PDA

View Full Version : Tomales Bay

BearFlag
07-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Hello,
Staying at Lawson Landing next week and considering going into the bay if weather is good for crabbing, halibut or salmon. I have a 12 foot alum boat, Is the bay safe for this craft in good weather if I stay away from the mouth? If so what might be the most fun for someone who has not been to tamales before crab, halibut or salmon and what general area might I try. I have down riggers. Thanks!

CDK
07-18-2014, 03:53 AM
Don't know about the DRs as I never used them there. I fished for years with my 12 footer and caught my share of Butts. Weather it is safe is on you. I saw a lot of stupid in those years but common sense worked for me.

F33rNoFish
07-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Cool have fun and report. I was headed there this week for camping with the fam and then we came south to carmel but I really want to see how that place is.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckyraider
07-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Hello,
Staying at Lawson Landing next week and considering going into the bay if weather is good for crabbing, halibut or salmon. I have a 12 foot alum boat, Is the bay safe for this craft in good weather if I stay away from the mouth? If so what might be the most fun for someone who has not been to tamales before crab, halibut or salmon and what general area might I try. I have down riggers. Thanks!

Tomales can get rough if its windy so be careful in a 12' Alum. Only rock crab season is open now and the bigger ones do eat ok but the majority are smaller. not worth stocking up on unless your really big on rock crab. The best bet out there is Halibut, which you can hook from the mouth on up into the bay. As for Lawsons Landing dont expect any special treatment from anyone who works at the place. Its hit and miss as far as they go. We spent alot of time there the last few years but we wont go there any longer. Its expensive and there was just too much negative vibes all the time from those who run the place. Not all the time but enough to make us realize Doran was the better option as far as lauching and camping. Way cheaper and the Rangers are 90% freindlier. Dont even take your downriggers unless your going out the mouth.

bassmaster415
07-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Talking about Lawson's landing, no offense but I have many negative experiences with this place. Every time I went to get some bait from the store, they always gave me that dirty look for some reasons, even from some guys standing outside. It was not like I was not paying for it. I got so uncomfortable that I just stopped going in. One time (also my last time), there was a kid about 10 years old riding a cart (looked like a golf cart) going 3 mph in the MIDDLE of the a 40 ft wide dirt road leading to the launch that refused to yield for vehicles behind. We were following him for a long distance before passing by him going at about 8 mph (max was 10 mph). Then when we were waiting to get our boat on the water, he approached us with the attitude and said: "Next time you do this, I will ask you to leave." I was speechless and did not want to get into it with a kid. I was kind of joking and said you shouldn't be riding that cart yourself at 5 AM and where were your parent. He didn't even bother answering me and turned around and went to the store. Honestly, I was paying $8 to get in, another $20 to have their loader push our boat to the water (they don't have launch ramp) and $20 on drinks and snacks. That's my hard-earn $50 right there and got treated like that. Another thing, If you are planning to launch your 12 ft boat from the beach, you HAVE to pay a ridiculous $10. Otherwise, they will come yelling at you. I have seen that happened many times. I will never ever come back here again. Sorry for the rant, but the management should really step up before customers turn their back.

BearFlag
07-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the info, looks like halibut if the weather is good! Hopefully Lawson's won't be too bad.

fishing brian
07-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Completely agree. I won't go to Lawson's any more. Last time I was there many people were keeping illegal crab, somebody stole my 2 crab nets, we had to camp in a parking lot 10 feet away from the next people. It was miserable. Bodega is much better. Just my 2 cents.

Magnetwheel
07-21-2014, 12:43 PM
I have been fishing Tomales for years in my 12 footer. Like to catch bait in the bay to use on the halibut, dead baits work also. Plenty of other action as well with sharks, rays, and stripers. Some years see a decent run of white sea bass ad the salmon do migrate in as well. I would suggest staying clear of the mouth without any experience here. Keep your eyes and ears)peeled for the Elk on the hillsides.

