH FOR THE SMOKER BUT I SUGGEST YOU TAKE A FILLET AND THROUGH IT IN THE NEXT TIME YOU GO AND THROW SOME SALMON OR WHAT EVER IT IS YOUR SMOKIN ON YOUR SMOKER NEXT TIME YOUR SMOKIN, ITS DOWN RIGHT TASTY !!!!

SuperDave
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I guess that just proves that great tasting fish tastes great anyway you cook it. ;) ;D

drstressor
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
I've never really liked smoke halibut. The stuff I've done myself and every product I've sampled in AK have always been dry and kind of flavorless. Sort of overpowered by the smoke flavor.

Do you have a specific recipe that you like?

aintscared
01-24-2007, 09:58 AM
I USE 1 1/2 CUPS HOT WATER AND MIX UP MY 1/2 CUP SALT AND 1/2 CUP SUGAR AND 1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR TILL DESOLVED POUR IN TO BOWL AND THEN I ADD 4 TO 6 CUPS COLD WATER , 1/4 CUP SOY , 1 TABLE SPOON GARLIC SALT , TABLE SPOOL LEMON PEPPER , 2 LEMONS CUT IN HALF AND SQUEZZED THEN DROPPED IN AND TWO FRESH OR DRIED BAY LEAVES AND SOKE OVERNIGHT OR TWO NIGHTS AND MAKE SURE U MOVE THE FILETS AROUND MID SOKE TO STIR UP BRINE A LITTLE AND THEN I TAKE OUT MY FILETS AND RINSE LITELY WITH TAP WATER THEN I PAPER TOWEL DRY *AND PLACE ON MY OLIVE OILED RACKS FOR SMOKIN (SOME TIMES I LIKE TO ADD SOME FRESH GROUND PEPER AT THIS POINT OR SPRINKLE A LITTLE MORE BROWN SURAR ON *OR EVAN HONEY FOR SALMON, THEN I PLACE IN MY BRINKSMAN HOT SMOKER WITH MY KINGSFORD BRICKETS AND AND MY WATER SOAKED HICKORY CHUNKS ON TO THE BRICKETS AND DEPENDING ON HOW HOT ITS HALF HOUR ON ONE SIDE AND HALF HOUR ON THE OTHER LAST TIME I DID IT WITH THE TUNA AND HALIBUT MY SMOKER WAS HOT ALL WAS DONE IN 45 MIN. SO U GOTTA KINDA WATCH IT *;) MY FISH WAS NOT DRY AND WAS NOT OVER SMOKED U CONTROL ALL THESE FACTORS AND EXPERIENCE ALWAYS PAYS OFF THEN I LAY MY FISH ON PAPER TOWEL COVER BAKIN SHEET AND LET COOL EITHER IN FRIDGE OR MY COLD GARAGE TILL ITS COLD AND READY FOR MY MOUTH , GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY SMOKIN 8-)

spinfisher
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Hmmmm. Sounds good! Guess I better copy this recipe down. Just somehow have a feeling I'm going to need it. ;) ;D

drstressor
01-27-2007, 11:48 AM
And you would be right. ;)

Thanks aintscared. 8-)

JMan999
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Im getting hungry.. LOL where's my rod.. ;)