PDA

View Full Version : West Walker Nostalgia - Part 1

PMR#9
07-18-2014, 02:00 PM
This is my first post - but I was just wondering if anyone out there remembers ....
1. The camp below Bootleg and our Camp Host back then (early '70's - mid 80's) Camp was unofficially named after him
Anyone out there remember this?

Captain Compassion
07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
This is my first post - but I was just wondering if anyone out there remembers ....
1. The camp below Bootleg and our Camp Host back then (early '70's - mid 80's) Camp was unofficially named after him
Anyone out there remember this?

Sorry I didn't start really fishing the WW until 2007. BTW welcome to the Sniffer.

Richard

PMR#9
07-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Sorry I didn't start really fishing the WW until 2007. BTW welcome to the Sniffer.

Richard

thanks Richard Read your posts as soon as they come up. this post is just to get things started .

RideNfish
07-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Welcome,
I don't remember the names of the camp. Didn't camp over there a whole lot but fished there a ton in the late 70s early 80s. Still do some. You are talking about the walker just on the other side of Sonora Pass right?

PMR#9
07-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Welcome,
I don't remember the names of the camp. Didn't camp over there a whole lot but fished there a ton in the late 70s early 80s. Still do some. You are talking about the walker just on the other side of Sonora Pass right?

This camp ground was on 395 about 1.5 miles below chris flat Or about 1/4 mile below bootleg . Keep in mind this campground is not there now . floods took it out. BIG HINT =DUTCH FLATS

PMR#9
07-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Boy am I feeling old on this .Nobody remembers dutch he was the mayor of walker in the summer months

Jetspray
07-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Boy am I feeling old on this .Nobody remembers dutch he was the mayor of walker in the summer monthsWell being sort of a newbie to the Walker area myself, I have no clue. But welcome to the boards anyway. Yes I feel old too, everytime I get out of bed it sounds like I am stepping on bubble wrap all the way to the bathroom (if I can remember where that is in the dark).........Jetspray

lookin4trout
07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Well, I don't particularly remember Dutch, but I do have fond memories of the Ol' West Walker. I do believe Dutch Flat is where the picnic area is now located below Bootleg. Personally, I always stay(ed) in Bootleg as it is less crowded and well maintained. I do recall:

1. being stunned and shock, the first time I saw the canyon after the flood. I nearly cried because my favorite fishing spot was destroyed. I gave it a whirl though, since I was already there. Second cast, fish on, and the river was still good as ever!:

2. Mountain Gate, and never knowing if I was welcomed or not, as I fish the "big rock hole" there, or cutting up river behind the horse pasture.

3. going to the Walker store by the Chevron station, seeking out the grandmother, who would tell me what's going on and about the Brookies up the Little Walker River.

4. forming a vehicle-snake-line along 395, only to pull over at a moments notice, to help plant the Alpers....move fast, plant, and back on the road before too many folks spotted what was going on.

5. recalling the bears taking over the town of Walker during a drought year.

6. tremendous fishing at the 395 Cal Trans pull-out near Eastside Lane.

7. the snakes and Saint Bernard's (especially the pups) at the Chevron station

8. the Basque restaurant in Walker, where you never walked away hungry.

9. watching the Dept. of Forestry fighting fires on the ground or air, helicopters and a plane scooping up water from Lake Topaz, to dump on a blaze, maneuvering carefully against the wind.

10. coming across soldiers, camo'ed out in the woods, and jets or choppers flying up the canyon.

8. many, many, big fish

9. memories, memories, memories.

Captain Compassion
07-29-2014, 09:44 AM
4. forming a vehicle-snake-line along 395, only to pull over at a moments notice, to help plant the Alpers....move fast, plant, and back on the road before too many folks spotted what was going on. 9. memories, memories, memories.

I do remember this. The Alpers truck would arrive in Walker around Noon. Pull into the Toyobe Motel and pick up a caravan of helpers.

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/080108-06.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/080108-07.jpg

I miss Alpers.

CC

PMR#9
07-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Memory Refresher Course I fished West Walker all day Monday and an hour Tuesday morning. 30+ fish caught and released including 3 browns to 16" - most memorable was a 5# 6oz I entered into the derby. I was tied for 1st place on weight but lost on length. 22 1/2" to 23 1/2" as of Monday evening. Big fish was caught at #2 Big Rock Hole. Thank you for your reply Lookin 4 Trout - great memory. Tuesday morning my brother and I fished at the Watergauge Station above Eastside Lane for 6 more including a 4# 8oz my brother caught and entered into the derby. On the road by 8am decided to head home over Monitor Pass and try the Carson. Fishing was outstanding in the campground - 20+ fish in less than 1 hour between the 2 of us the + was an understatement. Nothing under 2# and up to 4#. Stopped and had a burger at Todds and let him know the fish were there. Great trip and Great new memories. Jeff

Captain Compassion
07-29-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm sitting at 4.4# in the derby. Won't do much I suspect. Last year I was 9th place with a 5.8# fish. One last try on Thursday.

CC