luckyraider
07-23-2014, 12:58 PM
:pirate:So i see im not the only one who has experienced the Lawsons Landing attitude. We never could figure out what their problem is out there. I think mostly its caused by having to deal with city slickers and other newbys all the time. The people that run the place are mostly related and have developed an us against them attitude. Its too bad, its a beautiful area and the fishing and crabbing is excellent alot of the time. The Cal. Coastal Commission has been trying to shut down their operation out there for various environmental issues also. Normally id be against the shutdown of any mom and pop operation thats been around as long as they have. But they need to go, they do not have the sense to run any type of public operation. Its sad that people are so judgemental this day and age. RIP Lawsons Landing the sooner the better IMO

bassmaster415
07-23-2014, 02:51 PM
RIP Lawsons Landing the sooner the better IMO

Haha. Totally agreed. I heard from some regular camping/RV people said that the Cal. Coastal Commission went after them because of the lack of maintenance on their facilities that might have an impact on the environment. If you were to go past the bait shop on the left, you will see hundreds of old RVs parked there for years with lots of them being empty. Old and broken boats, crab traps, trailers, trash, everything you can think of is everywhere. Worst yet, there are quite a few cows roaming around, and their poops are all over the place. One time, I saw a lady getting extremely angry because a cow pooped right outside her tent, and she stepped right on it. Really bad and I felt bad for her. The management is pulling in tons lot of money and won't even spend pennies upgrading their facilities. What a waste of a beautiful location.

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-23-2014, 04:18 PM
If you think the cal coastal commission tried to shut anyone down to protect anything think again. After they reclaim property they do not clean it. Look at all the other properties they(the state) have taken back under the guise of environmental protections.
They are still in poor condition, but no one can use them.
If you'd rather there be a sanctuary there then a camp ground with easy access to Tomales and the Pacific then keep touting the ccc.
Someday when the state owns it you'll be able to look down and see how beautiful it is from the Highlands haha

luckyraider
07-25-2014, 04:30 PM
If you think the cal coastal commission tried to shut anyone down to protect anything think again. After they reclaim property they do not clean it. Look at all the other properties they(the state) have taken back under the guise of environmental protections.
They are still in poor condition, but no one can use them.
If you'd rather there be a sanctuary there then a camp ground with easy access to Tomales and the Pacific then keep touting the ccc.
Someday when the state owns it you'll be able to look down and see how beautiful it is from the Highlands haha

As i wrote im not in agreement with the state entitys taking anything over. But in this situation since i cannot and will not ever go back to the resort in question id have no problem with the stste closing them permanently. There is a public launch Miller i believe its called near Tomales that will allow access to the bay when Lawsons is shutdown so IMO RIP. No touting the CCC from me they should be on the closure list too. Along with the BLM, CDFW, and all the other useless, revenue generatting agencies that rape the California sportsman. :pirate:

Brickinthewall98
07-25-2014, 04:54 PM
As i wrote im not in agreement with the state entitys taking anything over. But in this situation since i cannot and will not ever go back to the resort in question id have no problem with the stste closing them permanently. There is a public launch Miller i believe its called near Tomales that will allow access to the bay when Lawsons is shutdown so IMO RIP. No touting the CCC from me they should be on the closure list too. Along with the BLM, CDFW, and all the other useless, revenue generatting agencies that rape the California sportsman. :pirate:

Oh great i just booked 3 nights at lawsons... Oh well screw the camp ground as long as i get fish i am happy

luckyraider
07-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Oh great i just booked 3 nights at lawsons... Oh well screw the camp ground as long as i get fish i am happy

Theres good fish in the area so if you keep your expectatuions to a minimum its all good. Halibut are in the bay as we speak.

Steamer47
07-26-2014, 03:57 AM

Be sure to give us your opinion of the place when you get back.

Brickinthewall98
08-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Be sure to give us your opinion of the place when you get back.

Well the location was nice. The actual rv park was iffy. I don't hate it but the bathrooms were pretty gross and some of the "residents" had some trashy living areas. Rumor has it koa is buying the place. It has a lot of potential but they have defiantly improved.

BarnacleL
08-05-2014, 08:28 PM
On Lawson's fishing blog he writes last Sunday about a boater near Bird Rock seeing a great white shark jump half way out of the water and another boater getting his outboard scratched and transom slimed by a mola (sunfish they get to 2200# according to Wikipedia) jumping.

I was feeling all cocky about taking my 16 foot dory out there but now a tired old river salmon with red skin no scales and white meat caught in the Sacramento river near Isleton is looking sweet.
:mind-blowing:

F33rNoFish
08-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Then I guess my 12' has no business out there. Haha

Although I just saw a pic of the trip and the water conditions looked great!