PDA

View Full Version : Hope Valley W. Carson

grassfrog2407
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
anybody been up to Hope Valley/W. Carson lately? I am heading up towards the end of the week but have not heard how the fishing has been???

fat fish
07-21-2014, 05:46 PM
I want to get up in that area soon. Report back when u go please. I will do the same if I go.

hainesfisherman
07-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm going up sunday to the carsons and walkers for a few days I'll write a report when I return. Hopefully the water will have fully cleared by sunday. Mono county is planting #3-5 fish in the west walker every week for the rest of the summer.

Jetspray
07-22-2014, 05:00 AM
I'm going up sunday to the carsons and walkers for a few days I'll write a report when I return. Hopefully the water will have fully cleared by sunday. Mono county is planting #3-5 fish in the west walker every week for the rest of the summer.

Well at least until the "How big is big" derby is over. If you guys are waiting for a CC report he is on his way to Grand Junction Colorado to help Efren (Untalan1) pick up a boat..........Jetspray

clarksal
07-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Grassfrog-

I was just up that way this past weekend. We bank fished Red Lake Sunday morning and had a lot of nibbles on worms and lures. My friend caught 5 Lahontan cutthroats and a small bass. All were really small, she ended up throwing 3 back and kept two. I caught two small frys and threw them back as well. We fished the south bank not far from the dam.

Monday we started at Red lake, had a bite on some Fire Bait and that was it. We headed over to Caples lake, bought some worms at the store, asked the where the bite was on and they said over at the spill way. We got there about 08:40 and only stayed about 45 minutes. I had one bite and that was it. We headed back past the boat launch/store, crossed over the dam and parked just off the road right past the dam. I had my rod in the water maybe 30 minutes when I got my first hook up. There were two other guys fishing on the dam near us, and as they were leaving (with no fish), that's when I got my first. They were using worms as were we, but I was using the Mike's anise oil on mine and that might have made the difference. We started in that spot about 10:30 and left at 12:30. I left with 4 Rainbows. The bite tapered off about noon.

Caples is full. Red lake is not as full, and the Carson river is really, really low running through the Hope Valley.

Good luck.

Jetspray
07-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Very cool Clarksal, the new boat ramp area (at Caples) is usually full of freshly launched fish. They will head north and south from there, some end up at Woodscreek inlet to the south. That is where they do the planting now. Gulp in Orange Pulp, and Chunky Chartreuse are good baits to have at Caples .........Jetspray

grassfrog2407
07-22-2014, 12:04 PM
thanks Clarksal!

clarksal
07-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Jetspray-Thanks for the tip! That will help me fish Caples in the future.
Grassfrog-I forgot to add - when I was using worms and anise oil, I was using them on a balsa slip bobber, had about an 18" leader and set the bobber stop about 36" above that.

grassfrog2407
07-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Gotcha...thanks! :)

jakefield
07-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the posts. Heading up to Tahoe this Friday and expect to fish Caples and the West Carson Monday and Tuesday. Will post after.